Why become a member? ×

Headphones capable of handling low octave frequencies

cLepto-bass

So I have decided to go for a silent home playing option. I recently picked up a rather excellent EBS Microbass II and the plan is to run that direct to some headphones.

Now the question is - which headphones. I have earmarked the Audio Technica ath-m50x as a likely option but since I often play with lower octave pedals engaged I just want to be sure that the headphones will be suitable. I am not expecting the full sub/low frequency effect but I want to make sure I get a pair that will capture most of it whilst being hard wearing.

Does anyone have any experience in this area? 

Would anyone recommend these particular headphones or others for this application?

Any other advice?

I wanted cans that give me the sound of my bass 'on record' rather than some that would let me hear things that I wouldn't be able to hear when my bass is recorded. As such I don't want headphones that produce an extended low end or top end either.

I have been using Bose AE2w for years now (obviously with a cable not bluetooth). I know with confidence that what I hear when I'm playing at home is exactly what my bass sounds like when it's recorded. The design of the headphones means they can cope with full range bass without rattling or distortion, they're easy to drive and are capable of going way too loud. Being closed back means I am isolated from the acoustic noise of my bass (previously I had tried some open back but found I could hear the flaking of my bass over the pure signal)

They're probably quote old now and I'm sure there are newer versions which are easier to get hold of, but if I lost mine I would certainly find another pair. in fact I may pick some up as a spare just In case!

• Like 1

years back when Microbass II was my way to play along to tracks without audio interface and DAW I used to plug in beyerdynamic 990 pro into the headphone out on the EBS unit - all the bass you can wish for, all day long, just beautiful, ten years later I still regard these headphones as one of the best out there, hard to beat for comfort, sound and durability (and price). 

PS. still have the microbass II, still love it, it might outlive me it's so well-built; headphones are on I think fourth pair of replaceable cushions, as good as new

Edited by Romeo2

Another +1 (is that +3 now?) for the ATH-m50x. I never had fun tracking bass on headphones until I borrowed a friend's pair, it was a complete gamechanger - even compared to the m20x I had before! I now have my own pair and wasn't disappointed, they sound great for jamming through an interface or monitoring while recording etc.

The only problem is that I paid around £120 used, only to see them being sold off by Amazon for something like £80 each a few months later :(

On 19/03/2021 at 15:32, ped said:

I wanted cans that give me the sound of my bass 'on record' rather than some that would let me hear things that I wouldn't be able to hear when my bass is recorded. As such I don't want headphones that produce an extended low end or top end either.

I have been using Bose AE2w for years now (obviously with a cable not bluetooth). I know with confidence that what I hear when I'm playing at home is exactly what my bass sounds like when it's recorded. The design of the headphones means they can cope with full range bass without rattling or distortion, they're easy to drive and are capable of going way too loud. Being closed back means I am isolated from the acoustic noise of my bass (previously I had tried some open back but found I could hear the flaking of my bass over the pure signal)

They're probably quote old now and I'm sure there are newer versions which are easier to get hold of, but if I lost mine I would certainly find another pair. in fact I may pick some up as a spare just In case!

I tend to stay away from  Bose as teheir products are designed to "sound good" rather than accurate. A;os avoid Baets like the plague.

2 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

I tend to stay away from  Bose as teheir products are designed to "sound good" rather than accurate. A;os avoid Baets like the plague.

That was my impression too - however I find these superb for bass, and know that what I hear through my headphone rig at home sounds as near as exactly like what I sound like when recorded and played back through various systems. Musically I find these pretty neutral; they replaced a set of Grado SR80s that I gave up on because my wife could hear them when I was using them in the lounge and I found hairs getting into the diaphragm made a rattling noise and they needed constant plucking!

35 minutes ago, ped said:

avoid Baets like the plague

I’m guessing you meant Beats, out of interest what makes you say that, I’ve used them since they came out and I have the newest ones, they were designed mainly for bass, I know they are expensive and get no love on here but just curious why you say avoid them 🙂

The ba

3 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I’m guessing you meant Beats, out of interest what makes you say that, I’ve used them since they came out and I have the newest ones, they were designed mainly for bass, I know they are expensive and get no love on here but just curious why you say avoid them 🙂

Just because the bass is boosted on the beats headphones and I like my 'phones to be flat.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

I can’t argue with that 👍

My wife had some (probably still in the wardrobe) I must dig them out ad have a listen. You never know it could be me that is wrong. As I always say, there is no point in having a mind if you are not prepared to change it.

• Like 2