Why become a member? ×

Markbass Mini CMD121P or Fender Rumble 500 - help!

Duroc17

Markbass CMD 121 or Fender Rumble 500  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Markbass CMD 121 or Fender Rumble 500 - best for country rock vintage feel but power and portability? Both 350w and same price

• Markbass Mini CMD 121
    • Fender Rumble 500

Hi All

Had a search through old threads but cant see this comparison - i play country rock, so not too loud or too quiet - i'm really struggling to decide between these 2 lightweight portable cabs - which are same price and same 350w

I'm really attracted to the compact size and reputation of the Markbass but I've used a Rumble 200 Head (for sale in market place) and cab before which was great but just want more power. I've heard the MB is too clean and some say the Rumble is too dirty - i do prefer a 12" speaker, but not sure about having a really clean sound - though the VLE button might sort that

I mainly play a Bass Centre Bruce Thomas P Bass and I love it - i want a portable rig sub £600 that will fit easily in my car's boot and wont break my back or the bank.

Please help me decide

Funnily enough... I’ve had both. I used to gig a lot with the MB but sold it when I thought my gigging days were over. I got an unsolicited new band offer... so bought the Rumble 500. We play classic rock, some slow blues and some rocky pop (or poppy rock)

Purely a personal opinion, but I feel the Rumble suits me better... I just love the tone and never have to turn the volume up much. If I still had the MB I would still use it... but I was never that fond of it’s sound... I also thought it was too clean... I kept everything flat and played through my EBS Microbass II. I also use the EBS with the Rumble, but I hardly touch the tone on the pedal or the amp, it just has that “taking a blanket off the sound” sort of effect, as well as a handy DI and mute function. But... significantly... I’d play the Rumble without the pedal and not sweat it.

If you really can’t choose... then toss a coin... but I suspect you may have a secret preference that needs validating by BCers.

I can fit The Rumble in the boot of a Fiat 500... but I’ve also bought a Rumble 100 for home use and rehearsals. I play a MIM PJ Mustang fitted with Nordstrands... mostly on P pickup only at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Markbass sound imo works really well with Precision type basses, and although it’s a clean sound it is a warm clean, not hi-fi at all, just a really nice warm presence in the mix. 

That said the Rumble imo is able to do more, due to having the drive facility. Additionally being a 2x10 I’d expect it to have a larger presence in the mix, though the CMD isn’t a slouch in that area.

I think in the same position I’d go Rumble for the greater versatility.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

IME you get out of the MB what you put in - so it's a 'cleaner' amp. If you're happy using drive/preamp pedals for  your sound if you want grit, then it'll be fine. 

The VLE is great - turn it full up for a motown style sound, and wind it back for a cleaner sound.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I bought, an almost brand new MB CMD 121, a few months ago but (of course) still haven't been able to play it with a band to check what it sounds like and if it can compete with a drummer.

The good thing about the MB, is that it can take another cab.

I also have a Fender Rumble 100 v3, which is a great little amp but can't hack it with LOUD drummers and can't take another cab.

The Fender Rumble 500 is much louder, the drummer who overwhelmed my Rumble 100,  also plays with a bassist who owns a Rumble 500 and that is more than loud enough to compete.

• Thanks 1

I've got both for different reasons.

In the case of the Markbass, it was the most capable small combo I could find for playing metal, and the basic sound of a Markbass Little Mark with the EQ all set to 12 noon and both filters off fits very well with my main band. I used to have a Line 6 Studio 110 for acoustic gigs, so the CMD121p wasn't a lot bigger and covered that duty perfectly as well.

In the case of the Fender, a lot of people on here were getting very excited about them and I wanted to know what all the fuss was about, and a cheap*, non-carpeted, loud combo that I didn't care too much about sounded like a useful thing for playing naff venues and gigs where you're expected to share backline.

*it was cheap when I got mine - they seem to have gone up!

My verdict...

Markbass
+ it's very small and light
+ it sounds great at moderate volumes (like, loud.. but not LOUD)
+ if you like the Markbass sound, it's got that alright
+ if the amp section dies you can just screw another one in!
- it can get a bit 'shouty' at higher volumes and the tweeter is hissy
- the handles on the older ones are a bit naff (the new leather handles are nice)
- it's covered in carpet and doesn't have feet so it's going to end up looking a state if you're not careful
- messing around in the space under the back of the amp to plug things in is just infuriating

Fender
+ it's light for its size
+ it's capable of going very loud
+ it sounds generally really good (the overdrive isn't for me personally...)
+ it has normal tolex and feet so it clears puddles of beer and wipes clean!
- the cloth front isn't as sturdy as a metal one
- the matching cab has side handles - why not the combo?!
- the knobs and switches feel a bit cheap
- at a venue with known poor electrics where the Markbass is always fine, the Fender hummed and buzzed all night

So on balance if you're not going to get stunningly loud, you aren't going to be rushed to set up, you aren't playing in venues where you wipe your feet on the way out but you are pushed for space and you want the more refined option then I'd say get the Markbass. Otherwise, the Fender ticks a lot of boxes!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Ed_S said:
14 hours ago, Ed_S said:

So on balance if you're not going to get stunningly loud, you aren't going to be rushed to set up, you aren't playing in venues where you wipe your feet on the way out but you are pushed for space and you want the more refined option then I'd say get the Markbass. Otherwise, the Fender ticks a lot of boxes!

