Why become a member? ×

Artists best known for one unrepresentative song

Nail Soup

5 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Part Of The Union by The Strawbs might fit.

So out of kilter from typical Strawbs (Dave Cousins had no involvement at all) it was originally going to be released under the band name of 'The Brothers'.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Cat Burrito said:

I wasn't a fan myself but Terrorvision's Tequila springs to my mind.

The Mint Royale remix you mean? The original's pretty normal for them at that time (i.e. not as good as anything on the previous two albums 😆), but they'd had plenty of top-25 singles before then.

Interesting to compare with the similarly-remixed Brimful Of Asha by Cornershop. The original struggled to number 60:

Then Norman Cook worked his magic and gave them a number 1:

They barely troubled the charts again after that.

Edited by MartinB

57 minutes ago, davepb24 said:

All About Eve are probably unfortunately best known for that TOTP appearance, while they did come up with the odd similar type of thing they could also rock with the best of them when they put their minds to it, especially on stage

Ah, In the Meadow... that takes me back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus, by far his best known solo record. Nothing like the rest of his music. It was a pile of toss while the rest of his solo records were complete and utter toss. 

So “really quite good” by comparison then ...

7 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

Golden Brown is The Stranglers biggest  selling hit so anyone trying out Rattus on the strength of that could be in for a bit of a shock

I read that as Gordon Brown (best know for his chart run from 1997 to 2007 as Chancellor of the Exchequer, but a lecturer in politics, journalist and editor for Scottish Television, Doctor of history, and Prime Minister)

1 hour ago, SteveXFR said:

High sales rarely mean good music. Just as Jedward, Spice Girls, Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer 

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

What is 'good'?

The people who buy it think it's good.

6 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Spot the jazzer...

No no, I'm happy to go along with Steve. It means our album must be really good. 😁

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, ezbass said:

Don’t Speak - No Doubt. They were a ska band IIRC and that single was anything but. I liked it though.

That entire album (Tragic Kingdom) is majestic.

Anything before or after grates on me apart from Hella Good which is just a mad little tune.

36 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

That entire album (Tragic Kingdom) is majestic

Yes. Yes it is.

I really like ‘Rock Steady’ though - ND with Sly and Robbie at the helm with a smattering of Prince dropped into the mix? Yes please!

6 hours ago, MartinB said:

The Mint Royale remix you mean? The original's pretty normal for them at that time (i.e. not as good as anything on the previous two albums 😆), but they'd had plenty of top-25 singles before then.

Interesting to compare with the similarly-remixed Brimful Of Asha by Cornershop. The original struggled to number 60:

Then Norman Cook worked his magic and gave them a number 1:

They barely troubled the charts again after that.

But to be fair, Cornershop’s original is deadly dull while Norm’s remix is a cracking single! Which suggests most of the attraction is the added Fatboy touch!

7 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

Three pages in and not a single mention of The Toy Dolls big hit!

Off their credibility and career went with a trumpetty trump trump trump...

Drummer in our band was the drummer of The Toy Dolls.  Not a lot of people know that he went on to play for quite a few years with Richie Blackmore!  :)  

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, TrevorR said:

But to be fair, Cornershop’s original is deadly dull while Norm’s remix is a cracking single! Which suggests most of the attraction is the added Fatboy touch!

Oh, I agree 100% - that remix an absolute classic! 😎

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

Oh they were riveting live..........

20 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Oh they were riveting live..........

Adding a bass might have helped..........

Actually a lot of Cornershops ideas were pretty good, but just fall a bit flat in their execution.

The two songs I like way ahead of any other are the Fatboy remix and a song which featured an Indian woman as a guest singer.

Edited by Nail Soup

18 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

The title of the thread is artists best known for one unrepresentative song. I'm not sure these two examples qualify. 

You’re correct, and I did mis-read the title, but having said that, were there better-known Paul McCartney solo offerings?  With that Liverpool combo and/or with his missus and that ex-Moody Blues bloke, and credited accordingly, yes, but solo?

And never having been a Bowie fan, the one I mentioned is the first of his songs I name....

But I agree, possibly I shouldn’t have posted either of these.  Wrist considered slapped. 😩😩

Edited by Baxlin

17 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

High sales rarely mean good music. Just as Jedward, Spice Girls, Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer 

Ah the Spice Girls. I was such a fan! Had a bunch of their posters on the wall. Didn't know they made music.

Edited by Bolo
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Baxlin said:

You’re correct, and I did mis-read the title, but having said that, were there better-known Paul McCartney solo offerings?  With that Liverpool combo and/or with his missus and that ex-Moody Blues bloke, and credited accordingly, yes, but solo?

But I agree, possibly I shouldn’t have posted either of these.  Wrist considered slapped. 😩😩

To be fair, this one ain’t solo either. It’s by ‘Paul McCartney and the Frog Chorus’.

Edited by wateroftyne
  • Haha 2