Why become a member? ×

Essential Bass Players & Tracks?

DubDelay

10 hours ago, Skybone said:

You could simply fill the show with James Jamerson & Carole Kaye and not scratch the surface.

Add in a sprinkle of Paul McCartney & John Entwistle before you even get out of the 60's.

Of course, everyone has an opinion, and those opinions may vary.

Might have to make it a monthly special at this rate. Probably three Carol Kaye tunes at least. 

46 & 2 by Tool with Justin Chancellors on bas

State of Non Return by Om with Al Cisneros on the electric bass guitar 

Tom Sawyer by Rush bass by Geddy Lee 

War Pigs by Black Sabbath. Geezer Butler on bass, the greatest man ever to pick up a bass. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

Yours too, sir!

I think My Generation is one of finest singles of all time. Also one of the most exciting pieces of music I’ve ever heard. Can only imagine how it must have sounded on the radio when it was first released... 

Definitely.. It must have had far more impact than anything around at the time, including The Rolling Stones.. M

If doing it on a general radio show i'd go for bassists that majority of people might recognise or hit songs that have amazing bass lines.

Bassists like these that your audience will initially recognise the songs and you can explain who the bass player is.

Pino Palladino - Wherever i Lay my Hat

John Deacon -  Another One Bites the Dust

Bakitho Kumalo - You Can Call me Al. ( probably not a bassist most people will recognise the name but the song was a huge hit)

I guess it will depend on what type of audience you have.

Dave

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

If doing it on a general radio show i'd go for bassists that majority of people might recognise or hit songs that have amazing bass lines.

Bassists like these that your audience will initially recognise the songs and you can explain who the bass player is.

Pino Palladino - Wherever i Lay my Hat

John Deacon -  Another One Bites the Dust

Bakitho Kumalo - You Can Call me Al. ( probably not a bassist most people will recognise the name but the song was a huge hit)

I guess it will depend on what type of audience you have.

Dave

The show and station are eclectic so can get away with nearly anything, I. usually try to start with stuff people know or relate to and then lead into the less accessible sort of material.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dood said:

No problem! It's a collaborative playlist so if anyone has missed a great example, it can be added too!

Looking through it now, feeling like my meagre bass skills are improving already. Also there's enough in there to cover a years worth of shows. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DubDelay said:

Looking through it now, feeling like my meagre bass skills are improving already. Also there's enough in there to cover a years worth of shows. 

I'll share the link as a status too as I am sure we could all do with a bit of inspiration right now eh? I've not hit play on it for a while so I think I'll be doing that next!

• Like 1

On 20/03/2021 at 22:13, TheGreek said:

Noel Redding didn't get the recognition he deserved...

I knew Noel, and he woiuld most certainly have agreed with you.  And he would have quickly added "or the money!"

For my money I much preferred Billy Cox's playing - much more solid imho.

Edited by inthedoghouse
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dood said:

I'll share the link as a status too as I am sure we could all do with a bit of inspiration right now eh? I've not hit play on it for a while so I think I'll be doing that next!

Shame i cant play it unless i take on a free Spotify subscription. 

I have a sneaky suspicion i might actually have an account. 😁

I did and all sorted.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DubDelay said:

The show and station are eclectic so can get away with nearly anything, I. usually try to start with stuff people know or relate to and then lead into the less accessible sort of material.

This sounds like a great approach to running a radio station. Is it possible for us to listen on-ine?

• Like 1

On 22/03/2021 at 13:07, pete.young said:

This sounds like a great approach to running a radio station. Is it possible for us to listen on-ine?

Yup. They are a cool bunch really. Incapablestaircase.com 

I should add they are always looking for new hosts, it’s all community based radio from around Stroud. I’m in Ireland and there’s people from all over with shows on there now. My mate got my involved he’s from around there. 

Edited by DubDelay