Hi ED_S this is very helpful - I dont need very loud and hate hums as i'll probably use it to record - we record live (overdub vocals only) so Markbass it is and going to buy a little amp stand to till it back - having no feet is a bit of an oversight - i'll buy some and put them on

18 hours ago, Ed_S said:

Just to say, I've never felt overfaced with the single CMD121P,  but I've used it with the extension cab for louder gigs and its easily held its own against overdrive valve amps etc. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jakester said:

Just to say, I've never felt overfaced with the single CMD121P,  but I've used it with the extension cab for louder gigs and its easily held its own against overdrive valve amps etc. 

That makes a lot of sense. You're going from 300W with just 1x12" speaker pushing out air to the full 500W with 2x12"s, so you should be getting a decent volume step up.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Duroc17 said:

Hi ED_S this is very helpful - I dont need very loud and hate hums as i'll probably use it to record - we record live (overdub vocals only) so Markbass it is and going to buy a little amp stand to till it back - having no feet is a bit of an oversight - i'll buy some and put them on

That’s exactly what I did with regards the feet - works well to keep things looking tidier for longer.

25 minutes ago, Jakester said:

16 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That makes a lot of sense. You're going from 300W with just 1x12" speaker pushing out air to the full 500W with 2x12"s, so you should be getting a decent volume step up.

Yup, agreed - I had the NY121 for a while and it really did make a solid rig, but for me personally the benefit of the extra cab wasn’t enough compared to the utility of the single small combo. I’ve never felt that I lacked volume on stage and always have PA support out front.

Of course, if you’re going to get the NY121 maybe consider whether to put feet on the cab instead of the combo since the corners lock together to keep things stable.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ed_S said:

Yup, agreed - I had the NY121 for a while and it really did make a solid rig, but for me personally the benefit of the extra cab wasn’t enough compared to the utility of the single small combo. I’ve never felt that I lacked volume on stage and always have PA support out front.

Of course, if you’re going to get the NY121 maybe consider whether to put feet on the cab instead of the combo since the corners lock together to keep things stable.

Tbf - the same point is true for the Fender Rumble i.e. it, and indeed most other combos, only deliver their full payload when paired with an extension cab.

The notable exception is the Markbass AC121 Lite which was designed to put out its full 500W payload through its single 1x12" cab and had greater speaker excursion to accommodate. And mine had no trouble whatsoever in matching up to a full 5 piece rock band!

Edited by Al Krow

5 hours ago, Duroc17 said:

buy a little amp stand to till it back

I bought the Mark Stand but it hasn't been out of its bag - instead I picked one of these up:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/braeda-laptop-support-black-60150176/

Fits perfectly, and tilts it at just the right angle. You lose any floor coupling, but works well if you're on top of your amp. I've even used it on top of the extension cab. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Jakester said:

I bought the Mark Stand but it hasn't been out of its bag - instead I picked one of these up:

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/braeda-laptop-support-black-60150176/

Fits perfectly, and tilts it at just the right angle. You lose any floor coupling, but works well if you're on top of your amp. I've even used it on top of the extension cab. 

that's a good idea -i usually am on tight stages to right next to amp - much cheaper than this i was looking at

https://www.knightonmusiccentre.com/product/accessories/quik-lok/quik-lok-bs317-amp-stand/?gclid=CjwKCAjw9MuCBhBUEiwAbDZ-7vA5Ku5uA5owCkkaem_oMf5-8kL1l8hkhJGXQC02Z59Hnz1U8qqX6xoCcoIQAvD_BwE

• 3 weeks later...

Fan noise is a bit annoying but will be ok with a band. Great at low volume - good round bass - hoping at volume in the mix it’ll be similar - turned it up half way and it’s loud! It’s highlighted my bass has a bit of an earth issue 

2 hours ago, Duroc17 said:

Fan noise is a bit annoying but will be ok with a band. Great at low volume - good round bass - hoping at volume in the mix it’ll be similar - turned it up half way and it’s loud! It’s highlighted my bass has a bit of an earth issue 

Are you sure it's not the tweeter?

Edited by Supernaut

5 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Are you sure it's not the tweeter?

I think you’re right. The gain really increases the hiss but once you get the master volume past 75% it goes - I’ve read about the tweeter needing playing in - in live band situation it shouldn’t be a problem 

• 2 months later...

Rehearsed twice with it now and it’s bit muddy but also Bruce Thomas p bass with TI flats is new. At moment not overly impressed - sounds good in mix but on its own lacks clarity- will work on eqing- anyone else get this? My Fender Rumble 200 has more punch 

I adore the Markbass sound, can't speak for the Fender.  But what i would say is when discussing sound types and quality, a huge amount of change is possible if you really sit down with the EQ and play with it seriously, both inside and outside the box.  I couldn't get MB to work for me until by chance I brushed the EQ knobs with my hand, sending them all over the place - and quite accidentally achieved exactly the sound I wanted.  I don't think I'd ever had managed it without that accident, because they're not logical or conventional settings. So if you do experiment, try every combination to see what it does. And I found the MB filter knobs helped me get sounds I couldn't with the conventional EQ controls on their own.  YMMV and IMHO.  (FYI, my settings are (in o'clocks) Bass 12, Low mids 11, high mids 10, treble 9, then the filters on 8 and 10, or 10 and 8: can't remember which filter knob was which setting.  You may not like it, I find it works perfect for me with a P bass.)

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 2