Why become a member? ×

Mahogany mudbucker p bass

martyy

This build is my first and was 12 years in the making. I started on carving the body blank with my dad, and after he died I lost the nerve to complete it. It has been knocking about my garage ever since. Lockdown inspired me to finish it. Pleased with how it turned out. Only the wiring and a setup to do and it's finally done, all these years later.

IMG_20210315_090701.jpg

• Like 26

I originally wanted a Fender wide range humbucker, but it turns out that they aren't available off-the-shelf, and would have to get one custom made. So instead I went for the cheap and cheerful Artec mudbucker. Hopefully can get the soldering iron out for it this week. 

Soldering done. I was not quite ready for the output of that pickup! I had to lower the pole pieces right down, and back off every gain knob in the signal path! Now that everything has stopped clipping it sounds BIG! I don't usually play with a pick but it sounds particularly good with one, especially muted.  It's definitely a very different sound to any other bass I have, which is what I was aiming for.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, martyy said:

Soldering done. I was not quite ready for the output of that pickup! I had to lower the pole pieces right down, and back off every gain knob in the signal path! Now that everything has stopped clipping it sounds BIG! I don't usually play with a pick but it sounds particularly good with one, especially muted.  It's definitely a very different sound to any other bass I have, which is what I was aiming for.

Cool! Given the pickup position and everything I would have thought so too. I'd love to hear a sound clip!

21 hours ago, martyy said:

I recorded this direct through a TC Electronic Spectradrive (set flat).

1. fingerstyle

2. fingerstyle with the tone control at 0

3. pick

4. pick with palm mute

The one with the tone rolled off sounds ridiculous 😁

mahogany-mudbucker.mp3 1.2 MB · 18 downloads

Thanks - what a great tone! You're right - very individual sounding!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Bit of an update. Ultimately there was too much mud for a band setting so I gave the bass a makeover. Routed the edges and added contours, added a regular p bass pickup, painted it halford matt black and added a pickguard to hide the old cavity.

IMG_20220810_165005.thumb.jpg.1600c2c5377051303c0f73fdbce8c6ab.jpg

• Like 6