Why become a member? ×

Anyone know what I was doing in 1990?

leschirons

I only ask because I've just watched an old TOTP from 1990.

The ONLY two numbers I'd heard before were Take my breath away,  and

Un-chained melody😳

There were big names in there, Elton John, George Michael, Paul Simon and Wings but I'd stake my life on never having heard any of the songs before.

Is it me? or was 1990 really that unmemorable?

No, it really was that unmemorable, as I’m sure 91 - 93 will be too. Apart from REMs Out of Time I don’t think I purchased any current music from the early 90s, I even gave up playing in 91 for about 4 or 5 years, that period, until Brit Pop just seemed so dull - even grunge didn’t inspire anything from me.

• Like 2

I was about 22 in 1990, and not much I was listening to was on TOTP. Chilli Peppers, Faith No More, a bit of metal, a bit of rock... a bit of post comeback Aerosmith was probably as mainstream as it got. Live and local there was some good blues stuff in there, that definitely wasn’t on TOTP.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leschirons said:

I only ask because I've just watched an old TOTP from 1990.

The ONLY two numbers I'd heard before were Take my breath away,  and

Un-chained melody😳

There were big names in there, Elton John, George Michael, Paul Simon and Wings but I'd stake my life on never having heard any of the songs before.

Is it me? or was 1990 really that unmemorable?

Well if you exclude such classics as Step On (Happy Mondays) (in fact their album Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches), Fools Gold (Stone Roses), Soul to Soul (Back to Life etc), Killer (Adamski), Nothing Compares to You (Sinead O'Connor), Sacrifice (Elton John), Vogue (and album Immaculate Collection), Madonna and various other  seminal or reasonably seminal music, along with the famous World Cup in Italy with Bobby Robson in charge (and England ejected in a penalty shoot out) and loads of other stuff maybe. The Rave scene was big in this period. 

For me it's a pretty memorable year!! 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, drTStingray said:

Well if you exclude such classics as Step On (Happy Mondays) (in fact their album Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches), Fools Gold (Stone Roses), Soul to Soul (Back to Life etc), Killer (Adamski), Nothing Compares to You (Sinead O'Connor), Sacrifice (Elton John), Vogue (and album Immaculate Collection), Madonna and various other  seminal or reasonably seminal music, along with the famous World Cup in Italy with Bobby Robson in charge (and England ejected in a penalty shoot out) and loads of other stuff maybe. The Rave scene was big in this period. 

For me it's a pretty memorable year!! 

You missed out the Soup Dragons' 'I'm Free' (loved that tune!).

I remember going to Reading Festival and seeing Ride, Living Colour, Buzzcocks, Pixies, FNM, Iggy Pop (or was that '91?)...I think I stopped watching TOTP about then so watching them now  feels like I missed a great chunk (or not so great 😆) of music from that era.

A quick glance at wikipedia shows:

"Nothing compares to you" - Skinhead O'Connor

"Killer" - Adam Ski and Seal

"World in motion" - New Order

"Ice Ice under pressure Baby" - Vanilla Ice Cream

Amongst others. It also brought us those modern day classics "Hangin' Tough" by the New Kids on the Block and "Turtle Power" by Jumping on the bandwagon/Partners in Kryme