Why become a member? ×

Machine Head orientation

MoonBassAlpha

Just got some Gotoh 707s for my fsr Mustang,  and as they need different screw holes it gives me the opportunity to change the angle they sit on the head. But which looks best? 

Perpendicular to the headstock edge as is traditional, slightly angled so perpendicular to the neck edge or more angled like some Warwick basses? 

20210319_103259.jpg

20210319_103419.jpg

20210319_103506.jpg

First - Standard... Straight up at a playing angle.. fishtails look a nice modern change over clover, specially in black on a matching painted headstock... (enough of a change)

Second would be OK if not a std Fender headstock shape... (Headache)

Third - Just looks Broken! (Migraine)

I'm a plain n simple guy, i like a form follows function approach but dont like things that go out their way to up set the eye

But... it's yours...

Edited by PaulThePlug

Thanks for the opinions folks,  keep them coming . I'll show you what I went with this evening. 

Regarding balance,  these are about the equivalent of having one fewer standard Fender machine. The difference is subtle but just about noticeable and subsequently balance is a little nicer. 

If you have the heads angled backwards to any degree (i.e. second or third pictures), the angle is emphasised when you stand to play it. The "Warwick slant" might look okay in that scenario as it is pointing the heads at you more and thus making it (a bit) easier to adjust the tuning. The "perpendicular to the nut/frets" angle looks (IMHO) odd when you're stood up with the bass at an angle.

So I'd go trad or Warwick from the choices there - and probably trad if I had to pick one.

If you feel rebellious, you could angle them the other way so that they're vertical when you're standing up.

I can see that being quite disquieting....

1 minute ago, Skinnyman said:

If you feel rebellious, you could angle them the other way so that they're vertical when you're standing up.

I can see that being quite disquieting....

I can see that. I  think it would be more difficult to adjust, with my short arms. 

1 minute ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

I can see that. I  think it would be more difficult to adjust, with my short arms. 

I have a man from the village comes in twice a week to do mine....

Edited by Skinnyman
  • Haha 1

It has gratified me that as in many things, I  have not gone with the consensus which seemed mainly too be keep it "normal ", or not too different. In fact, even  living with it for half a day it now looks normal to me. In a way, the swept back looks mirrors the lower edge of the head and the shafts are actually perpendicular to that edge.