Why become a member? ×

* SOLD* - Ernie Ball Music Man Bongo 4H with OHSC
£800
Nottingham

petecarlton

2009 - Sterling Silver (see registration database details in the pix).

These are as rare now as hen’s teeth – none on Reverb and the latest version is nearly £2000 and has horrible little black tuners – probably lighter, but nowhere near as cool as the original clover keys.  Although the current Bongos tend to be HH or HS, there’s a lot of love out there for the 4H as deservedly the most “authentic”-sounding (by which I mean Stingray-sounding) variant.

I bought this from @Sparky Mark here on Basschat 18 months ago for £750 and it’s been my go-to bass ever since.  Since then it’s been expertly set up by Dan Orellana at the Music Inn in Nottingham and fitted with the drop-D Hipshot tuner, which cost me £70 from Bass Direct and works like a dream.  I still have the original tuner and will include it in the sale.

This lovely bass is in near-mint condition.  I can find only one tiny nick in the body, which I’ve shown in the pictures as best I can; and the “pointy” part of the headstock and the jack socket are pristine (they’re often not, for obvious reasons).  The case itself is incredibly protective, and has some (but not very much) case candy, if that's the sort of thing you like, and… I have the key!!!

The ONLY reason I’m parting with this awesome bass is because I’ve had back problems for years, long before I started playing bass, and – although this is not heavy at 8.6lb – I’ve been finding it a bit of a strain, so I tend to turn to my short-scale Gretsch for preference.  Of course, the Gretsch – great-sounding as it is – cannot match the classic Music Man growl and punch of this Bongo, which boasts a lightweight basswood (linden/lime tree) body, a beautiful rosewood fretboard, meaty 18v on-board pre-amp and massively-flexible three-band EQ, and will happily cut through any mix.  

I am putting this up for sale elsewhere, but not at this price, which is exclusive to Basschat.  So, if you’re looking for a premium bass at a bargain price, look no further!

I’m in Nottingham and happy to let Basschatters with serious interest come and try it out before buying; or I can post/courier at whatever the going rate is, depending on your requirements; or you can arrange your own courier.  I’m not sure of costs at the moment – I’ll get quotes when I know I’ve got to pack it up and have an accurate weight for bass + case + packaging.  Payment by cash on collection/bank transfer or PayPal Goods and Services (as long as you pay the fees).

I’m afraid I’m not up for trades – I need the dosh to eat and (almost more importantly) to feed my GAS! 

Thanks for looking!

Pete

20210319_144230.jpg

20210319_144204.jpg

20210319_143325.jpg

20210319_143104.jpg

20210319_143344 rotated.jpg

20210319_143650.jpg

20210319_143831.jpg

20210319_143506.jpg

2021-03-19.png

20210319_143940.jpg

20210319_144124.jpg

20210319_145007.jpg

20210319_145712.jpg

20210319_145835.jpg

20210319_150641.jpg

Edited by petecarlton
Item sold (on Basschat)
  • Like 9

My only real experience with Stingrays as such was the Ray34 I parted with to get this (now in the hands of my teacher @nottswarwick of this parish) and I would say there is no difference, other than the finish, which was natural on the Ray and satin on the Bongo.  I have fairly small hands and I've always found it comfortable and easy to move around the neck.  I believe, though I've owned neither, that it would be slimmer than a P and bulkier than a J - I think it's somewhere between the two.  What's distinctive is the tone - this is a powerful piece of bass!

7 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

Hey there Pete, good luck with your sale but that is indeed the original black pearloid scratchplate. 

Oh thanks Mark, just doesn't look very black to me. I thought I was only red-green colour-blind, must be worse than I thought!  I'll edit accordingly.  Hope you're getting on OK in these strange times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, petecarlton said:

Oh thanks Mark, just doesn't look very black to me. I thought I was only red-green colour-blind, must be worse than I thought!  I'll edit accordingly.  Hope you're getting on OK in these strange times.

I'm good thanks Pete. Another thing that could be significant to buyers is whether you are including the original machine head that you've swapped out for the D-tuner? I'd edit the pickguard comment sooner than later too if I were you. GLWYS. 

Edited by Sparky Mark
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Sparky Mark said:

I'm good thanks Pete. Another thing that could be significant to buyers is whether you are including the original machine head that you've swapped out for the D-tuner? I'd edit the pickguard comment sooner than later too if I were you. GLWYS. 

All done - I meant to include the point about the tuner and had a (very) senior moment!

• Like 1

I have to tell you that I am very tempted indeed. In fact, I'm more thinking about the logistics as I am located up here in Blackpool. I'd drive down if it wasn't for this covid nonsense 

Edited by Damon
Change

10 hours ago, Sparky Mark said:

All done - I meant to include the point about the tuner and had a (very) senior moment!

3 hours ago, Damon said:

I have to tell you that I am very tempted indeed. In fact, I'm more thinking about the logistics as I am located up here in Blackpool. I'd drive down if it wasn't for this covid nonsense 

Hi Damon

I've PMed you.

Pete

Thank god Was seriously thinking up schemes to buy this and then make it and my Ice Blue Bongo 4H my perfect future gigging pair for when lockdown ends.

Love my 4H (also a 2009)It has a superb neck, the ergonomics of the bass when standing are first class and the tone/EQ is spot on and easy to dial in. I always found the two pickup Bongos had me fiddling around with the tone controls constantly. The H is very much plug in and play which is why I now covet them above the two pickup variants. 

• Like 1

I think that's why the 4H is so revered now (and becausse it's been discontinued).  No mucking about!

Shame you weren't able to make the pair (but at least I'll know where to come if I'm looking for another 4H in the future!).

Happy ice blue gigging!

Pete