Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird or Thundergun??

P-Belly Evans

Hi all.

Never thought I would say this but I am currently considering selling my 2013 Thunderbird and getting a Thundergun (or possibly a Mercalli). Now I love my Thunderbird, but I feel that pre-lock down, I was possibly a bit too precious over where I would take it gig wise. Plus the case could double as a coffin 😂.  I use the TBird for everything from funk/Motown to Rock/Power Pop and everything in between. I do not see it as a one trick pony at all and love the tone it produces with rounds or flats, with a plectrum, fingers or even a bit of slap.

But the Thundergun just looks so damn tasty, I can't stop thinking about it.  The price point seems really reasonable too. Just got no chance of trying one out really.

Now I already have a P, a Jazz, a Harley Benton Stingray HH copy, a Vintera Mustang, a Westone Thunder II and an EBO, so have loads of other tones on tap already and my worry is that I will lose a particularly distinctive tone from my armoury for the sake of GAS. 

So if you would mind, and just for the fun of it let me have your opinions  - the more subjective and opinionated the better 😁👌.

Ta very muchly. 

P. S posted this on talkbass too so it will be interesting to compare the opinions!!! 

I'd stick with the Tbird.  It's already doing what you need it to do, to the extent you're worried about losing it.  The Thundergun has a significant chance of being a big disappointment to you, and then what?

(Personally I won't be giving my money to anyone who thinks that "Rock is war", either.  But that's just me.) 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alyctes said:

I'd stick with the Tbird.  It's already doing what you need it to do, to the extent you're worried about losing it.  The Thundergun has a significant chance of being a big disappointment to you, and then what?

(Personally I won't be giving my money to anyone who thinks that "Rock is war", either.  But that's just me.) 

I hear you too... 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, NancyJohnson said:

Ken Haas offered me an artist endorsement a few years ago; I was in love with Thundergun basses, just needed a backup to my Thunderbirds and something I could be a bit carefree with.

They were rare over here...contacted Reverend direct.

I feel the carefree thing totally. I disagree with all the negative chitter chatter about TBirds (especially the modern ones) neck diving, being one trick pony's etc etc, but if one thing has kind of haunted me is this notion of fragility. I have another through neck bass, which I don't  feel in any way twitchy about. Maybe I should just get on with it and play it everywhere live. I am not normally one to give a toss. But I struggle to shake it off. I can't even think it is particularly nickable either. I remember in the early 90s having to run on stage with my bass when the other bands bassist (and mate) accidentally smashed the headstock off his Washburn. Horrid - and that was a bolt on..... 

2 hours ago, Grahambythesea said:

Nah, Thunderbird is a great looking and playing classic. The thundergun just looks weird - designed by a committee perhaps 👎

Agree about the Thunderbird totally. Wonderful neck on them too. Still love the look of the Reverend though......