Why become a member? ×

GHS Pressurewound - an epiphany!

Pow_22

So, in short ive always been a P bass/Flatwound player for as long as i can remeber.  I discovered flatwound perfection for me in the Elites Detroit flatwounds and have happily thumped away for around 10 or so years on these with various p basses.

Fast forward to my lockdown band project recording remotely (which the Ampeg SVT Tube DI is phenominal for BTW) and i was clear i needed something a bit more modern.  I HATE rounds, their shrill top end, unconrollable harmonics that always seem to lack proper thump - i tried allsorts - nickels, steels and alloys.  I got close to a good sound with the Elites Grounds but the E died too quick.  Tried the D'addario halfs which were good but still not quite right and just as i was about to order some GHS Brite Flats someone mentioned GHS Pressurewounds.

Now years ago i did tinker with DR Fat Beams which were apparently similar in construction i.e compression wound so i thought i knew what to expect.  Well, the Pressurewounds arrived and i strung them up - meh, felt nice but to my flatwound biased ear they just sounded like rounds.  I left them on and kept picking up the bass (a USA Peavey Unity bass) and tinkering with the setup.  About 24hrs in and id say around 6 or 7 hours on the strings they are now starting to sound EXACTLY what i had in my head.  The depth and fundamental is there, its a thumpy punch.  The hights are tamed but not dead, The E rings but isnt shrill, it has beef!

If i could change ONE thing it would be a little more tension but sound wise im really enjoying these after years and years on flats.  They will certianly be going on my incoming Spector!

Edited by Pow_22
Sausage finger typing
  • Like 2

Honestly, if youdve said to me a few weeks ago that not only would i have a bass without flatwounds on it but that id actually really like it id’ve required you to take a drugs test :)  Not cheap, bass direct seem cheapest from what ive seen so far, but lovely.  Dont make my mistake though and judge them straight away (or maybe thats just a flatwound user error)

• Like 1

Hey Mick, better watch all of the first video as he's really playing like a bassist after that dusty end introduction...

That said, the Alembic CX3 strings are the same and according to many people exactly the same strings built by GHS for them.

These are indeed excellent strings with all the advantages of both types and not the disadvantages, except that they tend to rust very quickly : thank you nickel-iron... I had the Alembic CX-3 on my Alembic's and they simply were the best strings you can put on these basses.

You can even buy a 6 strings set by Alembic and I think this CX-3/30LCB set will go on my newly acquired Le Fay Remington Steele 6 RHT CC CAP Big Block.

http://www.alembic.com/prod/strings.html

They have a lot of advantages. Smooth to the touch, which is kind to your fingers, frets, and fret boards if you like fretlesses. I like the sound, which has both flat and round wound tones. They are not that expensive. 

And yes, Lozz196, they work quite well on Jazz Basses. They do calm the highs down without losing the top end.