Why become a member? ×

GAS blow out?

lownote

After 10 years of playing bass (a little) and buying and selling (a lot, 40+) I think I may have actually run out of gas, or me little pilot light's gone out, or whatever. I can honestly say I now visit the Basses for Sale pages as an occasional thought rather than hourly. I've had my Revelation unlined since July 19 and the Ibanez Portamento since last summer.  Even Sire posts no longer stimulate me to further serial buys.  I still hold a feeble flame for the Cabs n Heads section but unless someone throws up a Phil Jones D400 in orange for silly money  that lust too may be just a dull glowing ember.

Edited by lownote12
  • Like 7

@lownote12 Same for me, for now. GAS indicator is very very low. That said, I have owned so many basses and amps that I almost can say that I have tried everything and the ones I didn't try have absolutely no bass appeal. My last GAS was 2 Trace Elliot combos (BLX 130 SM and 1210 fridge) bought for very silly money and sold back immediately because there's nothing decent (to me as a fretless player) coming out of these really way too heavy boxes.

That said, I keep watching the ads, but there's nothing I fancy.

I have SES (Selling Everything Syndrome) now, just keeping what I like and use, but certainly not wanting to start another collection.

And I'm really HAPPY !

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Hellzero said:

@lownote12 Same for me, for now. GAS indicator is very very low. That said, I have owned so many basses and amps that I almost can say that I have tried everything and the ones I didn't try have absolutely no bass appeal. My last GAS was 2 Trace Elliot combos (BLX 130 SM and 1210 fridge) bought for very silly money and sold back immediately because there's nothing decent (to me as a fretless player) coming out of these really way too heavy boxes.

That said, I keep watching the ads, but there's nothing I fancy.

I have SES (Selling Everything Syndrome) now, just keeping what I like and use, but certainly not wanting to start another collection.

And I'm really HAPPY !

Same here, my desires are gone, I keep looking but I am dead inside, I know I have all the basses and amps that I am ever going to need so looking seems futile now, send help!

• Like 1

I must admit I am feeling the same. I know what I like, own them all and have tried pretty much all the others. Im sorted for amps ( Valves ), cabs ( big stacks and powered ), pedals and have a Stomp and the amazing Noble pre, I mean what else do you need. I take a fleeting look at the sale pages but admittedly I am selling rather than buying at the minute and nothing screams out buy me.

Maybe Ive reached bass gear Utopia?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Me too. I've got too many basses. Bought a "year of birth" bass that needed a lot of work, and now that's done it's a very good bass, it's just not as good as others I have. I need to clear out two basses, finish the self assembly I started months back, then see where things are. I do want another bass but I've not made up my mind what and nothing is in stock right now anyway. I may even call a custom builder but my heart isn't in it right now. I am happy with my amp setup even though I keep looking up Trace Elliot and Marshalls, and I sold off all my effects and replaced with a Helix Stomp which is a great piece of kit. Really I need to practice more rather than agonize over stuff I don't fully want to buy! 

• Like 1

GAS is a funny thing.

I've been happy with my bass set up for a few years, it covers everything I'm ever likely to want to do.

But recently I've been thinking about getting a Mustang and putting flats on it.

I already have 3 basses I could put flats on, not including the fretless which already has flats and there's an unopened pack of Labella James Jamersons sitting in my spares box.

I also have no need for a shortscale bass, none of  my current  basses give me any reach or weight problems.

But part of my brain is still telling me to buy a Mustang and a £50 pack of special Labella Mustang flats.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

My GAS-o-Meter is running on fumes at the moment and as I have no real desire to return to a proper band/live work, I see no reason for that to change; studio/recording, yes, band, no.  I'm down to six really decent basses and backline/outboard that will see me prepared should I change my mind at any point, although the more I affirm this, the more my mind is set. 

Any purchases will just be for the sake of vanity/curiosity more than anything else.

I was quite obsessive about basses and gear until my fairly recent purchase of another US jazz and a RM500 , it seems to have eased things off as it’s pretty good sounding,  it doesn’t stop me looking , but I’m a bit more selective now , a 60/70s  jazz is still on the list though 🙂

• Like 1

On 16/03/2021 at 19:23, walshy said:

I must admit I am feeling the same. I know what I like, own them all and have tried pretty much all the others. Im sorted for amps ( Valves ), cabs ( big stacks and powered ), pedals and have a Stomp and the amazing Noble pre, I mean what else do you need. I take a fleeting look at the sale pages but admittedly I am selling rather than buying at the minute and nothing screams out buy me.

Maybe Ive reached bass gear Utopia?

I give it a week :D 

12 hours ago, owen said:

I have GAS for a really good setup with some fret levelling and a new nut. I live in a really good setup free zone. My GAS is and shall be unrequited. 

It could be required, it would just require a lot of postage 

11 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I’ve over-bought something rotten in the last year, so have a ton of stuff to move on. It’s been fun though, so at present for me it’s Anti-GAS (aside from I still want an electro-acoustic guitar).

Is this the end of the “Lozz jazz bass era”?

Well it’s not the end of my Jazz Bass era, but I will be offloading one as I’ve pretty much determined which basses I’m keeping/moving on. Sadly my US Professional Jazz in black/rosewood (with Custom Shop 62 pickups) I think is going to be one of the casualties (along with its almost twin Precision).

Edited by Lozz196

I’ve got to the stage where I’m really happy with my main gear, and unless I sell any of it (which I won’t) I can’t afford anything more of the same quality. So I’m stumped really.

Lockdown has made me realise I’ve got all the gear I’ll ever realistically need, as a semi-pro player with a day job and family and with my fifties lurking on the not too distant horizon.

On a positive note it’s taken the anxiety out of the whole process now I appreciate what I’ve got, rather than worrying about what I haven’t. 

• Like 1