Why become a member? ×

clarity drops after an hour of playing

taha_never

hi all

my bass' sound gets muddy after about an hour of playing. mexican P bass with standard pickups. i tested it with my pedals and amp out of the setup. latest test setup: bass > directly into audio interface > headphones (K44).
so the suspected components narrowed down to just the bass and/or headphone. can headphones do this? lose clarity after an hour of use?

or if it's the bass where should i look? bad cap? pot? pickup?
help appreciated

31 minutes ago, taha_never said:

can headphones do this? lose clarity after an hour of use?

My ones don’t , but an hour is quite a long time to have headphones on for without a break, especially if they are the over ear type 🙂

• Like 1

As above ^^. The test is easy : listen again the next day to what has been recorded. The 'freshness' will have returned. There's nothing in your signal chain that could cause such an effect; it's not faulty equipment. Give it a rest. B|

• Like 1

oh thanks everyone for shedding a light on this. never expected it to be a serious factor. sounds right as i just start playing when i get home after about 10-12 hrs of work outside and my ears are already tired and when the clarity goes away it never comes back no matter what.
thanks again

• Like 5

22 hours ago, taha_never said:

oh thanks everyone for shedding a light on this. never expected it to be a serious factor. sounds right as i just start playing when i get home after about 10-12 hrs of work outside and my ears are already tired and when the clarity goes away it never comes back no matter what.
thanks again

Please be careful Taha_Never!

What is the work you're doing outside?

I do a lot of work outside and just the increased high end content in the sound of london traffic on wet roads can irritate my hearing.

Sustained fatigue will eventually lead to permanent hearing loss.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodwind said:

Please be careful Taha_Never!

What is the work you're doing outside?

I do a lot of work outside and just the increased high end content in the sound of london traffic on wet roads can irritate my hearing.

Sustained fatigue will eventually lead to permanent hearing loss.

Thank you Woodwind.

3-4 hours use of public transport per day, in Tehran! loud and frightening traffic on the way to office. excessive use of horn and wild bikers everywhere. savage people who are unable to do a small task without making lots of unnecessary noise. I'm also HSP (highly sensitive) so you can imagine. time to get my ears checked i think 😣

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, taha_never said:

Thank you Woodwind.

3-4 hours use of public transport per day, in Tehran! loud and frightening traffic on the way to office. excessive use of horn and wild bikers everywhere. savage people who are unable to do a small task without making lots of unnecessary noise. I'm also HSP (highly sensitive) so you can imagine. time to get my ears checked i think 😣

Yup I can completely relate to this.

I've had to resort to wearing ear plugs when near traffic if I'll be near a main road for prolonged periods.

All the best :)

• Like 1