Why become a member? ×

Pickup Wiring Issue

Please forgive me, but my issue is with a guitar rather than a bass - I promise I'll say a hundred hail Jacos. 

I've had a cheap £100 ebay Squire Telecaster knocking about the house for the last 10 years. It'd been messed about with before I got it, and I've had several goes over the last decade to get it going, but to no avail. 

It's not standard Tele wiring. Originally when it was built it would've had two humbuckers, a 3 way selector switch and two tone pots and two volumes. (Like a Les Paul). When I got it someone had replaced the bridge pickup with a Strat single coil mounted on a scratch plate.

The issue that I've got is driving me nuts. Whenever I replace a faulty pickup, the other pickup that was working fine, and that I haven't touched stops working!

When I got the guitar, the neck humbucker wasn't working, so I replaced it with an Entwistle HV 58. This sounded great, but the bridge pickup stopped working. I've just replaced the bridge pickup with an Iron Gear Jailhouse Rail 2, which works fine, but now the neck pickup has stopped working. I haven't touched the wiring for the neck pickup as each pickup has its own volume pot. 

Before I rip out all of the electrics and start again from scratch, does anybody have any ideas of what's going on please?

Many thanks, Dave 

All sorted! It turns out that the switch was wired oddly. Rather than just 3 wires connected to the switch (one from the bridge pickup, one from the neck pickup, and the third going to the +ve jack socket),  there was an extra one coming from the middle terminal. Removed all wiring and resoldered, this time both pickups work fine. The Iron Gear Jailhouse Rail in the bridge is an absolute monster!

• Like 1