Why become a member? ×

Get Your Strap On...

binky_bass

Evening Gentlefolk,

May we discuss our straps?

I've been on a mini-mission to obtain the perfect strap... from my experience over the past few months, I have concluded that straps are wholly underrated items. 

I haven't used a 'seat belt' type strap in many a year, but have used many different straps that we could class as 'above average' over the last 6 months in a mission to obtain the perfect strap.

By far and away, the best strap I own at this moment is an ACG strap, UK made, leather on top, suede on the underside and nicely padded. All in 9/10. Only deducting 1 point as they are rather pricey, but to be honest, it's worth it. The build is impeccable and the suede underside is excellent at preventing slippage.

I've also taken delivery of 2 Richter straps recently, the solid leather and Vegan leather 4.5 inch straps. Both more than good, but the lack of padding is a bit puzzling - for the price point they should have more padding. At £75 full price, I'd opt for the ACG instead. 

Mono-straps, neostraps and comfort strapps are all actually very good indeed and all come in sub £40, I've got 4 of these and have no gripes. 

What straps do you have and recommend? Keen to understand what the pinnacle of strapology is these days!

For live work I use a Dunlop D38-09BK Nylon Guitar Strap as they look cool (if they’re good enough for Duff McKagan they’re good enough for me).

For rehearsals I use a Mono M80 Betty Strap as it provides good support for 3+ hours with a bass.

I must be a weirdo. 

In every thread about straps, one of the key features seems to be a grippy inner. It's the one thing that puts me off a strap. 

I'm fairly animated and like to be able to move my bass around and even when I don't, a grippy strap just results in whatever top I'm wearing ending up all bunched up on my shoulder. 

I honestly don't get the love of a grippy strap, but hey, we'll all different right? 

I use the Mono Betty as it gives decent support without being grippy. 

🙂

I've just re read that and a 'grippy inner' sounds like a rectal issue. 😖

• Haha 2

I'm limited because I don't use leather but I really like Couch (USA) and the 'Mojo' range from RightOn! (Spain).  I have a strap by either of those companies for each of my eight basses.  I've got a couple of the recycled seatbelt straps but depending on the bass they can be just a bit too slippery.

Edited by inthedoghouse

I like wide padded jobbies, I currently use the Maruszczyk ones that came with my basses. However, and this isn’t just Maruszczyk, I don’t like the ladder affair you get with most leather straps, I’d much prefer a sliding buckle that you get with fabric straps. There must be a hybrid out there that I’m unaware of (Monos come close, but really aren’t wide enough for me).

Conversely, you could always make your own, a la Billy Sheehan:

i have quite a few of the Levy's suede ones but for my bass my go-to strap is from Leathergraft, i bought it on a whim from a local shop and it's the perfect mix for me, 3" wide, soft leather on the top, grippy suede on the back, just the right amount of padding and not stupidly expensive.

Leathergraft Liverpool - Guitar Straps, Leather Goods, Straps

mine is the Pro deluxe, I might actually order for my new 5 string 

On 22/03/2021 at 16:43, Matt P said:

i have quite a few of the Levy's suede ones but for my bass my go-to strap is from Leathergraft, i bought it on a whim from a local shop and it's the perfect mix for me, 3" wide, soft leather on the top, grippy suede on the back, just the right amount of padding and not stupidly expensive.

Leathergraft Liverpool - Guitar Straps, Leather Goods, Straps

mine is the Pro deluxe, I might actually order for my new 5 string 

I used to use Softys and eventually wore them out. I have stated earlier that I dislike ladder adjustments. However, I see that the Fab Softy features this dubious adjustment, but with a buckle adjustment at the other end. Ooh! Colour me intrigued.

2 hours ago, ezbass said:

I used to use Softys and eventually wore them out. I have stated earlier that I dislike ladder adjustments. However, I see that the Fab Softy features this dubious adjustment, but with a buckle adjustment at the other end. Ooh! Colour me intrigued.

I have a love-hate thing with the ladder adjustment but i very rarely adjust my strap after the first time and having bought a strap with a metal buckle i ended up making a soft cover to go over the buckle as i was paranoid about scratching the guitar i was using it with and i haven't touched the adjustment since the first initial setup. the ladder adjustment does have the one advantage that once adjusted it stays put unlike with the nylon straps i've used)

I'm almost tempted to have a one piece non adjustable strap made to my preferred length.

23 minutes ago, Matt P said:

I have a love-hate thing with the ladder adjustment but i very rarely adjust my strap after the first time and having bought a strap with a metal buckle i ended up making a soft cover to go over the buckle as i was paranoid about scratching the guitar i was using it with and i haven't touched the adjustment since the first initial setup. the ladder adjustment does have the one advantage that once adjusted it stays put unlike with the nylon straps i've used)

I'm almost tempted to have a one piece non adjustable strap made to my preferred length.

I know exactly what you mean... 

I used to swerve ladder straps like there's no tomorrow but over the last few months of really going into a deep strap binge to find out what works best for me, it turns out that ladder straps are the one! Not having a metal/plastic buckle is a real bonus and good peace of mind against damaging your bass.

As you say, once adjusted, I never adjust again. I know my preferred length and me being 6'4" I'm not planning on growing any more so can't see why I'd want to adjust regularly enough for ladder straps to be an issue. 

The perfect combination for me is 4.5 - 5" wide, suede underside, leather top, 4 - 6mm padding between, ladder adjusted to 115cm hole to hole, no metal/plastic to be seen and double stitched all the way around. THAT'S the magic combination! 

Trouble is, I can't really find anyone that does that combo at 5". Pinegrove do an excellent 4" strap and after speaking to them they're debating doing a 5" which if they do, then that'll be me sorted!!!

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

I know exactly what you mean... 

I used to swerve ladder straps like there's no tomorrow but over the last few months of really going into a deep strap binge to find out what works best for me, it turns out that ladder straps are the one! Not having a metal/plastic buckle is a real bonus and good peace of mind against damaging your bass.

As you say, once adjusted, I never adjust again. I know my preferred length and me being 6'4" I'm not planning on growing any more so can't see why I'd want to adjust regularly enough for ladder straps to be an issue. 

The perfect combination for me is 4.5 - 5" wide, suede underside, leather top, 4 - 6mm padding between, ladder adjusted to 115cm hole to hole, no metal/plastic to be seen and double stitched all the way around. THAT'S the magic combination! 

Trouble is, I can't really find anyone that does that combo at 5". Pinegrove do an excellent 4" strap and after speaking to them they're debating doing a 5" which if they do, then that'll be me sorted!!!

that combo sounds pretty good, although i have my straps a hair longer at 121cm hole to hole, maybe we need a Basschat Official strap to go with the straplocks? if the price was sensible then i'd have one, maybe with a little discrete branding? I wonder how many orders they would need to make it reality?

Matt

I recommend going on Etsy and finding someone to make you one the exact length you want. I had a button hole either side of my chosen length so it has some adjustability if I need it but like you I like the simplicity of a fixed strap without a buckle 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matt P said:

that combo sounds pretty good, although i have my straps a hair longer at 121cm hole to hole, maybe we need a Basschat Official strap to go with the straplocks? if the price was sensible then i'd have one, maybe with a little discrete branding? I wonder how many orders they would need to make it reality?

Matt

I’ve thought about that and may still do it. I haven’t had time to look into it though but no reason why it couldn’t be done, if I don’t get enough preorders then they don’t get made