Why become a member? ×

Yes I know..... modded it again....

HazBeen

Many have seen my 5 string build last year. Originally I planned it to be fretted, with 2 EMG MMCS pickups. As the project progressed, I decided to make it a fretless with 1 MM pup. Then the Wenge fretboard turned to not be hard enough, so I took off the fretboard and turned it into an ebony fretboard lined fretless. 

I have since found that my two 4 string fretless basses are all I need, so I thought let’s have some fun.

So I added the 2nd pickup, replaced the single saddle bridge with a Schaller I had laying around. I did this so I can use the single saddle bridge for my upcoming multi scale 5, and fretted the thing. Since I had holes in the back from the single saddle bridge, I doweled them, and then created a battery cavity.

I created a solid integrated finger ramp by routing out the cavity a little larger and creating a wenge insert between the pickups.

Result as per the below. It plays and sounds great..... and I can now move on to my next build 😂

80B5ACA8-5E7E-4D40-B297-539C2CD966E3.jpeg

06B056DB-2513-47BE-BECB-4BB5A0E1C70F.jpeg

397A3D14-0E91-462C-BC3A-DDB36D44F7EE.jpeg

582F50B9-E747-40B0-BE5E-57F19AF19AE4.jpeg

Edited by HazBeen
  • Like 10

That looks tidy and functional.

I think I'd have problems with the ends of your ramp though.  I'd have to plug the screw holes with dowel and preserve a rounded edge from the neck to the bridge pickup.  As it is integral screw access is not required.

That or just not have a ramp but that's just because I've never tried to play with one.

19 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

That looks tidy and functional.

I think I'd have problems with the ends of your ramp though.  I'd have to plug the screw holes with dowel and preserve a rounded edge from the neck to the bridge pickup.  As it is integral screw access is not required.

That or just not have a ramp but that's just because I've never tried to play with one.

It feels the same playing on the ramp section as it does on the pickup over the screw hole, it is like that by design. I have very particular wishes wrt a ramp (I love them) and this one (counting the pickups themselves as part of it) covers all main playing positions and still leaves enough room to pluck. 

• Like 1