Why become a member? ×

GAS blow out?

lownote

For quite some time my GAS list has only had two items on it, both of which are totally unattainable for me at the moment anyway. I don’t see that changing unless I manage to find a ‘65 Jazz or Wal 5-string for £150. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Stofferson said:

My gas swayed full circle to a p bass, never had one, after all the funny shapes tbirds etc gone right back to the beginning, so to speak.

Well pj, but I've gone for the Lakland Skyline 44-64 GZ in blackest of black. 

I’ve been rather tempted by those too.

I sold what I wasn't gigging about 3 years ago. Since then I've bought 2 cabs and a battery.

I'd like a British made bass but none have come up that have caught my attention. Basically, there are no more upgrades required and I'm happy with what I've got.

I think its all relative. I am not playing at all just now due to my job, Covid and the fact that the music room is stacked full of new bathroom parts. Consequently my GAS has almost completely dried up. I no longer trawl through online shops and I actually sold a bass recently. Its quite sad but unless I have a change in circumstances very soon I think it may be terminal!

• Sad 2

There's still a few basses i'd like to have but its not the end of the world for me but more a "nice to have".

I do however have severe gas for Mesa TT800 + Subway 210 & 115 bass rig and that's my main Gas at moment. Plan is underway to fund it.

Dave

Yep, my GAS has receded to the realms of daft fantasy stuff, especially on the amp front - I have all I'll ever need (and for me, the very very best) for gigging with the Stomp/Walkabout/Barefaced kit, the only things on the amp front I'd change for would be a pair of Walkabout Scout and extension cab, but only in a nice colour. And that's only because I'd put them in the corner of the room like furniture... 😐

Bass-wise, I'm pretty much good, too, gigs depending. There's three bands starting up again after lockdown, two of which are reboots of previous ones, so we'll see which way they progress...again, any new basses would be for the looks, not the sound - after yonks of experimenting and learning, I know how to make most basses sound like me...

I'm very shallow these days... 🙁😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

I do however have severe gas for Mesa TT800 + Subway 210 & 115 bass rig and that's my main Gas at moment. 

I'd love a TT-800 and perhaps a Barefaced 210S to go with both my One10s, that would sound amazing I'm sure.  Not necessary though and she would kill me, so its not going to happen.  The fact that there don't seem to be any TT-800s in the country and probably won't be for several months does make it a bit easier.

• Like 1

I was thinking along similar lines today, in that - "Why would I want another bass?"  I have two bass guitars; an Italia and a Tanglewood violin bass.  Both have been featured in various posts on this forum.  The Tanglewood was bought about 15 years ago and was cheap (less than £200 including case), the Italia was bought nearly 3 years ago and cost £670 or there about.

Today I went down to our church to help sort out the sound system and set up a small bass combo/amp.  I grabbed my Tanglewood in its case as it was easier to throw in the back of the car.  When I opened the case at church it was like one of those spoof films where someone opens a chest and a glow radiates from it.  I just love the look of the violin bass.  Let's face it, when you've seen one Fender precision/jazz you've seen them all and most other brands just provide variations on the same theme.  The violin shape is different.

I played a few notes to try out the system and it sounded fine.  The bass is hollow and very light and just so easy to handle.  I began to wonder why I'd bought the Italia (which is a very nice bass).  Through our church sound system I doubt there would be any discernible difference  between my cheap violin bass and a custom Fodera.  There is nothing wrong with wanting a well crafted instrument but sometimes just making the most of what you have can give better results.  I have looked at genuine, German made, Hofner violin basses - costing about ten times what my humble Tanglewood did - but would they be ten times better and make me a ten times better player?  I play in our church band about once every month and we generally sing four songs during the service.  If I was a gigging musician playing several nights a week for two hours at a time then I think my Tanglewood would probably shake itself to bits.  I am not a gigging musician playing two hours a night so it fills the bill well. 

Of course I still look at other bass guitars and am in the fortunate position to be able to spend quite a bit of money on one, but the more time I spend with my current duo the more I realise I don't really want another.

20210324_224635 (2).jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That looks handsome. I've only had my Tanglewood for a few months but it has become my favourite noodling bass since I found it on Reverb for £200. Yes, build quality is very good. It appears to be ply with a nice veneer back & top. 

I didn't need it as I already have a Hofner HCT. With the toaster pickups on mine it's voice is quite different to the Hofner, more mids I think. The neck is a slimmer C profile rather than the Hofner D, and the waist is a softer shape. 

I hadn't bought anything new for some time and was convinced that my gassing days were over and that I was so happy with my 2 favourites, my Squire Mustang & HCT, that I was gas free. 

Anyway, pleased as punch with the Tanglewood I now claim to be gas free once again. 

Edited by grandad