Why become a member? ×

Sold items wasting time

Basilpea

Question

Hi,

I can't be the only Basschatter who begrudges wasting time ploughing through entries in the For Sale forums that are already sold.  Would it not be possible to put this in the Sort criteria so we could have all the items not containing the word "sold" at the beginning of the list?

5 minutes ago, Downunderwonder said:

And you have hit 'sort by latest update' too?

Yes have tried all of that - I opened a new thread on this same subject a few days ago. 

Have marked it all as read and tried changing to started by date then back to last updated and everything is still out of sequence.

Edited by Bassybert

If you're looking at the ordering with the 'most recently updated' filter then it might look out of order because it includes people who have used the 'bump' button, instead of commenting, so it might look like it was last updated (commented on) a while back when actually someone has just bumped using the button.

If you've selected 'by start date' instead and it's still out of order then I can only assume there's some bug but it's a new one on me. There's an update to the software pending which may well fix it but getting the time to sort the update is very tricky at the moment but I'm trying!

Cheers

6 minutes ago, ped said:

If you're looking at the ordering with the 'most recently updated' filter then it might look out of order because it includes people who have used the 'bump' button, instead of commenting, so it might look like it was last updated (commented on) a while back when actually someone has just bumped using the button.

I have no idea how bumping works so apologies if I've missed anything obvious, but a couple of the posts that are showing on the first page for me are back from 2020, one from May and one from October and neither of these seem have been edited recently so not sure why someone would be bumping a thread that's almost a year old.

Screenshot 2021-03-16 105138.png

Edited by Bassybert

1 minute ago, Bassybert said:

I have no idea how bumping works so apologies if I've missed anything obvious, but a couple of the posts that are showing on the first page for me are back from 2020, one from May and one from October and neither of these seem have been edited recently so not sure why someone would be bumping a thread that's almost a year old.

Screenshot 2021-03-16 105138.png

Is that with 'by start date' selected?

57 minutes ago, ped said:

That looks OK to me (looking at the dates posted on the left). The dates on the right aren't relevant

The dates on the right are what I've been using since I joined the forum - I'll be completely honest I've never looked at the dates on the post itself but can see why they would be relevant when ordering by start date.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

The dates on the right are what I've been using since I joined the forum - I'll be completely honest I've never looked at the dates on the post itself but can see why they would be relevant when ordering by start date.

I tend to sort things by date posted so I can keep tabs on new items being posted. Who commented last doesn't really matter

I have to admit, I now do see the problem. My default is recently updated and with that selected I still have really old items on the first page, one of which I contacted the seller of thinking he must have bumped it and I don’t actually think he did.

It seems to me that something has changed (for the worse for me), but I’m not sure what it is.

1 minute ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I have to admit, I now do see the problem. My default is recently updated and with that selected I still have really old items on the first page, one of which I contacted the seller of thinking he must have bumped it and I don’t actually think he did.

It seems to me that something has changed (for the worse for me), but I’m not sure what it is.

Nothing has changed  - just if someone uses the bump button it might confuse how the order looks. But yeah no changes to the system at all

7 minutes ago, Bassybert said:

Just a thought, but is the date/time of the recently updated view being populated by the last time someone looked at that post, rather than the last time someone actively updated the post by replying or adding an emoji?

I think it’s the last time a post was added. Using the bump button doesn’t change it - as far as I know

• Like 1

This thread has gone into a completely different orbit.  My original point was: we currently have 6 sort criteria on the forums (or is it Fora?), some of which are probably almost never used.  Would it not be possible to add one more criterion to enable users to separate the Sold items (or those that are marked sold) from the as yet Unsold items?  I was hoping for an answer from one of the Administrators of the database, and perhaps anyone else who thought it would be a good idea?

2 minutes ago, Basilpea said:

This thread has gone into a completely different orbit.  My original point was: we currently have 6 sort criteria on the forums (or is it Fora?), some of which are probably almost never used.  Would it not be possible to add one more criterion to enable users to separate the Sold items (or those that are marked sold) from the as yet Unsold items?  I was hoping for an answer from one of the Administrators of the database, and perhaps anyone else who thought it would be a good idea?

