Why become a member? ×

*** SOLD*** Ernie Ball Music Man Bongo 4H with OHSC
£800
Nottingham

petecarlton

2009 - Sterling Silver (see registration database details in the pix).

These are as rare now as hen’s teeth – none on Reverb and the latest version is nearly £2000 and has horrible little black tuners – probably lighter, but nowhere near as cool as the original clover keys.  Although the current Bongos tend to be HH or HS, there’s a lot of love out there for the 4H as deservedly the most “authentic”-sounding (by which I mean Stingray-sounding) variant.

I bought this from @Sparky Mark here on Basschat 18 months ago for £750 and it’s been my go-to bass ever since.  Since then it’s been expertly set up by Dan Orellana at the Music Inn in Nottingham and fitted with the drop-D Hipshot tuner, which cost me £70 from Bass Direct and works like a dream.

This lovely bass is in near-mint condition.  I can find only one tiny nick in the body, which I’ve shown in the pictures as best I can; and the “pointy” part of the headstock and the jack socket are pristine (they’re often not, for obvious reasons).  The case itself is incredibly protective, and has some (but not very much) case candy, if that's the sort of thing you like, and… I have the key!!!

The ONLY reason I’m parting with this awesome bass is because I’ve had back problems for years, long before I started playing bass, and – although this is not heavy at 8.6lb – I’ve been finding it a bit of a strain, so I tend to turn to my short-scale Gretsch for preference.  Of course, the Gretsch – great-sounding as it is – cannot match the classic Music Man growl and punch of this Bongo, which boasts a lightweight basswood (linden/lime tree) body, a beautiful rosewood fretboard, meaty 18v on-board pre-amp and massively-flexible three-band EQ, and will happily cut through any mix.  As you’ll see from the registration database, this originally had a black pickguard, which was changed to the current one before I bought it, so I don’t have the original and – frankly – wouldn’t want it.

I am putting this up for sale elsewhere, but not at this price, which is exclusive to Basschat.  So, if you’re looking for a premium bass at a bargain price, look no further!

I’m in Nottingham and happy to let Basschatters with serious interest come and try it out before buying; or I can post/courier at whatever the going rate is, depending on your requirements; or you can arrange your own courier.  I’m not sure of costs at the moment – I’ll get quotes when I know I’ve got to pack it up and have an accurate weight for bass + case + packaging.  Payment by cash on collection/bank transfer or PayPal Goods and Services (as long as you pay the fees).

I’m afraid I’m not up for trades – I need the dosh to eat and (almost more importantly) to feed my GAS! 

2021-03-19.png

20210319_144230.jpg

20210319_144204.jpg

20210319_143325.jpg

20210319_143104.jpg

20210319_143344 rotated.jpg

Edited by petecarlton
This was marked as sold in March. It is now appearing as available, for some reason.
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...