Why become a member? ×

NBD x 2 - Spector love.......

mattbass6

I’ve just bought 2 simply wonderful, Spector basses. I decided upon a Euro Bolt 4, and a Euro LX 4. Both have Aguilar pickups, one with the OPB-2 preamp and one with a Tone Pump preamp. I’m completely and utterly enamoured with them both. They’ve had a basic set up, and need my preferred strings put on them, plus a small nut adjustment, but I’ve recorded with them, and they have blown me away. Stunning to play, and I just can’t believe I’ve not been down this route before. So happy, and Bass Direct have been fantastic helping me to get these incredible instruments ☺️

3EB86673-D794-4E91-AC94-468C36049685.jpeg

76EC4E15-08EC-43AE-B656-1C7351E31874.jpeg

D32A82FA-65C9-4D35-8114-7F9A2A8CEA82.jpeg

Edited by mattbass6
  • Like 16

3 minutes ago, BoomTing said:

Very Nice. Do You not play 6 Strings any more Matt? Or are these as well?

I stopped playing 6 string bass about 8 years ago. I moved to 5, and this past year, I’ve been exploring 4 string again and loving it. I still have a beautiful 5 string Vigier but haven’t owned a 6 for about 5 years. I will again, but it will be just for the studio ☺️

Hope you are well, and stay safe ☺️

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, mattbass6 said:

I stopped playing 6 string bass about 8 years ago. I moved to 5, and this past year, I’ve been exploring 4 string again and loving it. I still have a beautiful 5 string Vigier but haven’t owned a 6 for about 5 years. I will again, but it will be just for the studio ☺️

At current rates of progress you're going to be down to two strings in the 2030s...😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mattbass6 said:

Hope You are well & safe too.

I bet your shoulder it happy at the switch & I bet they sound fantastic.

But all this isn't helping My GAS for one of the Violet Fade ones!!! 😁

• Haha 1

On 12/03/2021 at 17:23, horrorshowbass said:

Cetera, have you tried the new multiscale dimension ones?

Not yet. None in the UK so far.... but they're getting great reviews and I'm seeing some Dingwall players in the US selling theirs and getting the new Spectors.

On 12/03/2021 at 15:54, cetera said:

Famous last words.... ;)

I'm on 26 Spectors now.... and 2 more incoming in the next 6 months..... lol! It's a disease I tell you.... ;)

Oooh what are the two new models you have incoming? 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, rhysyjob said:

Congratulations Matt! 
Spectors are superb Basses imho.

Enjoy, they will compliment your Vigier very well.

😉

R

Cheers, bud. Really happy with them and they really compliment the Vigier, nicely. Hope all is well with you ☺️

• Like 1

Lovely! How are you finding the Eurobolt and Aguilars? I’m a bit of a Bartolini fiend but am thinking about putting some Aggies in an upcoming build.

Also, are the P pickups closer to the bridge on the Eurobolt? Wonder why that is...either way looks good to me as I prefer playing toward the bridge anyway. 

6 hours ago, CookPassBabtridge said:

Lovely! How are you finding the Eurobolt and Aguilars? I’m a bit of a Bartolini fiend but am thinking about putting some Aggies in an upcoming build.

Also, are the P pickups closer to the bridge on the Eurobolt? Wonder why that is...either way looks good to me as I prefer playing toward the bridge anyway. 

I have to be honest, I’ve never tried Aguilar pups before buying these basses, and they are truly brilliant. Crisp, clear, and tonally responsive. The OBP-2 pre-amp is fantastic, as is the Tone Pump. Very impressed with the range of tones available, the presence and the power. Hands down, and I’ve recorded with many, many basses, the best yet. As for the pup placement on the Euro Bolt, it is because of the way the neck is joined to the body. It hasn’t changed my playing position at all. The placement of the pups gives a slightly different response to the Euro LX, but that can also be attributed to the fact the neck and board are maple, bolted on, and the a different pre-amp. As to the comparison with Bartolini pups, my only experience of them was from about 22 years ago, and they weren’t for me, so I swapped them out immediately. As I said, I love these Aguilar’s though. They suit the music I play, wonderfully. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mattbass6 said:

I have to be honest, I’ve never tried Aguilar pups before buying these basses, and they are truly brilliant. Crisp, clear, and tonally responsive. The OBP-2 pre-amp is fantastic, as is the Tone Pump. Very impressed with the range of tones available, the presence and the power. Hands down, and I’ve recorded with many, many basses, the best yet. As for the pup placement on the Euro Bolt, it is because of the way the neck is joined to the body. It hasn’t changed my playing position at all. The placement of the pups gives a slightly different response to the Euro LX, but that can also be attributed to the fact the neck and board are maple, bolted on, and the a different pre-amp. As to the comparison with Bartolini pups, my only experience of them was from about 22 years ago, and they weren’t for me, so I swapped them out immediately. As I said, I love these Aguilar’s though. They suit the music I play, wonderfully. 

Cool! Your praise is enough to convince me to give the Aguilars a whirl. It'll be DCBs mind, though I'm sure they'll have some of the core characteristics you mention. Funnily enough I have a Warwick SS1 that I''ve never quite loved the tone of, maybe I need to give the Spector Euros a look as I like the body shape and aesthetics too. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mattbass6 said:

Matt, thanks for the feedback on the aggies. Was worried they would be too old school

• Like 1