Why become a member? ×

Pair of Semi Hollow 4 strings - Fretted and Fretless

Jabba_the_gut

Other than the genius of the aluminium insert, the use of your drill jig and, of course, the perfect final sizes and finish you manage to get, I make mine in a similar way xD

One question, though.  Do you ever suffer the bottom cylinder sections splitting when you insert the inserts?  I lose around 20% of my bottom sections where they just burst open along the grain...

Hi Andy. Didn’t have any issues with the bottom sections splitting in these. I drilled the hole with a 10mm Forstner bit - the inserts pushed nicely into this with out much force. I then secured them with CA glue. I think if I had drilled at 9.5mm (which is what I was initially thinking) they might have split. 

I was looking back for the thread where you made some previously but couldn’t find it so this is what I came up with. I did try some experiments at first trying to cut out the knobs with a hole saw but that was, er, less than successful shall we say!!

Cheers

Edited by Jabba_the_gut

1 hour ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Hi Andy. Didn’t have any issues with the bottom sections splitting in these. I drilled the hole with a 10mm Forstner bit - the inserts pushed nicely into this with out much force. I then secured them with CA glue. I think if I had drilled at 9.5mm (which is what I was initially thinking) they might have split. 

I was looking back for the thread where you made some previously but couldn’t find it so this is what I came up with. I did try some experiments at first trying to cut out the knobs with a hole saw but that was, er, less than successful shall we say!!

Cheers

Hmmm...that maybe my issue.  I probably am using 9.5 hoping that the inserts will cut their grooves cleanly...but I think there's probably a bit more brute force involved xD  I'll try 10 next time.  Also, I use a plug cutter - but they are not great.  I like your home-made lathe idea.  Consider it stolen  :D 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

Page 5 of this thread was like the knob Forsyte Saga wasn't it? Or The Knobsyte Saga even.

7346148C-79E5-45A8-A556-09C4F68F19CD.jpeg.4d48b5bdc1f245de0ca0096620bbdc9a.jpeg

More like Knobinson Crusoe, the serial on every summer holiday where you never got to see the end because it was a week longer than the summer holidays.

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

A little detail finished - an aluminium thumb nail cover opener thing.

Rhsa1iv.jpg

iQxL2y3.jpg

This is what will be the back of the second bass.

gZQB1NP.jpg

It needs to be flattened before I do anything with it as it has cupped slightly since I bought it a year or two back. Should look alright though!!

In the meantime, other bits of wood have been turning up so they can stand for a good while before I work on them. Nice slab of ash which will become a Telecaster shape (might be a bass, might be a guitar - no, no, no you say...)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

It needs to be flattened before I do anything with it as it has cupped slightly since I bought it a year or two back. Should look alright though!!

Might be as well to leave it cupped or even cup it more, my beer belly is in reluctant agreement.

On 07/06/2022 at 10:17, Stub Mandrel said:

More like Knobinson Crusoe, the serial on every summer holiday where you never got to see the end because it was a week longer than the summer holidays.

I missed Knobinson Crusoe because I was too engrossed in Mary, Mungo and Knob and Captain Knobwash, obviously.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I've had a lot going on recently outside of the bass world but finally got a few hours on this today. This was divided into two hours assembling this for the first time and an hour playing it!! Got a little bit of fettling (the bridge needs raising slightly on the treble side) but apart from that it sounded rather pleasing!!

De55v5I.jpgaoEo57f.jpg?1

b2TvJQy.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, ezbass said:

Sooo jealous of Frank. Fantastic build skills on display from Jabba again.

The fretted spalted Jabba bass I bought (to tide me over until I have these two beauts) has fully converted me. As I've said before countless times I was (or so I thought) perfectly happy with the Rob Allen until I played @wrinkleygit's Jabba Fretless, I couldn't believe anything could top it but the Jabba bass was better and clearly so. The fingerboard and necks are divine, as is the rest of the bass. Despite having asked specifically for thumb rests, I've found the design kind of makes you play over the bottom of the fingerboard which sounds lush.

• Like 1