Why become a member? ×

EBS Microbass 3: who’s using it, and what’s it like?

Aliwobble

Hi all,

I’ve recently had som gas for the ebs microbass 3, so I’m consulting the hive mind here at BC so see what people’s experiences are.  There is one positive review here, but would like to know more.

I’m wondering if will sound as good as my current pork loin dirt and TLC compressor setup, but in a tidier package.

Cheers.

I like mine a lot.  It's sturdy and easy to use.  I've not used a Pork Loin or TLC compressor, so can't compare.  Here is what I previously wrote, to save retyping it out:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/336308-ebs-micro-bass-3/?do=findComment&comment=3796889

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/419763-ebs-microbass-3/?do=findComment&comment=4083961

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pros:

• A really good, authoritative sound on the Clean channel, with controls and switches which all do something useful.
  • The fx loop (haven't figured out how to use the stereo option), but I've seen it described as an effects "hub", which pretty much sums it up.
  • Multiple outputs.
  • Tuner & Compressor remove the need for separate pedals.
  • The wall-wart power supply with straight plug which sticks out of the back.
  • Compact - how do they fit all of that in the space (especially considering all of the connection sockets)?

Cons:

• The distortion channel seems a bit weak - level has to be on full or there's a drop in volume when you switch it in.
  • Would've liked the Mute switch to cut Fx out as well.
  • Thanks 1

Hi,

I have one and it's a great, versatile little unit and indeed does away with the need for a compressor and tuner on your pedalboard. I agree with the above apart from the drive, and this may because I use it differently.... I tend to use it for a gritty amp sound more than a dedicated overdrive. I also find the pedal sounds better to my ears in series mode rather than parallel. 

The thing which I find a bind is that I need a new power supply to now power all the pedals I have as it takes a fair amount of power..

I've yet to use it in the real world as I got it a week before lockdown and it's in competition with my Broughton SV-Pre... But that is in part down to me tracking a punk rock record at the moment and I'm going to assume that the EBS will shine for the more funk/jazz and pop stuff I do so I can see both sitting on my board. 

Also... I love the compressor, so simple and feels and sounds fat playing into it.

• Thanks 1

I had another play with mine yesterday and got a bit more of a feel for the nuances of the distortion channel, also experimented with the series/parallel option.

I may try wiring my Rickenbacker stereo to it and see if the distortion channel works for that on its cleanest setting.

• 2 months later...