Why become a member? ×

Rock Up My Rig

Plankbadger

I am a newish bass player.

The bass is a four string Ibanez BTB 550 with Bartolini pickups and I use a Little Mark 250 head
going into two Ashdown cabs; an ABM 115 Compact II and an ABM 210T Compact.

To my ears, the rig sounds killer for cleaner styles of music but it is a rather too polite for heavier ones.

I am considering buying/using one of more pedals to rock it up...

Behringer BDI 21 Bass Amp Modeller
Electro Harmonic OpAmp BigMuff
Harley Benton American
Harley Benton Ultimate Drive
Harley Benton Vintage Overdrive
TC Nether octaver.

Would one or more of those pedals do a good job or is there another pedal that is a better option?

Also, for recording and not live, would a Marshall JMP-1 preamp or Marshall JCM 900 SLX or even a studio compressor (1176 clone) give

authentic sounds? Hoping to hear how you guys achieve good rock tone live and studio wise.

Hey welcome to BC!

I'm a bit of a stuck record on this(!) but if you're getting into a particular set of pedals for the first time then you get a ton of choice / opportunity as to see what's likely to work or not work by going for a cheaper multifx - and then you can follow up with a dedicated pedal which will nail the particular sound you're after.

Personally I've got a Zoom B1-4 on my board and it also doubles up as a tuner, drum machine and headphone amp (with aux in) - as well as providing a decent selection of dirt options from Darkglass to RAT.

The other recommendation if you are going for dedicated pedals is to see if you can pick up decent quality ones up used - that way you shouldn't lose much at all on a resale and means you get to A/B a bunch of pedals without breaking the bank. And one of the helpful things about buying from the BC for sale forums are the feedback threads which can you give you a lot of assurance that you're dealing with genuine folk.

Having said all that the HB and Behringer pedals are already incredibly good value!

• Like 2

:crigon_04:

I’m a Tech21 fanboy, so I’d say the Behringer BDI 21 is a great place to start and will also cover recording duties. Then, if you like what it does, you could upgrade to a full on BDDI or VTDI.

Edited by ezbass
  • Like 1

Agree with the BDI21 recommendation as a solid starting point!

Also the Zoom B1on / B3n do a pretty damn good emulation of a Sansamp BDDI and Darkglass B7K.

For studio use you can record dry and do everything via plugins like Helix Native (which has a free trial!), but a common trick for heavier music is to mix a clean lowpassed compressed signal with a highpassed distorted signal. The Tech21 DP3X and Darkglass X7 can do this trick in one pedal.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

Also the Zoom B1on / B3n do a pretty damn good emulation of a Sansamp BDDI and Darkglass B7K.

And just to tie that in with my earlier post the available effects patches on B3N and B1-4 are the pretty much identical.

I think the B1-on has been now been discontinued, but still come up used.

• Like 1

One thing that's not been mentioned yet, is that if you're looking to use a distortion/fuzz/overdrive on your bass, then you need to find one that is specifically for bass use, in other words, it has a "Blend"/"Mix" function on it,

Distortion etc. robs the bass of the low end, and so although it'll sound great on it's own, it'll get lost in a band situation. Which is where the "Blend"/"Mix" comes in. You need to keep a certain amount of the clean signal coming through in order to keep the low end. Start at 50% mix, & work from there.

Bearing that in mind, the BDI21 is the one to go for.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plankbadger said:

Thanks for the information everyone, I think I should checkout the Behringer BDI 21 Bass Amp Modeller  initially.

It is super cheap and doubles as a DI to get things to line level - quite handy.

I wouldn't be too sure about the line level. Even the 'line' on the Sansamp isn't so hot for some pro applications.

On 20/03/2021 at 11:09, ezbass said:

:crigon_04:

I’m a Tech21 fanboy, so I’d say the Behringer BDI 21 is a great place to start and will also cover recording duties. Then, if you like what it does, you could upgrade to a full on BDDI or VTDI.

As above. I have too many Tech21 products, all excellent.  The most outstanding for me  is the Leeds model, I can re-live my youth when I had real Hiwatts :).  

s the Leeds

I'd start with the Behringer BDI for sure. The best value for money pedal out there. The blend knob is your friend!

If you're a fingerstyle player I'd also consider adding an Ashdown Hyperdrive (James Lomenzo signature). Still my favourite pedal after years of trying out all sorts. 

• Like 1