Why become a member? ×

Pickguard Material vs Tone!

taha_never

what's up BC?
just for the sake of a topic (I'm bored), to my hand and ears I hear more overtones w/ this gold anodized pg on my alder body maple fingerboard P-bass compared to my 3-ply black pg! just saying!

I imagine it's something that's barely noticeable in a mix. but solo it's there. not necessarily a brighter tone,  just a bit more ring and maybe sustain I can feel.
or is it just me? 🤔

2 hours ago, taha_never said:

what's up BC?
just for the sake of a topic (I'm bored), to my hand and ears I hear more overtones w/ this gold anodized pg on my alder body maple fingerboard P-bass compared to my 3-ply black pg! just saying!

I imagine it's something that's barely noticeable in a mix. but solo it's there. not necessarily a brighter tone,  just a bit more ring and maybe sustain I can feel.
or is it just me? 🤔

Its just you.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Beer of the Bass said:

Thick conductive metal around a pickup can have a measurable effect on the pickup's response, it causes eddy currents which act much like adding extra windings which are shorted out. Though that would usually have the effect of reducing high frequencies, making things darker sounding.

more like a raised pickup height, soundwise?

Edited by taha_never

It doesn't sound all too unlikely to me, after all the tone and resonance of an instrument is determined by the sum of all its parts. 

When I added a neck pickup cover to my Jazz Bass, I was also convinced I heard a tonal difference. It was as if it added some top end harmonics and a ringing sound to the instrument. When I recently removed it though, I didn't perceive any noticeable difference and now I'm not so sure any more xD

• Like 2

I believe the colour is far more significant than the material the pickguard is made from. 

Red will give you an angry tone, blue a more serene top end and gold is best for pulling and thumping. 

Curiously, both black and white guards do not alter the tone at all. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

51 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I believe the colour is far more significant than the material the pickguard is made from.

There have been tests with hifi stuff. An amp with brushed aluminum sounds harsh compared to the same amp with a black face. A speaker with brown textile sounds dull, where the same speaker with white or black textile sounds neutral - especially the black one...

Edited by itu
  • Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 07:43, taha_never said:

what's up BC?

or is it just me? 🤔

I'd love to have as much time as you do :D

• Haha 1

I am a firm believer that strings and pick ups are all that matters with an electric guitar. Acoustics are different. I have built basses out of cheap parts from Ebay, bought decent pick ups and strings and they sound fantastic. I like to have decent basses but don't think wood or graphite make any difference to the sound.

If you have been in isolation for the last 12 months with no company whatsoever, then that may be the reason you are hearing differences in tone and sustain from a scratch plate. If not then have you considered getting a family member to make notes while you use a stop watch to measure and compare sustain times?  

Edit:  If you have access to several family members, let each take it in turn to place an ear against body of bass while you pluck a note. Ask if they hear a difference in tone. Compare number of "yes" to "no" answers to conclude tonal  or non tonal differences.

Edited by Bleat
Added advice.

Not sure about the tonal advantages of strap buttons, though am wondering about the sonic advantage of actual guitar straps. For example would a 3.5 "  studded real leather strap make me sound more appropriate for Metal, rather than say a 2.5 " nylon strap with holes in it?

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

I'm thinking of trying some different strap buttons to improve my tone. Any suggestions?

For the buttons, no, but for strap-lock tone, the new Basschat strap-locks cannot be beaten, and are excellent value for not much money. A brilliant touch of glorious BC colour, at just the right spot to set off any combination of strap, tone-paint or natural finish. Forget the old, worn-out clichés of beer-bottle washers and get the new Basschat strap-lock for maximum tonal quality. Don't hesitate, order 'em today (plus a few spares for those basses you're sure to acquire shortly...). Don't get caught out, get the new Basschat strap-locks fitted right away..! Here's a handy link, to save you searching ...

Basschat Strap-locks ...

You know it makes sense. :friends: