Why become a member? ×

Pair of Semi Hollow 4 strings - Fretted and Fretless

Jabba_the_gut

Finished cutting the side slots so time to cut the pieces of aluminium for the fretlines. I have to cut each piece to suit the slot to wrap around the spine of the fretboard (if that makes sense!!)

QpLUclM.jpg

It is going to be a slow process to get this done ..

jm2HPSC.jpg

I only managed to get 5 line installed this evening - but they do look nice!!

XeCREsd.jpg

VmFzkxv.jpg

• Like 4

As aluminium expands with heat more readily than steel do you think it will cause the fretlines to be felt more in hotter weather? 

Or is it probably not enough to be worried about? 

Just thinking out loud really. 

They do look lovely though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maude said:

As aluminium expands with heat more readily than steel do you think it will cause the fretlines to be felt more in hotter weather? 

Or is it probably not enough to be worried about? 

Just thinking out loud really. 

They do look lovely though. 

I have been thinking about that and before I fit the board to the neck, I'm going to flatten the lines when it is cooler then put the board out in the sun and see what happens! I'm hoping that as the lines aren't that big that any expansion will be minimal. I will post how it goes!

• Like 3

And the last few of the aluminium marks to be glued in place - I started getting into the swing of cutting and fitting them by this point!! It has taken a reasonable time but I'm hoping the effect will be worth it in the end. They do look a little messy at this stage but a bit of sanding and trimming and they'll look fine.

SwJfDli.jpg

A rough sanding of the board prior to final trimming of the neck and it's starting to look quite nice.

2gf805I.jpg

After a quick bit of tidying of the edges with a router the board is ready for gluing to the neck. 

rEkQKBG.jpg

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/04/2022 at 23:34, Jabba_the_gut said:

It won’t be a problem, I’m making the bass for Prince Andrew.

I’ll give you a week to withdraw that statement and formally apologise.

If this is not forthcoming you will be hearing from my lawyers, Wankel, Clitheroe & Gash, who will be seeking reparations in the form of a non-sweaty pizza with toppings of my choice to be decided on the day.

Yours sincerely

Sarah Ferguson (Mrs)

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It would be cool to anodises the fret lines in groovy colours... however in situ anodising could be difficult, requiring the neck to be in a bath co sulphuric acid.

Is it possible they could be safely removed and re-inserted?

Not on this one - the fret lines are firmly secured. There are a few holes in each to ensure the adhesive really locks them in place. 

22 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

It would be cool to anodises the fret lines in groovy colours... however in situ anodising could be difficult, requiring the neck to be in a bath co sulphuric acid.

Is it possible they could be safely removed and re-inserted?

Or make them transparent polycarbonate and light them from below. 

Just now, Richard R said:

Or make them transparent polycarbonate and light them from below. 

That is an idea that I have been toying with but not on this build. I have tried a couple of samples of lighting both clear and frosted type plastics. 

Luminlay do sheets of luminous plastic sheet so I was thinking at one point of using this for fretlines....

Luminous sheet

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

That is an idea that I have been toying with but not on this build. I have tried a couple of samples of lighting both clear and frosted type plastics. 

Luminlay do sheets of luminous plastic sheet so I was thinking at one point of using this for fretlines....

Luminous sheet

If I ever play fretless and need a custom build, I'll be right over 👍

• Like 1

On 11/04/2022 at 20:02, Jabba_the_gut said:

Luminous sheet

Looking on their website,  they have ready made fretless line markers too. Pretty dear,  as they say the manufacturing yield is low.