Why become a member? ×

Artists best known for one unrepresentative song

Nail Soup

9 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

To be fair, this one ain’t solo either. It’s by ‘Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus’.

Bummer,  thought I’d got away with that......👹👹👹

Edited by Baxlin

21 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Rumour has it their new album is a complete departure from Grime.

I understand they’re pretty much recognised as the leading lights in the slime scene - and innovative blend of grime and frogspawn stylings!

18 hours ago, davepb24 said:

All About Eve are probably unfortunately best known for that TOTP appearance, while they did come up with the odd similar type of thing they could also rock with the best of them when they put their minds to it, especially on stage

It is really sad because it wasn't the bands fault. I thought she had an amazing voice (she now teaches songwriting at my old university in Bath - not the posh one!). I had the first two albums but that second album was a little folky for my taste. During lockdown I checked out the last 2 albums and they were a real return to form.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

It is really sad because it wasn't the bands fault. I thought she had an amazing voice

Doubly so given her well documented performance anxiety issues. That can’t have helped!

3 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

During lockdown I checked out the last 2 albums and they were a real return to form.

Touched By Jesus has some cracking songs on it! That’s my morning playlist sorted!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bass_dinger said:

I read that as Gordon Brown (best know for his chart run from 1997 to 2007 as Chancellor of the Exchequer, but a lecturer in politics, journalist and editor for Scottish Television, Doctor of history, and Prime Minister)

And, don't forget, a big fan of The Arctic Monkeys.

2 minutes ago, Nicko said:

The only song I remember by Herbie Hancock is Rockit - scratchy 80s EDM.  Most of his stuff (to me) is dreadful jazz.

He had another dance hit in an earlier period with I Thought it Was You. Both that and Rockit were very different to his amazing Jazz repertoire!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

Wonderstuff Dizzy. Pretty sure a large number of people who know that don't even know Size of a Cow.

Yes! AMAZING live band. I saw them at the Thekla a few years back and Miles announced that they definitely would not be doing "that f***ing Dizzy s**t" :lol:  They did do Size Of A Cow though, and the live version kicks the daylights out of the recorded one in terms of energy.

Edited by Rich
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rich said:

Yes! AMAZING live band. I saw them at the Thekla a few years back and Miles announced that they definitely would not be doing "that f***ing Dizzy s**t" :lol:  They did do Size Of A Cow though, and the live version kicks the daylights out of the recorded one in terms of energy.

Saw Miles do a solo gig in Liverpool promoting new material. One drunk constantly heckled for Size. 'for some people it will always be 19 fxxcking 91' was his response.

And yes, the late Martin Gilkes was a great live drummer.

18 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Don't know if it has been mentioned 

Yes it has :) 

On 15/03/2021 at 09:28, wateroftyne said:

Yes and Owner of a Lonely Heart might qualify, but it could be argued that it was representative of their output at the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Don't know if it has been mentioned but I imagine non-musos would possibly know Yes by 'Owner Of A Lonely Heart'.

As a non-muso masquerading as a bass player I'd say you're kinda right. I actually like that song but hate the proggy stuff.

Anyway back to the OP. 'Missing' is nowt like the rest of Everything But The Girl's Sade-like jazz pop

24 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Anyway back to the OP. 'Missing' is nowt like the rest of Everything But The Girl's Sade-like jazz pop

But the well-known single version is a remix by Todd Terry and is far more representative of his output than EBTG's

On 16/03/2021 at 08:32, TrevorR said:

Doubly so given her well documented performance anxiety issues. That can’t have helped!

Touched By Jesus has some cracking songs on it! That’s my morning playlist sorted!

Ultraviolet seemed a bit of a desperate attempt to 'move with the times' and although I applaud bands not trying to make the same record over and over the mix on Ultraviolet was awful, her voice was one of the key parts of their sound and you can barely hear her at times.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2021 at 08:32, TrevorR said:

Must say that on the various occasions I saw AAE (both original and acoustic lineups) if Julianne was feeling nervous it didn't show, wonderful voice and great performer. Felt very happy when she replied to a comment of mine on FB recently 🙂

• Like 1