Why become a member? ×

Foam used for guitar stands/racks - what’s it called?

As the title says, really.

Context - I’m making a compact multi-guitar rack to fit into a specific space. All the commercial ones I’ve looked at have too much space between instruments, and as this is for home use only, where I can spare a few seconds to take care taking the instruments out and putting them back, I think I can get 5 basses/electric guitars in the space of a commercial rack for three. 

I’m using pipe lagging at the moment, but it’s not quite as dense as I’d like. 

Supplementary question - would be even better to know the type that Hercules use which apparently won’t react with nitro finishes?  Though seeing as I only have the one nitro finish instrument, which happens to be the most valuable, it’ll probably carry on living in its case.

Bloody foam!

I took a gun out of it's case today only to find the cylinder, (it's a revolver), stuck up with degrading lumps of the bloody foam - that's supposed to be there to protect the contents!!

Makes my p155 boil 😠

At least my bass cases have a nice finish friendly, (I hope), furry lining over the foam.

1 hour ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

Shameful, I know, but I’ve purchased only a single piece of gear since lockdown started, and that was an acoustic - guitar, not bass.  I deserve to be thrown off basschat!

You’re clearly a witch and should 🔥 

On decent quality gear it's normally Neoprene. If you're making your own gear, it might be worth getting in touch with the local sailing/canoe/wild swimming club, see if you can pick up a wetsuit or two cheap. Lots of wetsuits these days have a fabric facing on the neoprene, which stops the foam disintegrating or sticking to the finish of the guitar. High performance dinghy sailors also use a thing called Progrip, which comes in varying thicknesses and is also pretty durable and inert

8 hours ago, KiOgon said:

Bloody foam!

I took a gun out of it's case today only to find the cylinder, (it's a revolver), stuck up with degrading lumps of the bloody foam - that's supposed to be there to protect the contents!!

Makes my p155 boil 😠

At least my bass cases have a nice finish friendly, (I hope), furry lining over the foam.

Off topic briefly, but offered in the spirit of safety: after you clean it, perhaps it is worth trying a vapour barrier bag for long-term storage. Foam can certainly react in an unwelcome manner.

Regarding the OP's quest: I don't think Hercules discloses the formulation of their foam. Neoprene should work with anything but a nitro finish that hasn't finished curing, I would guess.  If in doubt, perhaps neoprene covered in a fabric that you know will be safe?

I agree that keeping the vauable nitro instrument in its case is a wise approach regardless.

Thanks for all the replies.  So:

TheLowDown, neilp:  Neoprene - good call.  Have some neoprene foam based pipe insulation coming so will give that a try for the bars the instruments sit on.  Also some neoprene rubber strip for lining the inside of the neck cradles.

StickyDBRmf: Pool noodles look like a good idea, but not sure I could cope with bright yellow or neon pink!

Downunderwonder, chris_b, Bolo: All ideas worth trying - I'll see if I'm satisfied with the neoprene.

KiOgon: I'm not likely to turn to a life of crime, but if I ever do then you won't be on my list of properties to visit 😁

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

Thanks for all the replies.  So:

TheLowDown, neilp:  Neoprene - good call.  Have some neoprene foam based pipe insulation coming so will give that a try for the bars the instruments sit on.  Also some neoprene rubber strip for lining the inside of the neck cradles.

StickyDBRmf: Pool noodles look like a good idea, but not sure I could cope with bright yellow or neon pink!

Downunderwonder, chris_b, Bolo: All ideas worth trying - I'll see if I'm satisfied with the neoprene.

KiOgon: I'm not likely to turn to a life of crime, but if I ever do then you won't be on my list of properties to visit 😁

I choose purple and green. Hard to not find many uses for the stuff and@ a buck a pop (Dollar Tree - don't know what u got over there) you can't go wrong. You could always cover 'em in fabric.