Hi there. Answered here

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/447337-sold-items-wasting-time/?do=findComment&comment=4410320

23 hours ago, ped said:

Currently the sold adverts are useful for our Google ranking. It’s difficult enough to get sellers to mark items as sold let alone grant them the permission to move the thread to sold, and it’s a big job to ask moderators to do. Even then, we’d end up with some incorrectly sorted. I’d suggest sorting your search results by date and working backwards. Cheers

Thanks for responding Ped.  I can understand why it's a good idea to retain the Sold items, and I do sort by date, but that still leaves items that haven't been sold or bumped sometimes several pages back in the search, which necessitates ploughing through the same sold items every time.  However from the response so far the answer to my question seems to be YES, I am the only one who finds it a problem.

55 minutes ago, Basilpea said:

In direct response to your question then, I think it’s a bad idea. If sellers did what they are supposed to do with their listings, there wouldn’t be an issue. To bounce that problem over to the Mods/Admins seems a little unfair. I mean, I’d happily police the marketplace as I spend several hours a day surfing it anyway, but it doesn’t really solve the issue.

I have an answer most of you won't like.

Here it is and it's a known fact : Homo sapiens seems unable to adapt to an environment and MUST adapt the environment to his liking.

For once try to use the 4% of your remaining homo neanderthalensis genes and adapt yourself to this (new) environment.

Told you...

3 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

In direct response to your question then, I think it’s a bad idea. If sellers did what they are supposed to do with their listings, there wouldn’t be an issue. To bounce that problem over to the Mods/Admins seems a little unfair. I mean, I’d happily police the marketplace as I spend several hours a day surfing it anyway, but it doesn’t really solve the issue.

I may have this wrong, but I thought all the sellers had to do was mark their goods as Sold.  If that's the case then even if they all did so we would still have exactly the same problem as old unsold items would still be way back in the listings - or is there more to it than that?  

1 minute ago, Basilpea said:

I may have this wrong, but I thought all the sellers had to do was mark their goods as Sold.  If that's the case then even if they all did so we would still have exactly the same problem as old unsold items would still be way back in the listings - or is there more to it than that?  

Marking them sold is manageable at the moment; most sellers do it and a mod can then just lock the thread. Moving the thread elsewhere creates an issue as only a mod could do that and it would get very complicated when someone withdraws something then wants it live again, it wouldn’t work with our payment recognition system for one thing. Thanks for the suggestion though, I see what you’re saying and think it would be nice to be able to do things like that but the software just doesn’t support it. 

6 minutes ago, ped said:

Marking them sold is manageable at the moment; most sellers do it and a mod can then just lock the thread. Moving the thread elsewhere creates an issue as only a mod could do that and it would get very complicated when someone withdraws something then wants it live again, it wouldn’t work with our payment recognition system for one thing. Thanks for the suggestion though, I see what you’re saying and think it would be nice to be able to do things like that but the software just doesn’t support it. 

Thanks Ped, I was thinking you could just get it to sort the items not marked as Sold to the top of the list, but I guess you would need some sort of additional status field for that, which may not be possible with this software.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Basilpea said:

Thanks Ped, I was thinking you could just get it to sort the items not marked as Sold to the top of the list, but I guess you would need some sort of additional status field for that, which may not be possible with this software.

Yeah it may be in a future release. Cheers 🥂 

5 hours ago, Basilpea said:

Thanks for responding Ped.  I can understand why it's a good idea to retain the Sold items, and I do sort by date, but that still leaves items that haven't been sold or bumped sometimes several pages back in the search, which necessitates ploughing through the same sold items every time.  However from the response so far the answer to my question seems to be YES, I am the only one who finds it a problem.

All the ancient stuff that appears on the first page when it hasn't been bumped or edited IS most definitely a problem.