Why become a member? ×

How long to wait for an eBay buyer to respond?

Jakester

I've just sold a fairly expensive (£1,500) item on eBay, by accepting a bidder's offer on a BIN. 

He made the offer at around 3pm yesterday. I sent an invoice and asked when he wanted to collect (it's a large item). No response. 

I sent another message yesterday evening (as prompted by eBay) asking when he would like to collect. No response. 

I'm fairly sure eBay send him reminders - when I last bought something collect only I recall I was bombarded with reminders to 'pay now' (presumably so they got their cut via Paypal before it was spun off).

I appreciate everyone is busy, but he made the offer. How long is reasonable to wait before relisting? 

It's particularly annoying as it was on a £1 FVF so if I have to relist again, it's going to cost me £150 or so. I need to get it shifted ASAP (already bought  its replacement 😜) so don't want to have to wait until the next £1 offer comes along. 

5 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

This is why eBay allows you to exclude people with unpaid item strikes from bidding.

Already set. No idea what this chap’s issue is - still nothing. I wouldn’t mind but he was the one who made the offer!

• Sad 1

It's entirely in your court. If they're not responding relist it, whilst you wait and try and resolve.

If someone buys it in the meantime, then tough for the initial buyer. Cancel the original transaction due to non communication. If the original buyer gets in touch then cancel the second listing.

Dont wait a month before you relist again.

If someone buys, then cant be bothered replying, then tough. They obviously know they placed a bid and what to expect.

Priority for you is getting it sold. Dont put yourself at the mercy of people who will mess you around.

It may be genuine. Some people are genuinely slow. Some guy tried going mad at me once because it took him a week to respond! I told him tough and it had since been sold.

A days wait is fair enough, but any longer - especially as nearly everyone has ebay on their phone in their pocket - isnt acceptable.

Edited by la bam
  • Like 4

I'd say many eBay buyers are used to eBay allowing them quite many days before having to pay.
Dunno about updated rules, but when I was still active there, you had five days or a full week to pay for your item.
Your buyer may think in those terms ...
... or maybe they made an offer knowing that money is coming in next week.
... or maybe they made an offer just before leaving for the week-end.
... or maybe something suddenly happened in their life. What do I know.

I'd say give it to Monday evening and then decide.
Me, I'd maybe send a friendly reminder after a few days, and then wait out the max period that eBay sets, which I do not think is identical to the mentioned two days.

Edited by BassTractor

@Jakester - what's the buyers feedback like? If it's 100% or close to it and say has 50-100+ 'feedbacks' then maybe give them a day or two, if they have zero feedback or close to it then I wouldn't waste your time, the chances are they won't be paying! I always get a bit nervous when a zero feedbacker wins an auction of mine, at least 50% of the time they don't pay and are totally unresponsive.

I always pay straight away because if I’m bidding on something it’s because I want it, and It also gives you good feedback, I don’t like to keep people waiting for their money,   there has been a few occasions where I put a bid in early days and forgot about the item,  and I won it , but eBay send you so many notifications to pay on the app and on your email, most people have the app on their phone too, so there’s no excuse really not to pay 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BassTractor said:

I'd say many eBay buyers are used to eBay allowing them quite many days before having to pay.
Dunno about updated rules, but when I was still active there, you had five days or a full week to pay for your item.
Your buyer may think in those terms ...
... or maybe they made an offer knowing that money is coming in next week.
... or maybe they made an offer just before leaving for the week-end.
... or maybe something suddenly happened in their life. What do I know.

I'd say give it to Monday evening and then decide.
Me, I'd maybe send a friendly reminder after a few days, and then wait out the max period that eBay sets, which I do not think is identical to the mentioned two days.

Fair enough, but if that’s the case, just tell me. It’s the total lack of any comms that’s annoying. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, binky_bass said:

@Jakester - what's the buyers feedback like? If it's 100% or close to it and say has 50-100+ 'feedbacks' then maybe give them a day or two, if they have zero feedback or close to it then I wouldn't waste your time, the chances are they won't be paying! I always get a bit nervous when a zero feedbacker wins an auction of mine, at least 50% of the time they don't pay and are totally unresponsive.

It was reasonable - some poor feedback but mainly as a seller, as a buyer all 100%. 

Edited by Jakester

4 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

I always pay straight away because if I’m bidding on something it’s because I want it, and It also gives you good feedback, I don’t like to keep people waiting for their money,   there has been a few occasions where I put a bid in early days and forgot about the item,  and I won it , but eBay send you so many notifications to pay on the app and on your email, most people have the app on their phone too, so there’s no excuse really not to pay 

Agreed. Unless the seller says cash, or whatever, I pay straightaway. 

• Like 1

Out of fairness, I would try to contact the buyer for 7 days after the sale, on day 8, you report them, and relist the item.

From day 4, say that if you don't hear back from them after day 7, you will relist.

Generally, I would make the assumption that they have absolutely no intention of purchasing the item if they haven't paid up either straight away, or at worst a couple of days.

Edited by Skybone
  • Like 2

Don’t re-list the item until the buyer receives his strike for not paying. I think and don’t quote me, if you re-list within a few days eBay assume the issue is resolved and the buyer gets off with it. As one said above, wait till day seven and report on day eight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Downunderwonder said:

Do you get his location? Is it feasible that he can collect? If not I would forget about it.

Yep - got his full address, it’s a Newport postcode, so prob 30-40 miles or so - feasible, but I don’t know what the rules are for crossing from Wales to England and vice versa ATM are though. 

Sorry to hear you’ve had trouble. eBay is basically a waste of time. Too many dodgy/suspect sales and lazy sellers who think they’re selling gold dust for peanuts. It’s a buyers’ market, as evidenced by the huge number of unsold basses in the BC classifieds. It’s bad enough that people on here expect you to arrange your own courier. It seems that particular insidious disease is now creeping into eBay sales. Just had some idiot tell me “it doesn’t matter who books the courier so long as it’s insured”. Dead right - it doesn’t matter to him;)