Why become a member? ×

At Last! A Zappa Documentary

SpondonBassed

On 11/03/2021 at 16:54, Doctor J said:

....so Zappa was my musical starting point but, even for me, his music ranges from sublime to unlistenable.

I am a longtime Zappa fan and whilst I'll admit, in my younger days, I struggled to get acquainted with some of his material at first, I can't think of anything now that I would class as unlistenable. I'm interested in what you would put in that category. No criticism at all, I'm genuinely interested. I've probably listened to more Zappa than any other composer in my lifetime - partly because there is more to listen to I guess and I now view anything that has his name on it as a 'safe pair of hands' if that makes sense. I blind buy everything the ZFT put out and bar a couple of compilations, I think I'm fairly Zappa complete. Don't even start me on the 100's of bootlegs I have. Really looking forward to watching the movie, but have been actively avoiding anything to do with it until I have my own copy that I can enjoy.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

have been actively avoiding anything to do with it until I have my own copy that I can enjoy.

Spoken like a true connoisseur.

It will be a while until it appears on the free channels so I might well invest myself.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rushbo said:

Is this available to view in the UK yet?

I did look the other day and you can watch it through the Atlantic film web site (I think) but you had a limited window to watch it (48 hrs) and you can’t go back afterwards for a re-watch (so it seemed to me). It’s available on disc through Amazon but will likely incur fees coming from the USA.

33 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I did look the other day and you can watch it through the Atlantic film web site (I think) but you had a limited window to watch it (48 hrs) and you can’t go back afterwards for a re-watch (so it seemed to me). It’s available on disc through Amazon but will likely incur fees coming from the USA.

Cheers Mr H. Here's the link for any UK based Zappafans:

https://www.altitude.film/page/zappa?country=united-kingdom

• Like 2

On 12/03/2021 at 09:47, Gareth Hughes said:

Yes - love that record. To the point that, talking to anyone named Barry, I can’t help but say ‘the way I see it Barry’. And it has various versions of my favourite Zappa tune, ‘Oh No’.

“Oh No” is a beautiful tune, and lyrically a nice dig at The Beatles. Did I imagine Ruth “on Ruth!” Underwood playing it on piano?

I watched the film and could’ve watched another few hours of it. I really enjoyed it, particularly the Zappa family home movies. His swift decline in health was sad to see.

There are numerous entry points into Frank’s music. For me it was via Channel 4 putting on “Does Humor Belong in Music” late one night in the latter half of the 80s. Instant Scott Thunes fan. And Scott was liked by Zappa, I think some of the other band members complaints about him have been retracted over the years.

Anyway, I digress..., particular favourites include -

We’re Only In It For the Money

Uncle Meat

The Grand Wazoo

Apostrophe 

Roxy & Elsewhere 

Ship Arriving Too Late to Save a Drowning Witch

You Can’t Do That On Stage Anymore (vols 1 to 6)

I’ve over 40 of his albums and there are favourites I’ll have missed in the above list. Never saw him live, thank goodness for Dweezil and Zappa Plays Zappa. Arf.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mike f said:

....And Scott was liked by Zappa, I think some of the other band members complaints about him have been retracted over the years.

With the notable exception of some of the brass section. If it had just been a straight ahead rock band line-up, that nonsense wouldn't have happened.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

With the notable exception of some of the brass section. If it had just been a straight ahead rock band line-up, that nonsense wouldn't have happened.

Mike Kineally wrote about all somewhere on the internet. Because I’m a big fan on Tom I’d like to believe it wasn’t Walt and/or Bruce Fowler complaining but I fear I may be wrong! It’s been awhile.

A Zappa highlight for me was at the Albert Hall seeing Dweezil duetting with a video of his dad from the 80 tour. Grown men in tears. Met Dweezil a few years later at the Roundhouse and told him, “thank you”. 

26 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I've bitten the bullet and ordered the blu-ray. Found it reasonably cheap on eBay. Should arrive next week.

I might have done the same but for the fact that my Blu-ray player can't "see" discs any more.

I can't be a®sed to troubleshoot until I am in the right frame of mind to re-cable all of the separates and hoover around the back of the lounge A/V system.

It's an old house and it can get right cobwebby behind with little critters and stuff if it's left long enough.  Not a nice job.

Have you a dedicated disc player H?  Just curious as to what's good these days in case I decide to replace mine.

6 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I might have done the same but for the fact that my Blu-ray player can't "see" discs any more.

I can't be a®sed to troubleshoot until I am in the right frame of mind to re-cable all of the separates and hoover around the back of the lounge A/V system.

It's an old house and it can get right cobwebby behind with little critters and stuff if it's left long enough.  Not a nice job.

Have you a dedicated disc player H?  Just curious as to what's good these days in case I decide to replace mine.

Yes, I was fortunate to get one of the (then) best multi-regional players available before they inexplicably stopped making disc players and moved over to mobile phones instead. It's an OPPO.

I'm not sure what is good and what is not these days to be honest. I'd have to look into a bit more before recommending anything I'm afraid.

• Thanks 1

I have great memories of this gig (see link) as one of the best gigs and performances that I saw back them. Very memorable and technically brilliant. Zappa shared the stage with the rest while overseeing the whole performance. It was the best!

https://vintagerock.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/frank-zappa-newcastle-city-hall-13th-february-1979/

6 hours ago, mike f said:

Mike Kineally wrote about all somewhere on the internet. Because I’m a big fan on Tom I’d like to believe it wasn’t Walt and/or Bruce Fowler complaining but I fear I may be wrong! It’s been awhile. 

Keneally used to have a big section on his website called '1988 Was a Million Years ago', which was essentially his tour diary from that last tour. It doesn't seem to be there anymore, unfortunately. It was a good read.

Edit... FOUND IT.....http://www.keneally.com/archive/1988/1988.html

From what I've read, I think it was Ed Mann who was the biggest instigator in causing the rift between Thunes and the rest of the band.

Edited by Doddy

5 minutes ago, Doddy said:

From what I've read, I think it was Ed Mann who was the biggest instigator in causing the rift between Thunes and the rest of the band.

The story I heard was Chad Wackerman. I think that most of the band apparently hated Scott Thunes! 

Some light relief ,  FZ lovers.

Wonderful labour of love and stunning claymation stop action by the late Bruce Bickford.  RIP.

You can imagine how long this took, moving every piece of plasticine by a tiny amount and photographing it. Great vocal by Adrian Belew

Enjoy

Edited by fleabag
  • Thanks 1

Saw it via torrent day after it came out. Frank still infuriates me. Some of the most beautiful music ever made,his solos are sublime. Also a nerdy egotistical chocolate starfish who was rubbish at comedy and who didnt treat women to well. Again I can see myself in there which is probably why I still love him. 

Edited by YouMa