Why become a member? ×

Which DAW?

PatrickJ

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Dammit, looks like a few of us are going to get swept up on Cubase wave.😁

Not you matey. You never got around to using cakewalk so getting another DAW is not happening  😀

But yes it does handle video. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Haha 1

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

Not you matey. You never got around to using cakewalk so getting another DAW is not happening  😀

Hah! Glad memory lapses are not just an Al Krow foible. I've never had Cakewalk...😁

3 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Aha, so I don't need a separate video editor. Ok that does make it very interesting.

Nope. Didn’t say that, I said it handles video. Doesn’t edit it. It’s used for a lot of scoring and soundtrack stuff, so video integrates well with it, but it’s not a video editor. 

6 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Nope. Didn’t say that, I said it handles video. Doesn’t edit it. It’s used for a lot of scoring and soundtrack stuff, so video integrates well with it, but it’s not a video editor. 

Ah ok, thanks, back to Mixcraft for me then...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Ah ok, thanks, back to Mixcraft for me then...

Probably better off sticking with a video editor for video, plus CB pro cost £499 if brought without an upgrade. 
Davicni Resolve is well with the cost though if you want a more pro editor 😀

31 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Probably better off sticking with a video editor for video, plus CB pro cost £499 if brought without an upgrade. 
Davicni Resolve is well with the cost though if you want a more pro editor 😀

The free version of DaVinci resolve is probably more than most of us would ever need, it's amazing but a pretty steep learning curve.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

The free version of DaVinci resolve is probably more than most of us would ever need, it's amazing but a pretty steep learning curve.

Yeah, thats the version i was talking about, and i agree, way above a lot of people’s needs. 

These days (not that i do a lot) I’m more likely to use Lumafusion on my ipad, as my ipad is  much more powerful than my PC. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PatrickJ said:

Sounds like we should set up a Cubase tips and tricks thread (since I'm now committed to staying with it) to share some of this wonderful knowledge you hold :).

Yes, a good idea.

Although I'm a long term Cubase user (well Nuendo these days), there are always new things that I have picked up from Youtube videos and other websites, only to never find them again.

:D

These days the first port of call for me is the regular Official 'Club Cubase Live Stream'. A wealth of info.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Yes, a good idea.

Although I'm a long term Cubase user (well Nuendo these days), there are always new things that I have picked up from Youtube videos and other websites, only to never find them again.

These days the first port of call for me is the regular Official 'Club Cubase Live Stream'. A wealth of info.

I love Gregs videos. I tend to watch the hang out videos the next day though. Once the index has been posted. Over 3 hours is a long time to sit watching anything. 

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

I love Gregs videos. I tend to watch the hang out videos the next day though. Once the index has been posted. Over 3 hours is a long time to sit watching anything. 

Yes, a bit long for one sitting, so I tend to watch the next day as well....Good stuff though.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

1 hour ago, lowdown said:

Yes, a good idea.

I'll have to give them a watch.  Can either of you recall if he's covered chord tracks in detail?

2 minutes ago, PatrickJ said:

I'll have to give them a watch.  Can either of you recall if he's covered chord tracks in detail?

Im pretty sure he has. might not be the Hang out videos, as these seem to be question answer things, but check the Cubase channel.

This any good?

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Thanks 1

I'm another Studio One user, it came with my hardware (since upgraded, but still to PreSonus hardware), and I havn't tried anything else since Sonar / Cakewalk which is going back a while. I do have cubasis on my iPad but I do very little with it.

What I'd say abvout Studio One, probably like a lot of DAWs, is that there are some concepts in there which have been well thought out but it helps if you understand them. The way that tracks, channels and VSTs interact, things like that. Once you get that stuff, I think it's a really nice DAW to work in. Lots if info online etc, it's up there now as a contender and apparantly considered a "rising star" (as opposed to a "falling classic"). There's definitely lots of development goes into it, including recent-ish things like the arranger track which can be really handy. PreSonus bought Notion as well and the musical notation editing is in there now and I expect that to improve. It does more than I use, but I'd rather it was that way round than the other.

Edited by adamg67
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

I like that a lot of DAWs are giving free 30 day introductions because they are all pretty good and do similar things - it's mostly down to how you like to work and what you find easy and intuitive.

I went full on with the downloads and currently have Reason, Reaper, Fruityloops, Ableton, Cakewalk and Cubase all competing (I used Logic for years but got fed up with Apple so have gone Windows now). 

Personally, I think Cubase is going to win it for me. 

4 hours ago, SumOne said:

Personally, I think Cubase is going to win it for me. 

I absolutely LOVE Cubase Pro, i cant get enough of it lol. If there is something it cant do ive not found it yet (thats not really saying much though).

Only problem with the demo is you have to have a dongle for the pro version. 

Occasionally i use Elements if I’m too lazy to use the second, Cubase only install of Windows 10 as its on a dual boot system. Even that it amazing though. 

I think with Cubase its not obvious why its so good. On paper I’m sure most other pro DAW’s can do a lot of what CB can do, but its how it’s implemented that makes it so easy to use. 

• Like 4