Why become a member? ×

Bass Amp - Which one to choose

Phil_bassman

Hello People

I need help on choosing my next bass amp. I have previously posted about my Trace Elliot SMX GP12 having problems on this forum, well after three fixes and back and fourth to an amp tech. The amp gave out again today at band practise. So now as much as I love the amp and the sound it gives me, i think it's time to let go and move on. Only problem is I'm not sure which amp or manufacture to go with and where its not going to be burning a hole (too much) in my pocket.

I need an amp that gives me a punchy bass and treble sound that I got from the Trace Elliot Pre Shape, my sound is a mix between Mark King and Marcus Miller. Bass with enough punch and treble so you can hear every string being hit.

Few things i will miss from the Trace is the Graphic EQ, built in compression and the EQ balance mix. The EQ balance mix is such a great tool for when cutting through certain frequencies more when you are playing venues with not so great acoustics. So if theres any amps out there that people have had experience with which would give me the same qualities as my Trace Elliott than any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Sorry to hear your SMX is broken again.

There are pedals you can buy with the ‘Tilt’ function to replicate the EQ Balance. The Helix HXFX has one too.

EDIT - Or you could try to find a SMX pedal, although for not much more you could probably buy another SMX head.

Edited by Deedee