Why become a member? ×

NBD - Sterling Ray4 Stingray (and pickguard poll?)

Stingray5

Mint Green Sterling Ray4 Stingray pickguard option?  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Sterling Ray4 in Mint Green. Of the three choices shown, which pickguard do you prefer?

• Original white pickguard
    • White pearl pickguard
    • No pickguard

15 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

Without the pickguard, I would think it's only half a ray. I assume that's why people buy them - for their iconic nature.

Fair point, although I guess you could say the same about a Jazz bass. (e.g., Jaco style ;) )

41 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

White Pearl obv. (My ratty black jazz was much improved with a white Pearl scratch plate)

That looks surprisingly yuk without a scratch plate. Must be something to do with the colour and body shape.

I have a Jazz bass (Aquamarine colour) that originally had a white plate but I swapped it out for a white pearl. That said, I also have a black Tokai Jazz which had a white plate that I removed but left the bass 'naked'. (see my signature pic below, both on the far right).

On 16/03/2021 at 17:56, Stingray5 said:

I just recently bought this Sterling Ray4 as a backup which, I have to say, are not at all bad for the money. I like the mint green but I knew I just had to change the plain white pickguard for a white pearl guard. (It's my thing!). That said, I also didn't mind the look of the bass without any guard (guess I could go for a clear see-through job at some point). But, for me, the white pearl just sets it off nicely.

So I thought, let's see what the BC collective think. The original white? The white pearl? Or no guard? (Pics below and poll attached).

Ray4-pickguard-pano1.thumb.jpg.4bb99453be4415c322589dc493c566da.jpg

Ray4-pickguard-pano2.thumb.jpg.eea503ccf008bd1f812aad4310e6e514.jpg

Just not pearl, ugh... white is good, black better, no pickguard is nice too, but pearl? pass me the bucket please, I need to vomit. Almost as bad as gold hardware.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, ezbass said:

Without wanting to make @mcnach hurl even more 🤮, what about cream/aged pearloid, that’d go nicely with the maple.

Definitely another option. 👍

Hmmm, I think I may be in danger of ending up with a selection of alternate scratchplates for the Ray4. Still, it might feel like I have a new bass every so often and could help to alleviate any further GAS (...or not! :D )

Edited by Stingray5
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stingray5 said:

Definitely another option. 👍

Hmmm, I think I may be in danger of ending up with a selection of alternate scratchplates for the Ray4. Still, it might feel like I have a new bass every so often and could help to alleviate any further GAS (...or not! :D )

well, if you MUST go pearloid 😛

How about black pearloid? 

(obviously it's your bass, so whatever you like... hey, I had a pink guitar once :D )

JPdkqTBtW-potVYafIXWepwZASyfWL20CGx8PuUG

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, mcnach said:

well, if you MUST go pearloid 😛

How about black pearloid? 

(obviously it's your bass, so whatever you like... hey, I had a pink guitar once :D )

Yes... I must, I must...! ;) 

Seriously, though, yes black pearl would be a definite alternative. Mind you, I also spotted a mint green pearl on ebay; now that's tempting, too. :) 

More confusion for you - white ice, abalone or even tiramisu (on my Bongo) - all used to be options on a Stingray and can still be had (I think) from Chandler. Mind you they're a slightly different size on the SBMMs. No pickguard was touted by none other than Tim Commerford with RATM at one time.  

Id stick with white pearl as per your SR5 👍

image.thumb.jpeg.7fca4a7014fb7ebd87531ae21252948c.jpegimage.jpeg.13bffd9777c926c0e3dcaf5c071fd3f4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, drTStingray said:

More confusion for you - white ice, abalone or even tiramisu (on my Bongo) - all used to be options on a Stingray and can still be had (I think) from Chandler. Mind you they're a slightly different size on the SBMMs. No pickguard was touted by none other than Tim Commerford with RATM at one time.  

Id stick with white pearl as per your SR5 👍

Haha, spoilt for choice! :D 

Yep, I'll stick with the white pearl (...at least for the time being). :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pea Turgh said:

Ooh!  That middle one!!  Winner!!!

I bought it for a blingy blue dawn Stingray but after about 12 months I put the original black one back on and it's been in the box it came in ever since - it is nice though - would look great on a black or white bass - neither of which I have in 4HH form 😩

Edited by drTStingray

On 18/03/2021 at 01:02, Stingray5 said:

Hmmm, that said, I could fancy a mirror guard. :) 

You have now hit on the correct answer. I have a mirrored one on my mint green Longhorn and really like it. 

If you really must go with one of your three original choices then the plain white works best, but it would look better as an off white cream/parchment one. 😉

• Like 1

@TheGreek Funny, throughout this thread, I've been trying to think who it was I saw many years ago (1980's?) who had what looked like a leather-type pickguard but I'm blowed if I can remember...? I'm not even certain what bass it was. Any thoughts on that one? 🤔:) 

Edited by Stingray5
Forgot to hit "Quote"!

5 minutes ago, Stingray5 said:

Funny, throughout this thread, I've been trying to think who it was I saw many years ago (1980's?) who had what looked like a leather-type pickguard but I'm blowed if I can remember...? I'm not even certain what bass it was. Any thoughts on that one? 🤔:) 

Possibly one of the original Wal JG series basses - Alan Spenner (Roxymusic and Kokomo)? 

@TrevorR has a copy/photo of a list with names against serial numbers for the early Wal JG  basses

25 minutes ago, drTStingray said:

Possibly one of the original Wal JG series basses - Alan Spenner (Roxymusic and Kokomo)? 

@TrevorR has a copy/photo of a list with names against serial numbers for the early Wal JG  basses

Ah, I saw Kokomo many times around the London area (great band!) though can't remember him with a leather pg on a bass. I was also thinking if it might've been Andy Pask from Landscape...?