gareth

Its cheaper to buy bass gear from USA/Europe

Posted (edited)

We’ve discussed the extra VAT and charges  on buying stuff from abroad 

Looking at these graphs it seems that the pound now buys you more euros and dollars now

Partly offsetting the extra VAT and charges

Funny I don’t recall MSM and BBC reporting this good news - not just for us bass players but also for U.K. tourists going to USA and Europe when allowed - their tourist pound will buy more than it did a year ago

Now isn’t that good - despite Brexit?!?

37883A68-EFB5-4A0D-A19C-1C09FF21E572.png

0284EA90-6806-4C96-858D-57F73CD45B3F.png

Edited by gareth
  • Like 1

Good news for us at present then, and long may it last.

• Like 1

The last thing 'they' want is you going abroad & spending money

(it's called 'invisible exports')

😎

It means British exports are more expensive, so good for you but not quite so positive for British industry.

14 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

It means British exports are more expensive, so good for you but not quite so positive for British industry.

^This, plus 1,16  euros is not exactly great from where it started. So no 'good' news for MSM to be reporting.

• Like 1

A modest part of my pension comes from my earlier UK earnings, and is paid in GBP. I doubt that I'll be guzzling champagne on such tiny movements, though. Maybe a Euro or two each month..? Yippee.

727bzDj.jpg

46 minutes ago, Doctor J said:

:) Swings and roundabouts, mostly, in manufacturing industry. If a company is dependent on - say - imported components and raw materials then the cost of manufacture theoretically drops.

Doesn't work for exported services, though.

Posted (edited)

If you're talking new basses from the US, many retailers won't ship direct to the UK - you need to get someone to buy it in the US and then send it to you. 

I suppose there's less risk now that instruments are generally exempt from aspects of CITES that caused a problem previously - you've still got the hassle of customs and VAT though.

In the earlier 2000s (when £1 bought you $2 worth of US goods - yes folks it's not that long ago - and definitely before the age of the garagista (sic)) it was even worth flying to the US, buying a bass and bringing it back in a gig bag. Even allowing for customs etc. 

Edited by drTStingray

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

If you're talking new basses from the US, many retailers won't ship direct to the UK - you need to get someone to buy it in the US and then send it to you. 

I suppose there's less risk now that instruments are generally exempt from aspects of CITES that caused a problem previously - you've still got the hassle of customs and VAT though.

In the earlier 2000s (when £1 bought you $2 worth of US goods - yes folks it's not that long ago - and definitely before the age of the garagista (sic)) it was even worth flying to the US, buying a bass and bringing it back in a gig bag. Even allowing for customs etc. 

Yep, I went across to the US with a group of people sometime around 1996 I think. One guy was heavily into photography and bought a huge amount of camera gear. He reckoned that the money he saved from buying just one lens was enough to fund the trip and the rest of his purchases!