Why become a member? ×

Bass Direct

mattbass6

I find Mark very responsive, even out of hours. They’re not Amazon, but a one man band (plus the odd helper). Despite the higher commission than the Gallery they’ve sold all the basses I’ve sent on commission in a few weeks for far more than I’d get on here or eBay/Reverb with all the tyre kickers and lowball offers. It’s easy to forget there are very few dedicated bass shops in the UK, and I doubt any of us would do a better job for the profit margins on offer. They have a lot of very nice kit for sale, and post Br**it and the reduction of realistic buying options, have become more important.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

Nothing massively exciting. I have a Sterling SUB Stingray that has a Retrovibe Stinger pre-amp and I just thought I'd get a Nordstrand MM4.2 to add to it. Not really necessary as the Stinger does a great job with the stock pickup. I intend to get another SUB and swap out the electrics for the Nordstrand/Stinger setup currently in my OLP.

I'll then flog the OLP with the Sterling pre-amp and pickup and include the original OLP electrics too (passive VVT).

image.thumb.png.ef033de974380d931059a2e5a9d09715.png

• Like 1

On 27/12/2021 at 19:38, mr4stringz said:

The following from BD’s newsletter suggests improvements are imminent -

We have a brand new website coming in the next few weeks that will make searching and purchasing goods much easier and we will be adding more helpful content to guide you through the buying process for all items we sell plus useful tips and advise (sic).

I am weirdly excited by this, does that make me a saddo? 😂

In any case, I agree with the view that the current website isn’t great. However, I’ve found that their responsiveness via email and access to niche items you can’t really get anywhere else more than makes up for that.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Another excellent transaction with Mark and the guys at BD. Ordered an Aguilar OBP3 pre amp on Saturday, had the sales invoice on Sunday night(over a bank holiday weekend!) and the pre amp arrived this morning. Can’t knock that 

• Like 2

On 03/01/2022 at 11:34, Andermtc said:

According to this weeks email, new website coming in the next few weeks.

Always had great service, they recently obtained a new Just-A-Nut for me.

Wonder when the new website will be up and running? Anyone heard anything.........

47 minutes ago, baldwinbass said:

Always had great service, they recently obtained a new Just-A-Nut for me.

Wonder when the new website will be up and running? Anyone heard anything.........

Its still due in the next few weeks according to all the emails since January!

I ordered some strings and they took over a week to arrive but the fault was with Royal Mail whose 48 hour delivery turned to 120 hour delivery! When I rang up after a week BD  offered to send by Express another set but they then arrived the following day.

Oh, and best price in Europe on Labella strings too!

Edited by yorks5stringer
  • Like 1

On 07/06/2022 at 11:56, ern500evo said:

Another excellent transaction with Mark and the guys at BD. Ordered an Aguilar OBP3 pre amp on Saturday, had the sales invoice on Sunday night(over a bank holiday weekend!) and the pre amp arrived this morning. Can’t knock that 

On the other hand I ordered something online a week ago and got a receipt etc through. Week later nothing. Rang them today. "oh we don't have that in stock". Didn't even apologise.

Ok, so when were you going to bother getting in touch with the customer who's money you have and who's product you don't have in stock but happily took payment for and kept? Only takes an email or a phone call. 

Shame. Bass specific shops are really important but they need to function properly and not take money for gear they don't actually have - that's just poor. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, dodge_bass said:

On the other hand I ordered something online a week ago and got a receipt etc through. Week later nothing. Rang them today. "oh we don't have that in stock". Didn't even apologise.

Ok, so when were you going to bother getting in touch with the customer who's money you have and who's product you don't have in stock but happily took payment for and kept? Only takes an email or a phone call. 

Shame. Bass specific shops are really important but they need to function properly and not take money for gear they don't actually have - that's just poor. 

Agreed, that is pretty poor form 

18 hours ago, dodge_bass said:

Had the exact same thing happen, even after phoning them up first to make sure it was in stock after hearing these stories regularly. 

• Sad 2

23 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Had the exact same thing happen, even after phoning them up first to make sure it was in stock after hearing these stories regularly. 

Yeah, it's clearly an issue for them. I'll not bother using them again, most things can be bought elsewhere, it's just always nice to support (if possible) small independent retailers. 

They definitely struggle with their stock keeping system. I ordered some strings and a couple of other bits the other day. In fairness, whilst the money had gone from my account via PayPal they did email me promptly to say the items I'd ordered weren't in stock but they could order them in. They offered me a refund but I said I was happy for them to just send the goods when they arrived in store. 

Of course, I would have shopped elsewhere if their stock system was good enough to tell me they didn't actually have the gear I wanted. Maybe they don't want to miss out on those sales? 🤣

3 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

They definitely struggle with their stock keeping system. I ordered some strings and a couple of other bits the other day. In fairness, whilst the money had gone from my account via PayPal they did email me promptly to say the items I'd ordered weren't in stock but they could order them in. They offered me a refund but I said I was happy for them to just send the goods when they arrived in store. 

Of course, I would have shopped elsewhere if their stock system was good enough to tell me they didn't actually have the gear I wanted. Maybe they don't want to miss out on those sales? 🤣

I usually order 2-3 sets at a time and GAK have done this me last twice i've ordered. They had one set for next day delivery but rest would be in stock within a few days. They wanted me to wait but i said no and needed a set ASAP. I assumed they would charge me double postage but they didn't and the other string sets arrived 3 days later.

It didn't say on website how many they had in stock.

Dave

• Like 1

• 1 month later...