Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Dingwall Dbird - Blue/Purple Colourflip! - Discontinued & Rare
£1200
Guildford/Woking

cetera

SOLD!!

I custom ordered this beauty approx 18 months ago from Bass Direct and I love it..... but, honestly, I'm more of a Spector-man (No way!! Whodathunkit??! lol!) so, regrettably, I've decided to move this on to raise funds for another Spector purchase. ;)

This is the much better looking production model DBird that was sadly discontinued, due to legal issues with you know who over the TBird shape.... and bound to become a collectable as a result!

Overall condition is 9/10 with just a tiny chip on the body edge (see pics below). I have NO idea how this got there! I've literally played it live ONCE and just used it at home for the rest of the time.... oh well. It's minor and not particularly noticeable.
The colourflip finish on this is amazing though! It looks more blue in the pictures below.... but as soon as you move it around it quickly flips to a stunning purple colour.... and looks amazing under stage lights!

Here's the official spec. However, I'd add that it is MORE THAN capable of more traditional tones.....despite the spiel selling it on its aggressive, mid range, modern bite/tone ;)

Body & Neck
The body is Khaya, a Mahogany variety with accentuated mid range and a brighter attack. 
A 5-piece Maple neck coupled with a heavy-duty truss rod further complements the treble response while ensuring maximum hardiness. Dingwall manufacture has long-been exposed to extreme climate conditions, so they know a thing or two about reinforcing necks! A Pau Ferro fingerboard adds a little extra warmth and a smooth feel to boot.

Multi-Scale Design
A noteworthy feature of the D-Bird Custom is its multi-scale design. With a 36.25" scale on the low E string and a 34" scale on the G, the higher string tension on the lower strings gives the bass more punch and clarity where it matters most.
Fanned frets allow for super-accurate intonation across the entire fingerboard, with their slanted placement suiting the natural resting position of your hand. It may look odd at first, but you'd be surprised at how easy it is to adapt to this type of neck!

Hardware & Electronics
The D-Bird Standard is triple-loaded with FD-3N passive pickups. The key to their punchy tone is the use of Neodymium magnets; higher output means a more aggressive sound. This lines up nicely with the tonewood combination, with plenty of midrange bite that produces a distinctly modern tone.

Controls are volume, a 4-way rotary switch offers a surprisingly broad tonal palette and master tone
Dingwall also opted for a traditional jack plate with Switchcraft jack connection to ensure maximum reliability.
Slick smoky black hardware is used throughout, with Dingwall Combustion tuners and a specially designed bridge with a custom riser system - increased adjustability and sturdiness all in one. 

Specifications
Body Material: Khaya Mahogany
Finish: Polyurethane
Neck Material: Maple, 5-Piece
Fingerboard: Pau Ferro
Fingerboard Radius: 7.5”
Scale Length: 36.25" (E) - 34" (G)
Carve: Medium Thin C-Shape
Reinforcement: Heavy Duty Truss-Rod
Nut Width: 45.5mm (1.8")
Frets: 20
Fret Size: 'Banjo'
Fret Material: 18% Hard Nickel Silver

Electronics & Hardware:
Pickups: 3 x FD-3N passive pickups w/ Neodymium magnets
Controls: Master Volume, 4-Way Rotary Pickup Selector, Passive tone
Hardware Colour: Smoky Black
Tuners: Dingwall Combustion
Bridge: Hipshot Dingwall Solo
Input Jack: Switchcraft

Other:
Custom heavy-duty padded gigbag and toolkit containing allen keys & Dunlop straplocks included.

SOLD!! Payment by socially-distanced cash on collection, Paypal (you pay all fees) or Bank Transfer please. NO trades thank you. Courier at buyers choice/cost but I would recommend UPS via Interparcel.
Happy to ship in the UK. Any overseas postage will obviously be much more expensive and there will be additional import/VAT etc costs.
Please search out my extensive positive feedback thread (link in sig doesn't work) for assurance of a clean, honest transaction. Thanks!

shapeimage_1.png

20210319_092640.jpg

20210318_135802.jpg

20210318_135807.jpg

20210318_135816.jpg

20210318_135832.jpg

20210319_092617.jpg

20210319_092552.jpg

20210319_092521.jpg

20210319_092310.jpg

20210319_092326.jpg

Edited by cetera
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, Daz39 said:

Niiice. Love the shape, bet all 3 pickups at once sounds amazeballs

colourflip? *cough* @Dood *cough*

You know me SO well!! Good lord it would look great set next to all my other colour flip basses! I've some new paints lined up for any instrument that arrives at Door Towers that doesn't have a flip finish ha ha!

Sadly, right now I'd be lucky to afford the case let alone the beautiful bass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Damon said:

What do these go for new? Do the fanned frets take a lot of getting used to? I do love the look. Cheers 

Fanned fret is so easy to play I have found.................  here is a similar D Roc............https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/200416358790025--dingwall-d-roc-4-string-matte-blue-to-purple-pau-ferro-fingerbo?gclid=Cj0KCQjwo-aCBhC-ARIsAAkNQitPzKIHvqTCkS3VBLQ7ta8DmrVqltPIZ6eJJotob2yuQU8SN7q1q8QaAg_lEALw_wcB

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Damon said:

Do the fanned frets take a lot of getting used to? I do love the look. Cheers 

Not at all..... I found my fingers fell into place naturally and it wasn't a struggle in the slightest!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • MB1 locked this topic