Why become a member? ×

Hermes....don’t go near em

lowlandtrees

36 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Well add DHL to the list of couriers that can't be bothered to deliver to the right address.

Earlier today I had an email from a supplier saying that my order had been completed. When I emailed them back asking what that meant, because I hadn't received my items from them yet, I got a message saying that they had checked the tracking and apparently the "delivery was refused" yesterday. That's weird because I work from home and I am in all day. From where I work I can see pretty much every vehicle that comes down the street - it's a cul-de-sac - and there was no DHL van/lorry that I noticed yesterday, and no attempted delivery that I have "refused". I did have a parcel delivered by my trusty postman with no problem. What this means is that they have tried the wrong address - but which wrong address I don't know because all my neighbours know me and they know that I work from home and if I really hadn't been i would have taken the parcel for me. The tracking number that my supplier has given me doesn't work, and having phoned them up for more information they now can't get the tracking number to work for them so that delivery can be re-arranged for Monday. Oh joy!

DHL - Delivering Horribly Late

Particularly helpful photographic evidence of a Hermes delivery that I received, thankfully after wifey had already found it dumped by her car. Of course this being Lockdown, and having barely left the house in a year, we were both in all that day

IMG_0263.JPG

• Haha 1

A friend of mine sold a Macbook over the weekend. He used Hermes and he dropped the parcel off at a local collection point in a shop. It was delivered today to the buyer. When they opened the box someone had taken the Macbook out and put some random junk in there. Probably happened at the shop or with the delivery driver in my mates opinion. He paid for insurance but he's waiting for Hermes to attempt to dodge it. 

On 16/03/2021 at 23:42, 12stringbassist said:

And it's still not here...

And it's STILL not here...

Amazon caved on the order cancellation and I got a refund for the TV, stating breach of contract over the delivery date. Ordered 10th, delivery due 13th. Ordered same TV from Argos Friday morning. Click and collect. Went out for it an hour later.

Hoping Hermes do try to deliver it so I can tell them to take it away again.  

Edited by 12stringbassist

On 18/03/2021 at 14:09, BigRedX said:

Well add DHL to the list of couriers that can't be bothered to deliver to the right address.

Earlier today I had an email from a supplier saying that my order had been completed. When I emailed them back asking what that meant, because I hadn't received my items from them yet, I got a message saying that they had checked the tracking and apparently the "delivery was refused" yesterday. That's weird because I work from home and I am in all day. From where I work I can see pretty much every vehicle that comes down the street - it's a cul-de-sac - and there was no DHL van/lorry that I noticed yesterday, and no attempted delivery that I have "refused". I did have a parcel delivered by my trusty postman with no problem. What this means is that they have tried the wrong address - but which wrong address I don't know because all my neighbours know me and they know that I work from home and if I really hadn't been i would have taken the parcel for me. The tracking number that my supplier has given me doesn't work, and having phoned them up for more information they now can't get the tracking number to work for them so that delivery can be re-arranged for Monday. Oh joy!

Update on the DHL parcel. 

It turns out that the parcel hadn't been refused by me, but DHL have finally admitted to the supplier that the parcel had been damaged which is why it hadn't been delivered. Don't know why they think they had to lie about the delivery status? Maybe they thought if they said it had been refused the problem would go away? Idiots.

Not massively impressed with the supplier, who had to be chased up on a daily basis in order to get this information and to get them to send out replacement items. I've insisted on a tracking number in advance this time.

Hermes delivered a hearing aid to my father in law recently.

Well when I say delivered to him, they delivered it somewhere. He stays in a 15 storey high flat with 6 flats on each landing, a total of 90 separate dwellings. He also stays on the 15th floor and due to covid regs, only 1 person is allowed in the lift or 2 if they are family so the lifts can take ages to arrive.

They have a picture of the box outside a white door but guess what, all the flats doors are white and identical! Who knows what flat he left it outside, it could have been one of the other 3 identical buildings he just happened to be delivering to.

Needless to say the dispute is carrying on...

And add FedEx to the crap list.

Printed proofs coming from China sent by FedEx. Unfortunately the printers forgot to send me the tracking info so the first I knew about it was when I returned from a 10 minute trip to the shops yesterday morning and found the "We Missed You" card. Not a problem, I didn't know it was coming so it's not really their fault. I'll organise a redelivery.

Go onto the FedEx web site and sort out a delivery for today. While I'm on there I notice that there is also an option to to nominate a neighbour for the delivery, so I thought I would do that as a back up. However once a redelivery has been arranged it is impossible to add another option via the web site (and the phone number on the page you to call because there is a problem, just tells you to use the web site). Spend 5 minutes scouring the web site for a customer service number and trying to persuade the "virtual assistant" to let me speak to a human being before I get one. Fifteen minutes on hold finally gets me through to a real human being who is very helpful and says that she is able to also add my neighbour's address to the delivery details. Sorted, I think...

This morning some time between 8.00 and 9.00 FedEx try to deliver again. The first I know about it is when I spot they have put another card through my letterbox. Again not a problem I'll just go and collect from my neighbour. She's not got my parcel, no-one has knocked on her door all morning. Phone customer services yet again (it's a good thing I wrote down the number yesterday when I found it) This time it get escalated and I have been told that they will contact the driver and tell them to make another delivery later today. If this is true that will be great, but it really shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Compare and contrast with my "damaged" DHL parcel which was sent again this time by Parcel Force. On my return from the shops yesterday morning, I spotted a PF van in the street, the driver waved me over and said he had a parcel for me, which he handed over and told me to ignore the card through the door. He's spotted me coming down the street, and had waited for me in order to deliver the parcel. Now that's excellent service.

