Why become a member? ×

First build complete! 32" scale 5 string

benh

Well, first step taken - roughly sketched and wood picked! Was going to buy a kit to build originally but decided to take a risk. Opinions welcome on design - sticking with something relatively basic for now.

The plan is 5 string, 34" scale, bolt on, ash body with spalted alder top (couldn't resist) and padauk neck (love the colour). Undecided on fretboard material yet.

I wasn't sure whether to post this or not - I'm a long time lurker in the Build Diaries section, and am constantly amazed by the skills of the members in here. So any input is most welcome!

IMG_20210310_220635.jpg

IMG20210305181246.jpg

Edited by benh
Changed title
  • Like 12

Thanks guys! May well be a slow one I'm afraid. 

37 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

Good man!

What sort of space have you got to work in?

A combination of a Workmate in the garden and my dining table (don't tell the Mrs). 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think the drawing looks great and the choice of wood sounds really good too. What are the good choices for a fretboard apart from rosewood? The Ibanez I have on order has a jatoba fretboard - and I can't say anything about jatoba because after a month it's still on order.

It would be really interesting to see how the build progresses. I'm imagining an expensive fat Bartolini pickup on there.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, jazzburger said:

I think the drawing looks great and the choice of wood sounds really good too. What are the good choices for a fretboard apart from rosewood? The Ibanez I have on order has a jatoba fretboard - and I can't say anything about jatoba because after a month it's still on order.

It would be really interesting to see how the build progresses. I'm imagining an expensive fat Bartolini pickup on there.

Thanks - glad people seem to like the body shape so far. I can't help feeling it might look a bit weird flat, but I'm not sure my skills would extend to a carved top!

At the moment I'm leaning towards a wenge board - loved the feel of it on an old Warwick I had. Not sure how it'll look with the padauk neck though.

I must admit, a fat Bartolini does have appeal - I haven't fully decided on pickups yet. Any ideas are welcome!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, benh said:

I blame @Andyjr1515 for my sudden compulsion to use a single SIMS Superquad 🙂

I'm sure the real blame resides beyond our esteemed luthier and purveyor of riveting build threads, rather a certain client who will remain untagged.

The Superquad is a no brainer for a single pickup bass, as it's not actually a 'single pickup' bass.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, ezbass said:

The Superquad is a no brainer for a single pickup bass, as it's not actually a 'single pickup' bass.

Joking aside, this is exactly why I'm seriously contemplating it. I've tried to overlay a few different pickup configurations onto the body shape, and 2 pickups just looks... weird I guess. Definitely leaning towards just the 1. Will have a play around and post some pics later tonight and see what people think.

• Like 2

loving the shape of this, will be watching with interest.

24 minutes ago, ezbass said:

I'm sure the real blame resides beyond our esteemed luthier and purveyor of riveting build threads, rather a certain client who will remain untagged.

17 minutes ago, benh said:

Joking aside, this is exactly why I'm seriously contemplating it. I've tried to overlay a few different pickup configurations onto the body shape, and 2 pickups just looks... weird I guess. Definitely leaning towards just the 1. Will have a play around and post some pics later tonight and see what people think.

the SIMS superquad does seem to be the ultimate choice for a single pickup bass, that's pretty much what pushed me over the edge and got my 5 string shortscale build underway, i own some 2 pickup basses but only ever seem to use one pickup on each so the 3 in 1 pickup is perfect (and they are expensive so only buying one helps)

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, benh said:

Thanks guys! May well be a slow one I'm afraid. 

A combination of a Workmate in the garden and my dining table (don't tell the Mrs). 

You will know of course that it is not the workshop that makes the bass as our Andy frequently demonstrates.  The only way is onwards and upwards.

Enjoy the trip.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, benh said:

A combination of a Workmate in the garden and my dining table (don't tell the Mrs)

More of my builds have been done on a Workmate on the back patio than on my more recently acquired cellar workbench.  You do tend to get quite skilled at following weather forecasts :D.  And likewise, not a word to MrsAndyjr1515 ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Love the look of this already, that wood combinbation is going to be a stunner. padauk and wenge are a cracking combo colour wise id say.

beyond pickups any idea on electronics/controls? looking forward to seeing this come together!

and +1 on working on the dining table/a workmate, a proper workshop only makes things faster, not easier :) do you think there's a woodworkers WAG's forum somewhere where they all meet up to complain?

• Haha 4

Welcome to the the world of building! I’m sure you’ll really enjoy making this bass - it really is satisfying to play something that you made.

I like the design - my only comment would be to ensure the neck pocket is long enough. It possibly looks a little short to me from the drawing by the time you curve the top horn to the lower horn (if that makes sense!) but it isn’t always easy to tell when you’re viewing it on a phone!!

I stuck a passive Bartolini pickup in a bass recently with a switch for single / series / parallel and you can get a decent range of tones from that. EMG TW pickups are also pretty decent to switch between coils.

Make sure you keep posting pictures - look forward to seeing this progress.

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Jezza makes a good point about the neck pocket. In line with my belief around lines flowing you could solve this by curving the lower front horn up inline with the bottom edge of the upper horn

Possibly shorten the lower horn?

Body mod.png

Edited by TheGreek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent point @Jabba_the_gut - and thanks for the edit @TheGreek! I'd considered that. Also toying with the idea of going a bit further and making it a set neck - especially if I'm going single pickup, the neck tenon I feel could be plenty long/strong enough, and hidden under the top. However this could soon overtake my meagre skillset!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mhoss32 said:

beyond pickups any idea on electronics/controls? looking forward to seeing this come together!

Thanks - not 100% decided on electronics yet. Depends what pickup I decide to go for - I think the phrase "flying by the seat of my pants" applies at the moment 😅

Just now, Jabba_the_gut said:

If you stick to a bolt on for your first build, if anything goes seriously wrong you only lose a neck or a body not both. 

Very true, and probably the way I'll go to be honest. Glad I posted this thread,  good advice already.

8 hours ago, benh said:

That's classed as a standard workshop on here 😁 you are in good company 👍🏼 and will never be short of brilliant advice or opinion 👌🏼

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Maybe don't put the Superquad so close to the bridge. Use the good old Leo 70's Jazz Bass position for the single coil placement or use the MusicMan Stingray placement.

Think about purpleheart for the fingerboard as it will age the same way as the padauk, I mean that reddish browny.

I really like the body shape.

• Thanks 1

• benh changed the title to First build complete! 32" scale 5 string