Why become a member? ×

MonoNeon guesting in with Scary Pockets

EBS_freak

1 hour ago, acidbass said:

Scary Pockets are just an average cover band really, some good musicians but are they doing anything original?

Average. Lol.

Why do they have to do anything original? Millionaire founder of Patreon Jack Conte does this for sh1ts and giggles to amuse himself and play with great musicians. If you have the likes of Robben Ford guesting, you ain't average.

Just now, EBS_freak said:

Average. Lol.

Why do they have to do anything original? Millionaire founder of Patreon Jack Conte does this for sh1ts and giggles to amuse himself and play with great musicians. If you have the likes of Robben Ford guesting, you ain't average.

Do you think this is better than the Jackson version?

6 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Hahaha!  That's probably an insult but I don't care.

Nah, she can identify as anything she wants.

To be fair, identifying as a man probably fits better than identifying as a carrot.

Or perhaps it's more deep than that. Perhaps she has a lot of stereotypical male traits - aggression, foul mouthed... and she is looking at somebody that she thinks has unwanted male traits and she doesn't like that.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Or perhaps it's more deep than that. Perhaps she has a lot of stereotypical male traits - aggression, foul mouthed... and she is looking at somebody that she thinks has more male traits and she doesn't like that.

I merely thought it would be appropriate to make the lyric fit the singer.  That's all.

You needn't pull my statue in East Street down because of it.

image.png.16c887cfffc23b5cb1afc520ce83a7b0.png

1 minute ago, SpondonBassed said:

I merely thought it would be appropriate to make the lyric fit the singer.  That's all.

You needn't pull my statue in East Street down because of it.

image.png.16c887cfffc23b5cb1afc520ce83a7b0.png

WHAT??? ARE YOU SUGGESTING THAT THE LYRIC IS NOT FIT FOR THE SINGER??? HOW DARE YOU.

HOW VERY DARE YOU.

😜

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Average. Lol.

I dunno, you go to any jazz or funk gig at any city in the world and you'll see musicians of an equal standard to the Scary bunch, doing funk/soul covers of popular songs in exactly the same manner.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, acidbass said:

I dunno, you go to any jazz or funk gig at any city in the world and you'll see musicians of an equal standard to the Scary bunch, doing funk/soul covers of popular songs in exactly the same manner.

Yes - but are they sharing their music with studio quality produced audio and professional video with the rest of the world? They aren't - so immediately Scary Pockets aren't your average covers band - as they know how to market themselves.

2 hours ago, acidbass said:

Scary Pockets are just an average cover band really, some good musicians but are they doing anything original?

I was about to dispute the average cover band comment claiming at least they've never done Sex on Fire, then I discovered they have.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Yes - but are they sharing their music with studio quality produced audio and professional video with the rest of the world? They aren't - so immediately Scary Pockets aren't your average covers band - as they know how to market themselves.

Who's music?  Just not for me but I'm glad you enjoy them :)

11 minutes ago, acidbass said:

Who's music?  Just not for me but I'm glad you enjoy them :)

Their music. They perform it. Just because they didn't write the music doesn't mean that they can't say it's their music. Using that logic, the majority of pop stars are just about lose the right to call their music theirs. All those classical musicians that are performing the works of others are suddenly nullified and what they have brought to the performance is void?

If it's not for you, you could have just moved on.

Did you have some salt on your Frosties this morning?

I enjoy some of their takes on songs, not always. But I don't need to justify what I think to anybody. Just enjoy music for what it is. If it talks to you, enjoy it. If it doesn't, move onto something that does.

Edited by EBS_freak
  • Like 1

I really like the Scarey Pockets/ Pomplamousse ethos.

They had a video on YT a couple of weeks ago showing how they manage to arrange and record 4 or 5 songs a day as that's the only way they can do it commercially. They start with a basic chord chart, pull it to pieces, do a couple of takes and film the video. Obviously there is a lot of post production too.  The other lot doing a similar thing are the Hindley Street Country Band down in Australia, their Bassist is a badass! They are a lot less slick than the SP as the keyboard guy does all the setting up and post production but the performances look pretty good too.

Just a side note, as well as Jack Conte being a millionaire, his wife Nataly runs the Pomplamousse band and without touring they are making $ that established mainstream bands would envy.

RE them being essentially covers bands, they all seem to throw in a few jazz chords just to keep things interesting....

What is his, is hers and all that. Nataly is great too - and Pomplamoose as you say, are a great success story in their own right. The key thing is, unlike most other musicians - they try and try again and dont let failure get them down... AND work together. That reminds me... 

I have loads of admiration for Jack and Nataly as they have worked hard for their success. If you've got some spare time, I would urge you to watch this to understand what a great character Jack is and how he deserves every success -

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yorks5stringer said:

I really like the Scarey Pockets/ Pomplamousse ethos.

They had a video on YT a couple of weeks ago showing how they manage to arrange and record 4 or 5 songs a day as that's the only way they can do it commercially. They start with a basic chord chart, pull it to pieces, do a couple of takes and film the video. Obviously there is a lot of post production too.  The other lot doing a similar thing are the Hindley Street Country Band down in Australia, their Bassist is a badass! They are a lot less slick than the SP as the keyboard guy does all the setting up and post production but the performances look pretty good too.

Just a side note, as well as Jack Conte being a millionaire, his wife Nataly runs the Pomplamousse band and without touring they are making $ that established mainstream bands would envy.

RE them being essentially covers bands, they all seem to throw in a few jazz chords just to keep things interesting....

I think their arrangements are great.  I don't really like their mashup stuff as that's not my thing but I really like their takes on covers, the Pomplamoose Daft Punk covers are particularly good for the most part

3 minutes ago, Simon. said:

I do like a bit of Scary Pockets. 👍

I've heard the MonoNeon name but not heard a lot of his stuff. Any pointers, because as tight and nice as the bass playing was, it didn't jump out at me...

Pretty much YouTube anything and hold onto your hat. He was the bass player with Prince before Prince died... sad that MN never got to tour with Prince as that would have just been a crazy show.