Why become a member? ×

Getting too comfortable with 16.5 string spacing

adriansmith247

7 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh ok, sorry. I have no real problem going between 4 and 5 strings, just the spacing.

As much as I only play 5 strings, and the 5 string fretless ibanezes are great, i never really found the B string on fretless all that useful. They don't seem to work well as flatwounds and they are a bit flappy on roundwounds!

Seems ok on my 6 string fretless, but a lot of people think the B string on a fretless is less useful than the high C.

19 minutes ago, adriansmith247 said:

On a 16.5 it is more about the left hand feeling a bit cramped and the right feeling more comfortable. That’s how I feel at the moment. 

I'm the exact opposite - a lot of my right hand technique (coupled with my fat fingers) involves getting into the space between the strings which is simply not possible with narrow spacing. 

It is all personal to each bass player. The issue I am struggling with is. do I want to get used to narrow spacing and then have to adjust back to wider spacing. The 16.5 feels so good.  I also play the bass with a lighter touch and I agree that it is essentially a different instrument. The adjustment time is short between basses and I am VERY unlikely to take two basses out anyway. 

This is all down to me having too much time to think about it. A few gigs with the bass would soon help me work out what to do. 

I have no problem with double bass string spacing but that is a completely different technique with the right hand. I would not be able to play an electric that had double bass spacing. 

2 hours ago, adriansmith247 said:

It is all personal to each bass player. The issue I am struggling with is. do I want to get used to narrow spacing and then have to adjust back to wider spacing. The 16.5 feels so good. 

If the 16.5 feels good, it seems like it is the right thing to play

• Like 1