Why become a member? ×

Hofner 500/3 Control Plate

chrisaxe

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone would be able to help me please!

I have recently bought an early 60’s Hofner 500/3 Bass, with the one knob control panel. I understand that this features a volume pot, as well as the usual three treble / bass / rhythm and lead switches. My question is how this worked with only the one pickup, as my understanding is that usually the treble and bass switches were on/off switches for the two pickups. I can’t seem to find any information about how this control panel works with a one pickup bass such as mine, as there is no treble pickup to turn on and off.

Currently the volume control works but the switches do not seem to do anything, so I was looking gain an understanding of how these controls worked on a one pickup bass before I open it up and check the solder joints and wiring.

Many thanks in advance!

I cant help you with any in depth technical info but on the 2 pickup Hofner's the bass On position switches off the bridge pickup but also engages a capacitor that rolls off the treble, the Treble slider in the On position switches off the neck pickup and engage a bass cut capacitor, I imagine on the one pickup basses it engages the above capacitors just without switching off pickup(s)

Edited by shoulderpet

13 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

I cant help you with any in depth technical info but on the 2 pickup Hofner's the bass On position switches off the bridge pickup but also engages a capacitor that rolls off the treble, the Treble slider in the On position switches off the neck pickup and engage a bass cut capacitor, I imagine on the one pickup basses it engages the above capacitors just without switching off pickup(s)

Interesting! I had no idea. I'll open up the control plate soon and see if there are any capacitors that suggest this is what is happening. Thank you for your help!