Why become a member? ×

Anyone know what I was doing in 1990?

leschirons

9 hours ago, pete.young said:

Cut short due to arrests? You can't leave us hanging!

The plan was to keep going in one of the middle carriages until we were arrested; we lasted a good half hour of banging away on acoustics, with lots of jumping around and gymnastics on the various poles and bars, before we were warned by a Transport policeman that this wasn;'t allowed... So like good boys we rather gratefully sneaked off with no arrests, and barely even the threat of it. But we could have been if it hadn't been for those pesky kids etc!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, leschirons said:

Maybe I just wasn't listening then.  😆

I think it's very genre specific, arguably a defining year for the mellower end of hip hop, some early indicators of indie and Britpop to come, a pretty bad year for rock (although that all changed on September 24th the following year), but terrible year for pop, although part of me has a sneaking liking for Van the Man :)

• Like 1

I can't remember any music from 1990, I was immersed in fatherhood with the birth of our second daughter, and working on Saturday Night Clive. 

I might have gone to see Eric Clapton at the RAH, wife (at the time) and I saw him there a few times when our girls were young.

Those of us into dance or R and B orientated music, or even the Madchester scene had quite a lot from 1990 to like. I've just realised that (I've got) The Power by Snap was released in 1990 - as well as a classic rave track it's also memorable for me as when it came on the car radio my then 5 yr old daughter, sat in the back, would excaim 'No you haven't' every time the words 'I've Got the Power' came out of the car radio!!! 

I always thought 1977 was famous for such seminal disco greats as Chic and a multitude of others whereas the NME proclaimed punk was THE thing in 1977 - for some it was but I'm willing to bet that Chic, Abba and others touched more people than bands like the Radiators From Space ever did!! AND I'm sure you could find the usual UK studio novelty stuff in the charts (the Grandad - Clive Dunn type of thing - though he was probably not 1977). And we had Weather Report crossing over with Birdland etc etc followed by Herbie Hancock and others. 

I always thought punk was Dr Feelgood (and other similar high energy pub rock bands) + gobbling + dear old Vivienne and Malcolm's fashion input, perhaps with slightly less musical aplomb than Wilco, Brillo and co. 

As others have said, views on the validity of music in particular years tend to be based to an extent on musical taste - presumably by 1990 not only had (some of) hip hop mellowed but punk had passed, Weller had mellowed - was ska still alive as a genre outside of its Jamaican origins? 

Edited by drTStingray

Those totp1990s are really interesting.

Really experimental.

The ones I've seen have:

Cheesy pop, ballads, old 60s songs (I think from twin peaks), indie, rock, heavy metal, novelty records, party music, early dance music and mainstream dance music.

I love em!

Not sure about 90,but 91 was a stellar year for rock music:

RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Rage against the machine - RATM

Nirvana - Nevermind

Pearl Jam - Ten

Metallica - Black Album

Primus - Sailing the seas of cheese

Guns n Roses - Use your illusion

I'm sure there are many more. What a year, its such a shame I was only 6. I would have loved to have been 10 years older... 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Crawford13 said:

Not sure about 90,but 91 was a stellar year for rock music:

RHCP - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Rage against the machine - RATM

Nirvana - Nevermind

Pearl Jam - Ten

Metallica - Black Album

Primus - Sailing the seas of cheese

Guns n Roses - Use your illusion

I'm sure there are many more. What a year, its such a shame I was only 6. I would have loved to have been 10 years older... 

All of the above! 
Back on topic - 1990 saw the release of Megadeth’s seminal ‘Rust In Peace’.

• Like 1

All the number 1's from the Hit Parade in 1990...

Edited to include the first number 1 of the year which had been hanging around since the previous year:

23/12/1989 DO THEY KNOW IT'S CHRISTMAS? BAND AID II 3

DATE TITLE ARTIST WKS AT NO.1
16/01/1990 HANGIN' TOUGH NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK 2
27/01/1990 TEARS ON MY PILLOW KYLIE MINOGUE 1
03/02/1990 NOTHING COMPARES 2 U SINEAD O'CONNOR 4
03/03/1990 DUB BE GOOD TO ME BEATS INTERNATIONAL FEATURING LINDY LAYTON 4
31/03/1990 THE POWER SNAP 2
14/04/1990 VOGUE MADONNA 4
12/05/1990 KILLER ADAMSKI 4
09/06/1990 WORLD IN MOTION ENGLANDNEWORDER 2
23/06/1990 SACRIFICE/HEALING HANDS ELTON JOHN 5
28/07/1990 TURTLE POWER PARTNERS IN KRYME 4
25/08/1990 ITSY BITSY TEENY WEENY YELLOW POLKA DOT BIKINI BOMBALURINA FT. TIMMY MALLETT 3
15/09/1990 THE JOKER STEVE MILLER BAND 2
29/09/1990 SHOW ME HEAVEN MARIA MCKEE 4
27/10/1990 A LITTLE TIME BEAUTIFUL SOUTH 1
03/11/1990 UNCHAINED MELODY RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS 4
01/12/1990 ICE ICE BABY VANILLA ICE 4
29/12/1990 SAVIOUR'S DAY CLIFF RICHARD 1
Edited by MacDaddy
to include the first no1 of the year

4 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

I've heard (of...) two of 'em, the 'Bikini' one and 'Unchained Melody'..! xD Half of the artists are new to me, too. 9_9

Conversely there's only two that i haven't heard of (songs) - the Kylie Minogue and Maria McKee - also a notable year for the first in a series of overtly religiously themed Christmas singles by Cliff Richard - this one failing to make number 1 until after Christmas - much as I like Cliff's rock and roll and some of his pop stuff, these singles did result in me changing radio channel if they came on - I think this was when radio 1 banned him as well!!!

The thing with number 1 singles by year, you miss out stacks of good songs, which were in the charts during the year - 1990 being no exception - wasn't there a famous Beatles single kept off number 1 by Englebert Humperdinck (he from Leicester) with Please Release Me sometime in the 60s - apparently appealed to many females, especially middle aged 😬

Edited by drTStingray
Mugged by spell checker again....