Edited by BigRedX

8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Does anyone have the contact details for the head of FedEx in the UK?

Tried of being lied to on the phone and then cut off whilst on hold.

Have you tried twitter? That often seems to be the way to get a response nowadays

9 hours ago, WalMan said:

Have you tried twitter? That often seems to be the way to get a response nowadays

I'm not on Twitter - I've never seen the point, and therefore I don't think a Tweet from someone who has obviously just joined to have a moan at FedEx is going to carry much weight.

7 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I'm not on Twitter - I've never seen the point, and therefore I don't think a Tweet from someone who has obviously just joined to have a moan at FedEx is going to carry much weight.

You'd be surprised how quick a moaning tweet at a company gets a response, certainly quicker than an email or phone. I don't really use twitter (maybe a fraction more nowadays) but when I started it was to have a moan at a company and it got an almost instant response and fix

• 3 weeks later...

The Mrs has been using Hermes to post items that's she raffles in aid of Boston Terrier Rescue. Needless to say that eventually it all went wrong. One big parcel, next day delivery, shrinkwrapped containing 20 items didn't even make it out of the first sorting depot. Insurance claim now in process. Not much consolation to the raffle winner though.

She also sent a load of dog jumpers and coats to Bulldog rescue via Hermes. They went the same way.

I learned my lesson a long time ago with them and now hopefully the Mrs has.

When parcels don't make it out of the town they were posted from, there's something seriously amiss.

I've had a lot of deliveries from a lot of companies over the last few weeks, and the only one to make a complete mess of things is...Hermes

An Amazon delivery from the USA - rather than doing it themselves (as they do for orders from Europe) they seem to put the deliveries into the hands on one of the panel of logistics managers who then arrange the delivery.  Parcel makes it to the UK about a week ahead of the estimated delivery date (which seems pretty standard for the US Amazon orders - I had another one delivered today, a week ahead of the estimate) who then give it to Hermes.  A day later Hermes has an update, that "We're sorry your parcel has been delayed, we'll have it on the move in the next 24 hours".

Over 100 hours later I contact Amazon to point out that the local courier with a reputation for losing and selling packages had reported a delay four days previously.  I then had an, ahem, interesting exchange with the first Customer Services person who couldn't understand that if a parcel was showing as Out For Delivery on their tracking then clearly it was an issue if it had been out for delivery for four days, even if that is still two days ahead of the original estimated delivery date.  I got transferred to a manager who agreed that perhaps something did seem wrong, and they would chase their "logistics partner" who would in turn chase Hermes.  And if it still hadn't arrived by the original delivery date then I could ask for a refund.

Which I did not want because it is an Amazon.com exclusive release, shown as sold out on Amazon.com.

I'm amazed when the Hermes tracker app was updated to show that they now had my parcel!  Great, that exclusive is on it's way to me.  And not at all updated simply because Amazon had chased them...

Then nothing for two days, despite them apparently having it ready for delivery.

And then "We're sorry your parcel has been delayed, we'll have it on the move in the next 24 hours".  That was 170 hours ago, yet still they are telling me that it will be on the move again by 11.30 last Thursday.

By a stroke of luck Amazon in the UK now has the US exclusive to order through their global store, and oddly a few quid cheaper than the US order, so it was an easy decision to get a refund from the US order and place a new one through the UK site...currently shown as having cleared UK customs...keeping my fingers crossed that they don't give it to Hermes for the last few miles

Edited by Monkey Steve

On 18/03/2021 at 19:49, Mudpup said:

A friend of mine sold a Macbook over the weekend. He used Hermes and he dropped the parcel off at a local collection point in a shop. It was delivered today to the buyer. When they opened the box someone had taken the Macbook out and put some random junk in there. Probably happened at the shop or with the delivery driver in my mates opinion. He paid for insurance but he's waiting for Hermes to attempt to dodge it. 

£1000 item sent with a £2.99 courier - was that so wise ?

Thing is, I can understand that mistakes happen, and with Hermes being the biggest UK couriers after the Royal Mail, they will also be the ones who lose or damage the most.  It probably makes sense for high volume senders, where a small saving on the individual postage cost adds up to massive savings, and more than pays for any losses not covered by insurance (or, more likely, more than pays for the independent insurance for the losses)

But unlike Amazon, DPD or UPS (who have also delivered packages to me recently) they are noticeably the only ones who seem to give a boot full of parcels to some bloke to drop off in his car.  Unlike some others, I don't seem to have a "local Hermes driver" - possibly it's different if you are the sender. I seem to have a different person each time, never in a Hermes van.

While Amazon are repeat offenders for knocking on the door and running away, Hermes are the only ones who frequently just dump the parcel on the doorstep and leave without even bothering to knock on the door.

I've just seen a post on our village Facebook page, along the lines of "does anybody recognise this front door, 'cause that's where DPD have left my package but it's not my front door".

I think they're all a bit carp from time to time. 

I've never had a problem with Hermes...

I bought a couple of guitar stands off a guy via Facebook Marketplace. 
He sent them by Hermes and I groaned a bit. 
I got a message from Hermes this morning to say it would be delivered between 11 am and 1 pm.  It was, by a lovely lady who rang the doorbell and waited for me to open the door.  Everything in the box was fine.