Why become a member? ×

Markbass Mini CMD121P or Fender Rumble 500 - help!

Duroc17

Markbass CMD 121 or Fender Rumble 500  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Markbass CMD 121 or Fender Rumble 500 - best for country rock vintage feel but power and portability? Both 350w and same price

• Markbass Mini CMD 121
    • Fender Rumble 500

I just bought a Markbass CMD 121P.

I've got a gig this weekend and I'll be taking it with me.

I've got an amp stand which will tip the speaker up towards my ears to help clarity.

I've used one before, that was supplied at a gig, and really liked the sound. 

We'll see how the gig goes and then I'll report back.

• Thanks 1

At low volume it is superb - what I’ve settled on is low gain more volume, bass on 11pm lo mid 10pm, hi mid 12pm, high 1pm - vpf off and vle 9pm which sits good in the mix but don’t like it in its own - without vle it’s clanky and with it adds mud but rounds out the mids. With the fender I just set it flat and more gain that volume and was great - but not tried BT Pbass loud through Fender 

31 minutes ago, gjones said:

I just bought a Markbass CMD 121P.

I've got a gig this weekend and I'll be taking it with me.

I've got an amp stand which will tip the speaker up towards my ears to help clarity.

I've used one before, that was supplied at a gig, and really liked the sound. 

We'll see how the gig goes and then I'll report back.

I got a great little stand from my sister as a present - good luck with gig 👍

Agree with lownote. MBs can take a bit of tweaking, but when you get it right, they sound great. The other thing I like about them is that they project and sound very good in the room. I don't know why, but they do. I found this out when I went to see a friend's band play. The bass sounded excellent, with a real punch in the chest quality. I spoke with the bass player and he was using a 2x10 MB combo. Standing next to the amp, it didn't sound anything special, but at distance, it just worked.

Edited by Dan Dare
  • Thanks 1

My drummer always liked the sound of  'the one with the yellow speakers' the best.  I owned both and eventually decided the Rumble 210 was the best for me, but I always miss that little CMD121.  When paired with the matching NY121 it shifts some serious air though, and remains ultra portable. 

• Thanks 1

On 16/03/2021 at 10:57, Duroc17 said:

Please help me decide

Well I gigged with the Markbass today, at a filming session in a theatre in Edinburgh, for the Jazz & Blues Festival.

It was certainly powerful enough to compete with a loudish drummer.

The sound tech actually used a mic on it and didn't bother with a DI. 

I had it at about 11 O'clock on the master and I played my P bass.

The bass and low mid were at about 1 O'clock.

So a pretty successful first outing.

8 hours ago, gjones said:

Well I gigged with the Markbass today, at a filming session in a theatre in Edinburgh, for the Jazz & Blues Festival.

It was certainly powerful enough to compete with a loudish drummer.

The sound tech actually used a mic on it and didn't bother with a DI. 

I had it at about 11 O'clock on the master and I played my P bass.

The bass and low mid were at about 1 O'clock.

So a pretty successful first outing.

Great stuff - good that it was 🎤 up too

I use an LM3 or LM Little Markus 500 with a pair of NY121s.  To be honest I've always found the sound with a single cab to be a bit boxed in when using my JMJ or Mikey Way Mustangs but the sound really opens up and has more authority when using 2 cabs.  I only go single cab for rehearsals in small rooms for this reason and even at a small gig where the single 12" would have enough volume I still use 2 (both with the tweeters down to zero).

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, martthebass said:

I use an LM3 or LM Little Markus 500 with a pair of NY121s.  To be honest I've always found the sound with a single cab to be a bit boxed in when using my JMJ or Mikey Way Mustangs but the sound really opens up and has more authority when using 2 cabs.  I only go single cab for rehearsals in small rooms for this reason and even at a small gig where the single 12" would have enough volume I still use 2 (both with the tweeters down to zero).

i might get the NY121 extension but went MB for potability or the Fender 500 but to be honest - we only tend to play 300 capacity places - GASing on a MIJ P bass which may be the answer haha

• Like 1