Why become a member? ×

Prejudice means you miss things

Owen

2 hours ago, TheLowDown said:

When i was young it was all rock rock rock and then new wave.  Now rock is probably the only genre that I rarely listen to.

It probably was the truth rather than a narrative. Floyd were like that too and could hardly play. . A lot of bands were like that and most of the bands and acts that we grew up loving were just average noodlers wanting to hit the big time. Music was more of a vehicle than anything else.

Agreed. Most musicians back in the day were self taught and making it up. Thats why it was so diverse and constantly changing.

• Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 13:46, Len_derby said:

This is why I like listening to the radio. I get to hear things I’d never know about otherwise. In these days of cookies stored on our devices and playlists it’s difficult to  ‘listen without prejudice’. Like Owen in the OP I was snooty about music as a youngster. Now I’m old I’ve come to the belief that there’s no good music or bad music. There’s just music we like and music we don’t like.

IMO there's three types of music; good, bad and indifferent. Indifferent music or mehsic accounts for the majority. It drifts through one ear and out the other. There's not much that haves me reaching for the off button but anything new that grabs me comes along as often as Halley's comet. When it does it could be anything. Recent ear grabbers are Levitate by Dua Lipa and All The Good Ones by Brothers Johnson, not from genres I  usually listen to. Both acts are excellent IMO.

On 22/03/2021 at 10:05, owen said:

What there is, is a set of really well crafted songs with solid playing and good production values.

All through my yoof, I was into rock and metal but even then I was blown away by the bass in the Madness songs. It was so prominent and he has such a great sound. It totally changed poor songs into masterpieces for me.

4 hours ago, ubit said:

All through my yoof, I was into rock and metal but even then I was blown away by the bass in the Madness songs. It was so prominent and he has such a great sound. It totally changed poor songs into masterpieces for me.

I worked with a bunch of young hairy bikers back in the late 70s early 80s. They were into Quo, the Stones, AC/DC, Motorhead.......and Madness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1