Why become a member? ×

Video issue in Reaper (resolved)

Nail Soup

So I've finally downloaded Reaper, with a view to use it for video editing and maybe replacing my music DAW.

When I dragged a .wmv file in it worked OK, but when I dragged a .mov file in it gave an error message ("Could not import 1 out of 1 items"). Of course mov files are what I will mostly use.

I found the following tip on the Reaper forum:

1942598749_Reaperadvice.png.0eb67cfb1cdf6650d9f66136fa3382d7.png

It's a bit beyond my technical understanding...... what do you think? Should I go ahead and drag those files in?

NB: the link (http://aegiscorp.free.fr/ffmpeg/)  is still up and has the files as a zip.

I'd be wary. The advice is 11 years old, and really by now Reaper should natively support non-windows audio and video formats, especially since iPhones are so ubiquitous.

Personally I would contact the makers of Reaper direct and see what they say. 

If they are still recommending this solution they should point you at a legitimate download source like the one direct from https://www.ffmpeg.org

• Thanks 1

Update: I followed the advice above and found a more recent (last few months) topic in the forum with a link to  a Reaper help site with an up to date article and links.

In the end I followed the link there, downloaded some .dll files and put them in the plugin folder.

It seems to work OK now, although I just did a few simple tests.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Are you on Windows or Mac OS? The advice being given is for a Windows machine, but .mov is a Mac video file format. Confused.

3 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

@BigRedX - thanks for responding!
I’m on Windows, but record the video on my IPhone.

I didn’t know mov was an apple format 😊.

I didn't know that either ... I've been happily using MOV files for years on a PC (I've never actualy owned an Apple) and recently with Reaper, especially since @Silvia Bluejay's old Canon SX40 generates only that type of file AFAIK.

• Like 1

.MOVs were originally the native files used by Quicktime, which began as an Apple program, then quickly (npi) moved to PC. MOVs are now an almost universal, cross-platform format, although they are being replaced by high-quality MP4s as the default recording format in many non-pro or semi-pro cameras and camcorders.

Edited by Silvia Bluejay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Nail Soup changed the title to Video issue in Reaper (resolved)