Why become a member? ×

Rustling noise out of A string

wazdabaz

I am having a weird noise coming out of my A string. Sounds like a spring playing along my string. In the link (or file) you can hear me repeating the open E, G, A . I believe you can hear that noise when the A comes in.
My bass is a G&L L2500 tribute (indonesian). I 've come across the same issue for some years and I believe once it was my E string that had the noise. Any ideas on how to fix it?
I've tried to lower/raise the bridge action of this string but the noise stayed. And I rule out a fret issue since i hear it even on open string and my action is prety high.

string.mp3

Possibly the angle on the A string to the tuning peg from the nut isn’t great enough. Try pressing down on the string between the nut and the tuning peg and plucking the open string. If it rattles, fret at the first fret and pluck it again, if it doesn’t rattle that suggests either loose in the nut or the angle. I always have 3 windings on the tuning peg to safeguard against the angle/rattle thing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

It the string loose in the nut slot?

Could also be a loose screw at the bridge end - intonation screw or saddle height adjustment.

Checked those screws. They are firm right now, work fine and have no effect when adjusting them. I really can't tell what this sound could be

23 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Possibly the angle on the A string to the tuning peg from the nut isn’t great enough. Try pressing down on the string between the nut and the tuning peg and plucking the open string. If it rattles, fret at the first fret and pluck it again, if it doesn’t rattle that suggests either loose in the nut or the angle. I always have 3 windings on the tuning peg to safeguard against the angle/rattle thing.

I think that this could be the suspect but G&Ls got that pressing peg (string tree) for E and A strings. Shouldn't this be enough? (Tried and did what you suggested. The noise stays there whatever I do)

Bass String.jpg

Edited by wazdabaz

2 minutes ago, M@23 said:

Have you always used those tapered strings? It could be because that skinny bit of string isn’t allowing the retainer to put enough pressure on the A string. 

So maybe I am cutting the strings too short? I'll try to test this. Thank u

2 minutes ago, wazdabaz said:

So maybe I am cutting the strings too short? I'll try to test this. Thank u

I don’t think that’s the issue. It’s more where the string is one gauge over the nut, then tapers off. The string underneath the retainer may be too thin to properly ‘wedge’ itself under the retainer. 
the issue could be that the string retainer needs a thicker bit of string to properly apply that downforce.

Or, it could be that the thinner bit of string isn’t making 100% contact with the underside of the retainer. If it’s not in there properly it could rattle and vibrate against the retainer a bit when you play the open A. If you’ve got a ‘normal’ string without that taper, I’d try that. Even an old string would do to test it.  

3 minutes ago, M@23 said:

I don’t think that’s the issue. It’s more where the string is one gauge over the nut, then tapers off. The string underneath the retainer may be too thin to properly ‘wedge’ itself under the retainer. 
the issue could be that the string retainer needs a thicker bit of string to properly apply that downforce.

Or, it could be that the thinner bit of string isn’t making 100% contact with the underside of the retainer. If it’s not in there properly it could rattle and vibrate against the retainer a bit when you play the open A. If you’ve got a ‘normal’ string without that taper, I’d try that. Even an old string would do to test it.  

I just tried an older A (85) string. It's tappered the same way (I use this style, DRs or Dunlop for a long time). But the rattling is gone. The end of the taper is almost identical, only a bit longer (Check the red mark on the old photo). Could this "a bit longer" made the difference? I can't believe it's a bad string since I've met this issues several times even with new strings. Weird

Bass String_LI.jpg

10 minutes ago, jezzaboy said:

Check the clover leaf on the machine heads. I have had it twice on different basses and if there is any movement where the leaf meets the stalk part, it can cause a weird vibration.

Just another option.

I think everything is firm in that section! thanks for info !

Out of interest, when you cut your strings, do you bend the end of the string first and cut after the bend, or just cut it straight?  If the latter, could well be you're damaging the string when cutting it and the core and winding has come a bit loose, which would create a rattle/vibration.

Didn't see anyone suggest this,  but they may have;

Have you checked the string itself? Is it worn or damaged?

Has this issue just started? Does it disappear if you replace that particular A string?

Just eliminating variables...

Edit- I see you have,  and it's gone.

Maybe it's indicative of a certain level of wear on the A string?

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Out of interest, when you cut your strings, do you bend the end of the string first and cut after the bend, or just cut it straight?  If the latter, could well be you're damaging the string when cutting it and the core and winding has come a bit loose, which would create a rattle/vibration.

I bend the string a bit before the cut so as to prevent a damage on the string!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Didn't see anyone suggest this,  but they may have;

Have you checked the string itself? Is it worn or damaged?

Has this issue just started? Does it disappear if you replace that particular A string?

Just eliminating variables...

Edit- I see you have,  and it's gone.

Maybe it's indicative of a certain level of wear on the A string?

Could be the answer, but I've had the exact same issue with a new set of strings. So I always think of it of a bass issue. Maybe I am wrong and I just happened to get a bad string some times. Which would be unfortunate

1 minute ago, Beedster said:

I used to have this problem on an old Precision and it was the saddle tension spring that was at fault, no idea why a spring should buzz but I changed it for a newer shiner one and the buzz went

I checked that spring and it was firm. I played while touching it to see if there'd be any effect but it seemed to be irrelevant. The weird rattling kept going. I did change the string for an older one and the rattling is gone. So either some strings cause this bad effect, or I do something weird when winding those strings. But, why just the A string? 

Just by way of eliminating things, try putting a piece of thin card around the string where it goes under the retainer and tune up. If it still rattles it’s not to do with that end. Also just make sure there isn’t a loose screw on the machine head, although not rattling when when you used the old string probably eliminates that. May be just a duff string?

7 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

Just by way of eliminating things, try putting a piece of thin card around the string where it goes under the retainer and tune up. If it still rattles it’s not to do with that end. Also just make sure there isn’t a loose screw on the machine head, although not rattling when when you used the old string probably eliminates that. May be just a duff string?

Probably a worn string, or maybe some little detail noone will ever find out. I am worried mostly because I've come across the same issue several times in the past. So, could it be that its so easy to find bad strings? I mainly use DR and Dunlop both of which I consider to be quality products

Edited by wazdabaz

3 minutes ago, Lfalex v1.1 said:

Do you play really hard?

Try upping the gain/master and playing more gently and see if the issue persists.

I do play hard ALL the strings. Only the A string sounds weird. I replaced it with an old A string (same gauge) to check and the rattling is gone. But I do know that I will come across the same issue again.

It could be fret buzz on the next fret up. If you raise the saddle slightly then the buzz will 'travel' up the fretboard until saddles are high enough. May indicate frets that aren't as level as they could be but I'm not entirely sure.

Edited by TheLowDown

6 minutes ago, TheLowDown said:

It could be fret buzz on the next fret up. If you raise the saddle slightly then the buzz will 'travel' up the fretboard until saddles are high enough. May indicate frets that aren't as level as they could be but I'm not entirely sure.

Nope. The noise is everywhere i fret and on open string. And the action is big. First thing I check. Thank u

3 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

It could be dodgy strings, I had exactly the same happen with two sets of Warwicks, one after the other. Luckily the third set was ok.

Through all the great suggestions of all the kind members of this forum, I think that its probable that I deal with bad strings. Which is sad to hear. I hardly expect to get replacement strings from DR or Dunlop here in my country. 

Edited by wazdabaz