Why become a member? ×

Debut stinker followed by a stonker

• Barking Spiders changed the title to Debut stinker followed by a stonker

not realy a Stinker... but Motorheads first album (although didnt get released till later on... or the On Parole versions of the tracks) with them finding their feet.. Then followed up by the Stonker that is Over Kill... 'prolly my fav Motorhead album. Such a change in pace and dynamic.

Edited by PaulThePlug
  • Like 1

Ministry started as a pretty underwhelming synthpop outfit in the early eighties. With their second album 'twitch' they leaned far darker and more 'wave', introducing Paul Barker who would take them in a far more industrial direction.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Faith No More’s debut ‘Introduce yourself’ is dog stinky poo, their next effort ‘The Real Thing’ is amazing!

1. You are bat guano crazy

2. You missed a record.

The real thing is a great record but Patton shouldn't have sung it so nasal. Chuck was amazing on Introduce yourself and We care a Lot, like a different band as it were. 

Edited by Bolo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky Rioli said:

No one seems to have much to say about the debuts from PJ Harvey, Amy Winehouse and Nirvana. Have to admit I've never listened to any of them! But very very happy with the three follow ups.

Hmm, Dont know about the first two but Bleach was a classic, eclipsing Nirvanas later work IMO. i guess this is another one f them subjective threads

• Like 2

I really don’t like the first Red Hot Chili Peppers album but I really like the George Clinton produced Freaky Styley.

Bleach by Nirvana is probably my favourite Nirvana album. It is also widely critically acclaimed so not one I would think is easily dismissed as a stinker. 

Also, I dislike all four of the first Pantera albums pre Cowboys from Hell!

3 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

No one seems to have much to say about the debuts from PJ Harvey, Amy Winehouse and Nirvana. Have to admit I've never listened to any of them! But very very happy with the three follow ups.

No real knowledge of the other two, but Amy’s ‘Frank’ is IMHO a great debut album. I bought it shortly after it’s release after hearing one track. Very different to the follow up ‘Back to Black’ and more rooted in her jazz background, but don’t let that put you off. 😉

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

A vote here for Harvey's Dry. I liked it when it came out -- it was quite well-received, as I remember, so I wasn't exactly swimming against the tide -- but I think it is terrific when I listen to it now.

Outside of personal antipathy and taste, I doubt there would be much of a consensus that Harvey or Nirvana started weak and became strong. The follow-ups, as you rightly indicate, are magnificent, so it says a lot that they do not really eclipse their precursors.

12 hours ago, Roger2611 said:

I was never a big fan of the Clash's White Riot but loved everything (up to the final album) they did from there

You heathen!

Their first album was a classic, the second was quite good but it all went downhill from there. 

Personal taste and all that; I was a punk.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Ricky Rioli said:

Not trying to be the cool hipster here, but I genuinely loved Frank when it came out. Must dig it back out to see how it has aged.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bolo said:

1. You are bat guano crazy

2. You missed a record.

The real thing is a great record but Patton shouldn't have sung it so nasal. Chuck was amazing on Introduce yourself and We care a Lot, like a different band as it were. 

I don't like the Real Thing much but FNM hit the target every time with the rest. Just don't like Patton's nasal vocals on it but what a turnaround on thereafter.

Underworld Mk1's stuff was pretty uninspiring but then came Mk2 with Dubnoheadwithmybassman which is a bona fide techno, whatever classic.

IME if subsequent albums are better than the debut, it is because there has been a major change in the line-up of the band accompanied by new song writers, or a general change in musical direction, and even then it is highly subjective.

For instance is synth-pop of Depeche Mode's "Speak & Spell" a lesser album than the much darker "Construction Time Again"?

Similarly the Cure's "Three Imaginary Boys" and "17 Seconds"? Apart from Robert Smith's singing you wouldn't know that they were from the same band.

Someone once said something along the lines of: bands spend 10 years making their debut album and 10 months for the follow up. 

So it's not surprising that there's the "difficult second album" syndrome.

For me a lot of the time if I prefer a later album to a band's debut, it's usually because that's the point at which I discovered them and I'm more familiar with it, rather than it really being better.

• Like 2