Why become a member? ×

-

Jus Lukin

Hey Andy, how ya doin?

Here's another idea 💡 how about a pick up that slides smoothly from 'almost' bridge to neck, controlled by a rotary like a volume, that you can move while playing!

A step up from a Westone rail 😎

• Like 1

@Jus Lukin

Enfield Cannon? https://www.sims.guitars/enfield-guitars/cannon

cannon%252Bbutton%252Balt.jpg?format=150

@KiOgon Warwick did something along those lines with Guy Pratt 

image.thumb.jpeg.44bde2df594a9a1fc452dba7f896128e.jpeg

In action here 

Wood & Tronics do something similar with a single Jazz pickup under a wooden cover that slides to 4 preset positions. 

Edited by Dazed
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I couldn't find anything about them in a quick search, but if I remember rightly these are kind of like a pair of super-quads in a single casing, so although very versatile, essentially still like two pickups in sound.

They cover a lot of string! I'd definitely like to hear them, but again it's a combination of lots of little coils and 'views' of the string, all probably interacting electronically. I'm sure there's a good reaon there is no such thing as one giant coil, but I can't help but wonder! Perhaps one day I need to pick up a cheap bass and speak to a custom pickup builder- or maybe speak to the builder first! 😄

I know what you mean. Haven’t found or ever come across such a pickup, that senses across a large area.
Maybe because you’d end up with an approximation of the sound, or the magnet would be so long it could cause string pull etc. There’s probably a very good reason for it? 

3 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Well... I will be collecting this from Andyjr1515 as soon as I'm allowed! 😄

imageproxy.jpeg-3.jpg.37010d76712d1603205d0b4876a0d6e7.jpg

If standard humbuckers are soap-bars, I'm picturing a 200-Marlboro-carton!

With all three switched on, I reckon you will pretty much answer your original question with this ;)

• Like 1

If a mini humbucker gives a more focused sound due to 'seeing' a shorter length of string compared to a standard humbucker, then a pickup which could 'see' 100% of the speaking length of string should just be a sludgey, booming mush shouldn't it? But who knows? 

As Andy says, with all three of the Simms pickups on in MM mode you'll have a lot of the normal pickup area covered all a the same time. 

Edited by Maude
Missing words, missing words.

I'm curious as to how it would sound. Just to cover from the bridge to where the 24th fret would be on a long scale (34") bass would mean having a really wide pickup - 8" or 20⅓ cm.

I think the SIMS design, especially if it's a pair (or triplets! 😎 ) or has been mounted on a sliding arrangement, grabber style or rail style, covers more options than most of us could shake a great variety of sticks and stick like objects at.

I see the unusual and neat Atlansia Pegasus design, but on closer inspection it appears to just be a triple P, with a single string on each split instead of the usual pair ("just" I know lol).

I think you'd need tiny mini pickups in an array like an LED array:th?id=OIP.6v7u8umHfiKdEnGtKGHhRAAAAA%26p

Maybe internally constructed like a Wal pickup?

82c4086aa26c1e55fb95d603cef1de18.jpg&f=1

To allow you to only use some of the coils. 

On 16/03/2021 at 15:32, LeftyJ said:

Italia tried this once, with a singlecoil lipstick pickup per string, mounted parallel:

F1.jpg

If it was like the above you'd have to just use the whole coil or nothing lol.

I vote for a sliding pickup instead, save the wire and use smaller magnets or fewer magnets. It might be a neat experiment but it sounds like a massive waste of materials to me!