Why become a member? ×

Di in = Di out?

la bam

Hi all,

Just a quick question - otherwise I'll have to get the desk out and test later in the year...

If I'm putting a di pedal (with no di out option) into the return socket on my amp to bypass the amps preamp section, does the amps di still work? Or will I get no sound at all? And if it does work will it be just the sound from my pedal, not the amps native preamp sound?

Edited by la bam

5 hours ago, Alec said:

I never understand why people ask questions like this without saying what kit they're using - it makes any meaningful answer impossible.

(Subtle hint to the OP, a bit more info would help!)

Sorry, the long term intention was to find out if it would work for on the road gigs where I could just plug the di into the supplied amp for stage monitoring only, with the di going to desk. I wouldnt know what amp would be supplied.

I could always take an extra di box to get around it and be safe if needed, it's not a problem.

19 minutes ago, la bam said:

Sorry, the long term intention was to find out if it would work for on the road gigs where I could just plug the di into the supplied amp for stage monitoring only, with the di going to desk. I wouldnt know what amp would be supplied.

I could always take an extra di box to get around it and be safe if needed, it's not a problem.

That is a very different question from the one you asked.

'Most' amps will let let you line in via the fx return. I think it's more usual to have the onboard DI taken from before that point but even it it isn't the original question is moot anyway because you'll never know until you get there.

It seems what you are looking for is a comprehensive preamp with its own DI out and line out. If you set it up with a PA friendly sound and use the stage amp front input for monitoring you're all set.

There's many ways to skin that cat depending on whether you are using fx and how coloured your own amplification is. You might be looking at a new FRFR rig for yourself to go with the preamp.

Beware the rabbit hole.

On 16/03/2021 at 08:52, Phil Starr said:

You are asking for a splitter. Many DI boxes will do that for you, even something as simple as this.

image.png.34c359b62e7ad2cab6ee3343677efa1f.png

Just be warned, the DI20 is possibly one of the nastiest bits of audio kit in existance.   A pure white noise generator, disguised as a DI box.  £20 for a dual DI - this product proved the mantra "too good to be true"...