Why become a member? ×

Solderless Cables

bassist_lewis

I've had a recurring problem with my solderless cables and wondered if anyone else had the same issue and/or had a solution. A few times now the copper core has broken off inside the jack connector, rendering it useless. This is very frustrating because I now have a pile of jacks that I can't do anything with, and I loathe to throw them away. Any advice appreciated.

Yep, that happened to me, useless on a gig.

No useful advice I'm afraid. After a while, I just cut my losses and swapped all my solderless patch leads out to Van Damme soldered ones. 

Edited by peteb
  • Like 2

I have a George l kit from maaany years ago, when they were allegedly the final word in patch cables. I've had a few die on me but usually could repair just by disassembling and reassembling. Sometimes cutting the tip of the cable worked as well. However the more I learn the more I hear it's an inherently flawed system. You can apparently solder them yourself, there's a bunch of videos on YouTube. Vertex effects have a bunch of videos on the subject and he's only mildly annoying! 😁 That could possibly be an option if you don't want to waste your jacks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimbobothy said:

... what system do you use? I use Evidence Audio SIS ones and no breakages yet.

Also Evidence Audio. I follow the instructions and think I'm cutting them right but, it's hard to tell. The only thing I can think of is leaving too much of the copper core exposed.

2 hours ago, bassist_lewis said:

Also Evidence Audio. I follow the instructions and think I'm cutting them right but, it's hard to tell. The only thing I can think of is leaving too much of the copper core exposed.

I put together loads of them. I thought that they looked alright, but not a single one worked. I ended up getting a tech to re-do everyone of them. He originally said that he would just fix what I had done as a favour, but ended up saying he would have to charge me £5 a cable because they were taking so long to get them to work. Despite that virtually every single one failed after a number of gigs. 

I'm afraid that they are way too much of a hassle / risk for a very marginal gain, certainly not feasible for live work.  

Edited by peteb

Being solderless they are bound to fail if you you are one of those people that reorganises their board a lot, or just a lot of plugging/unplugging. And it is definitely a pain when one goes down. I use Lava cables and have to admit the failure rate for me is not far off as with soldered cables!

I had a load of spare jacks and cable that I'd bought years ago, and was frustrated when I attempted to make a a few new ones up from memory and they didn't work, but after watching this video to refresh myself with the procedure, every single one has worked perfectly. 

• Like 1

I've used the Evidence Audio ones for a few years now and have put together probably ~50 or 60 cables throughout numerous board rearrangements, teardowns and pedal swaps, and I think I've only ever had one not work. I've never experienced any stop working over time once they're installed. I've no dog in this fight, but if you're after solderless they've worked brilliantly for me.

• Like 1

I use the Boss kits now after switching from the planet waves kits, never really had a issue.

i know soldered will take more abuse but a sturdy board of well tested cables that are gonna move alot will be just fine, and sound just as good.

i do feel alot of these solderless kits get bashed on when for the most part its user error that causes the failure.

• Like 1