Why become a member? ×

NBD: Sandberg Forty-Eight

adamg67

I've been gassing for a 4 string Forty Eight for a while now, for me they are a total modern classic and the black with creme stripes and the matching headstock is just what I wanted to fill the "rock bass" slot. It's not just down to the looks, I was after some good playability and quality and I liked the sound of the sound of these. I saw a couple on here but without the matching headstock, then this one came up at Classic and Cool Guitars and as a bonus it has an ebony board and block inlays. I had to trade my Stingray 5HH (stealth black, also a looker) for it, but somehow I never gelled with the 'ray so that wasn't too tough a decision.

The only thing I wasn't 100% sure abour was the white pickguard, so I've ordered a black one with creme stripe.

First impressions are good. Very very good. Looks amazing to me, I wouldn't have had one of the "hard core aged" ones but this is just right. It plays really nicely too, lovely neck, sits nicely on the strap and it's nice and light. I like the pickup covers as well, I play floating thumb when I do fingerstyle so they are good for something to rest on when I'm on the E string. After a brief blast through a few different amp models the tone is just spot on, it sounds great on everything I try it on. I always seemed to be struggling to get the 'ray to sound how I wanted, and this just does straight out of the box. It's not over bright either, even with new strings on, I won't get into trying to describe it but it's right where I wanted it anyway.

Mark at Classic and Cool was super easy to deal with, and I'm a very happy customer.

forty-eight.thumb.jpeg.226c03d4fe1580eeb2476bf2612ef56e.jpeg

Edited by adamg67
speling
  • Like 15

1 hour ago, Dov65 said:

Another owner here, passive with 2 big Nordy singles

I like Nordstrand pickups too, I'm just fitting an NP5 and a Bigman to another bass with flats. That and the Forty-Eight should cover a lot of ground between them. 

• Like 1