Why become a member? ×

Question: Fender custom shop Mark Kendrick 66 value

SurroundedByManatees

Hi. 

I have been offered a Masterbuilt Fender Mark Kendrick 66 jazz bass

It has playwear on the front side, and the certificate is missing.. Otherwise it should be complete and great. 

2NQTC5G.jpg

The seller is looking for €2.750

Would this be fair considering condition and missing certificate? 

Cheers Patrick 

Edited by SurroundedByManatees

CS prices seem to be going up quite a bit, so for a MB without issues that’s a good price relatively. 

I don’t think play wear is a big issue with a reissue style bass. Missing certificates are another matter though, but if it’s young enough Fender customer service can give you the Shop Floor Traveller if you have the serial number, so you can check via the spec if it really is what it is - or if it’s a bitsa or fake. I know a British retailer that was looking into faking them, or parting out stolen ones 🙄

I wonder if MB have their own stamps on the body, like on the neck? Worth checking out what it’s got if it’s not pictured. 

Edited by Chiliwailer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chiliwailer said:

Good calls about a new certificate - I’m ‘fairly’ sure they don’t back date though, which is very odd, so for example if it’s a 2016 bass, the certificate will say 2021!

Yeah, I’m not quite sure how that works, I don’t suppose they issue replacements without plenty of proof , otherwise, there could be a possibility of skulduggery 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Yeah, I’m not quite sure how that works, I don’t suppose they issue replacements without plenty of proof , otherwise, there could be a possibility of skulduggery 

Think they just need photos and a dealer verification. But as it’s a Certificate of Authenticity and not a ‘birth certificate’ they just date it with that in mind. 

• Thanks 2

Thanks for the responses so far, they are very helpful :)

From what I've read on the net, its not very easy to get a replacement certificate. Especially when not the original first owner.

In the end its just a piece of paper of course, only giving garantee that there is a neckplate with a matching serial. Though I'm the kind of guy that likes stuff as complete as possible usually... 

The seller seems like a reliable party. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chiliwailer said:

Best to ask to see neck and body stamps (under Pickguard) then if you’re still interested - that can help a lot. It helped me sell a stunning CS bass a few years ago that was also missing the certificate.  

Will do, thanks 🙂

Edited by SurroundedByManatees
  • Like 1

@SurroundedByManatees - If it were me I would be looking to do all this first:

Get detailed/close up pictures of:

• The bass with the neck off - the neck heel back and butt as well as the body neck pocket
  • Close up of the headstock rear for the Master Builder logo position and detail
  • Control plate unscrewed with cavity and pot/electronics detail
  • The supplied case with any other original accessories

From there you can do internet comparison research on that Master Builder's style with logo, labeling, position, etc.

If the bass comes in a generic non-Fender/CS hard case with no accessories then that would scream stolen to me.

There's a lot to consider but as the others have said, if it's the real thing then that's a good price.

Good luck!

Edited by Noisyjon
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I bought the jazz. 

It took a while before I gathered all info I wanted, but the bass is totally legit. It has MK stamp in the neck pickup cavity and signatures on the neck and in the neck pocket. All other markings are there too. 

The seller (a small vintage bass shop) is trying to get the certificate (he knows the guy he got it from). It's probably left behind in the house of his ex wife where he left, and it wasn't a friendly split apparently.... So we'll see. 

Anyway, it's a superb bass with a very even and musical tone. I've fitted it with fender nps rounds, as my other jazz already has (thomastik) flats fitted. Both are nice varieties. 

• Like 2

Looks lovely. The master builds are a step up, I wouldn’t lump them in with ‘custom shop’, as my perception is that’s the team-built stuff. Pretty sure MB are into the £4k+ brackets, so decent find if you like it.

Si

This ones were made in a 100-piece batch in 2006, so I assume Mr Kendrick has had a little help to get the job done. 

Its obvious that this jazz has been loved and played a lot, as it already has a roadworn look. Especially on the back there is a lot of playwear/bucklerash. I don't mind the roadworn look at all, but I can imagine it lowers the value somewhat. I 'll upload a few pics this weekend. 

When looking at the prices of original 66 dots and binding jazzes, I think this one is my best bet within my financial range. And of course the color kicks. 

• Thanks 1